Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Researching a forthcoming holiday in Sicily on TripAdvisor and the forum is cluttered with folk, mostly but not exclusively Yanks, obsessing about hiring cars, getting parked etc. Using public transport or getting off their arses and walking seems an alien concept. 

Plenty buses and trains to get around though the trains are slower than the buses, personally I'd shit myself driving there, especially in the cities. Yanks aren't used to 1st World transport infrastructure. 

21 hours ago, BTFD said:

I'd have thought they'd legally need a driver, for now. This will be a short-term measure to test the technology until they can run buses without staff. There's no way bus companies would be spending money on this now unless they believe it'll save them money on wages in the long run.

I don't see how that'll work, personally. I don't know how they'll manage to enforce payment, considering they have to allow passengers to leave. Drivers are vulnerable enough on their own, but there'll be nothing to stop vandalism. When people vomit/piss/shit on buses, drivers are instructed to return to the depot - what happens with no humans present? What's the bus supposed to do if someone blocks the door?

I can't see it happening without passengers being expected to take on some of the driver's responsibilities, and the vehicles becoming even more unpleasant places than they can already be at times. Doesn't mean it won't happen, of course.

The last bus up Balgrayhill Road on a Friday night is going to be even more mental

On 14/05/2023 at 11:01, BTFD said:

I remember Throbs laughing at my fatalism a while back. Looks like I sewed some seeds.

If he becomes a Bigfoot truther, we'll know who's been whispering in his ear.

Nimble fingers indeed.

7 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Researching a forthcoming holiday in Sicily on TripAdvisor and the forum is cluttered with folk, mostly but not exclusively Yanks, obsessing about hiring cars, getting parked etc. Using public transport or getting off their arses and walking seems an alien concept. 

Even the idea of taking mass transit outside of a major city (London, Paris, etc) is completely outside the realm of possibility to the average American. 45% of Americans have zero access to mass transit, and fewer than 11% use it at least weekly. Add to that, 11% of Americans have never left the State they were born in and 41% have never left the U.S. (only that low due to Mexico and Canada), you see why the idea of a bus in Sicily would be completely outside their perception.

Additionally, mass transit to most traveling Yanks is Metro/Tube/Rail…only residents of major cities, outside of a small percentage who have ridden the Greyhound, have likely even experienced buses. The average Yank told to catch the 16 bus would panic and have no idea how to figure a route or schedule, let alone get on or pay for a bus.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

The heavy cold-hayfever combo which causes you to feel entirely blocked up, while simultaneously having a constantly runny nose and watering eyes

It's a right b*****d eh?? I started taking my fexofenadine tablets a month early to try and build up some immunity, but it's not helped. The areas outwith the estate are work are predominantly fields, which doesn't help either.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

Nimble fingers indeed.

I've been doing that more and more lately. How embarrassing.

Take me out to the woodshed if I ever refer to Rangers being relegated. It'll be a kindness.

That hesitant weird slow walk that late-middle age / recently retired couples do when they walk into a pub or restaurant.

I suspect my dog concurs, as so far they're the only type of folk he's growled at.  Shifty f***ers.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

That hesitant weird slow walk that late-middle age / recently retired couples do when they walk into a pub or restaurant.

I suspect my dog concurs, as so far they're the only type of folk he's growled at.  Shifty f***ers.

Sorry but this has lost me...and not because I'm an exponent of said walk. Just don't know what you mean.

Edited by jimbaxters

The STV and BBC Scotland news obsession with ferries. Yes the two incomplete new builds are a newsworthy scandal but a ferry having a technical issue or a cancellation due to adverse weather or tidal conditions just isn't worthy of the National news. I saw a post on Twitter earlier that said there were 11 flights cancelled and 39 trains cancelled in Scotland last weekend. Not 1 was reported in the news yet the cancellation of a ferry from Arran due to fog was deemed headline news. I can't remember the last bulletin I watched without a "ferry" story.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The STV and BBC Scotland news obsession with the SNP.

Fixed.

I'm not a shortbread tin (foil hat) nationalist, but I suspect that the BBC is quite into running stories that undermine the SNP and further erode their support up north.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Fixed.

I'm not a shortbread tin (foil hat) nationalist, but I suspect that the BBC is quite into running stories that undermine the SNP and further erode their support up north.

I wasn't even meaning in a political sense.  It's not always reported in that context but every single cancelation or rescheduling seems to make the National bulletins yet flight and train cancellations generally don't. Perhaps I'm being naive and it is a subliminal political dig but it's tedious now.

I was on a course today, feeling a bit windy, I walked quietly to the back of the workshop to let one off.

Just as I was about to let off a ripper I saw a colleague approach from the side, I swear I clenched so hard, my throat puffed up like a mating frog.