Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 hours ago, stanton said:

People who try to buy alcohol in a supermarket a 9am on a Sunday 

We sometimes used to go for our weekly shop early on a Sunday.  Being unable to buy a bottle of wine with the food was a pain in the arse.  More so the Tesco or M&S meal deals that included wine.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We sometimes used to go for our weekly shop early on a Sunday.  Being unable to buy a bottle of wine with the food was a pain in the arse.  More so the Tesco or M&S meal deals that included wine.

The whole supermarket/shop licencing hours thing is a farce as far as this stuff's concerned. Aye, ok pub and restaurant opening hours etc need regulated, but being restricted when doing your weekly shop or whatever is a nonsense. In the modern world people work all hours of the day and should be able to buy what they want, when they want. Why should a dayshift worker be able to buy a wee drink after a shift and not someone on nights? Your work schedule and body clock being at odds with what is perceived as 'normal' shouldn't be a barrier to having what those in that 'normal' cycle have. Always pissed me off when I worked nights, that.

I know folk will say you can/should plan ahead, but why should you need to? After a strenuous or stressful shift should you not be able to, on a whim, just say "f**k it, I need a beer"and just buy one? Mon the drinkers. 

As to buying booze on a Sunday now, they're only not allowed to sell it before 10am on a Sunday. You can open it and start drinking so long asyou time the rest of your shopping to mean you hit the tills at 10. The discernng shopper like what we are always carries a corkscrew. 

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure it used to be midday before it was changed 

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

That's still the case.

"Browsing only" from 1130 until 12 IIRC

Depends on the shop. If it's over a certain square footage, they can only open 6hrs on a Sunday. Some "open" half an hour early for browsing, others don't.  

Smaller shops can open for longer. Sunday trading hours still piss me off. 

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Depends on the shop. If it's over a certain square footage, they can only open 6hrs on a Sunday. Some "open" half an hour early for browsing, others don't.  

Is that not an English thing?

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

As to buying booze on a Sunday now, they're only not allowed to sell it before 10am on a Sunday. You can open it and start drinking so long asyou time the rest of your shopping to mean you hit the tills at 10. The discernng shopper like what we are always carries a corkscrew. 

Pretty sure it's 10am any day of the week in Scotland. 

Unless Wee Frees rules apply.. 

In Thailand at supermarkets and 7/11 you can only buy booze between 12;00 and 14:00 then again at 17;00 to 23:00, however, you can walk next door  to the house/shops and buy it 24hrs a day.

That's bizarre.  

10 hours ago, Michael W said:

There was a big debate and vote on this a while ago and the "keep sunday special" mob won. If God can rest on the seventh day, then it stands to reason that, dependent on which sector you work in and on the size of the building you're employed in, people should also be able to rest for an arbitrary amount of time that's not actually a real day off. Medieval shite. 

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

In Thailand at supermarkets and 7/11 you can only buy booze between 12;00 and 14:00 then again at 17;00 to 23:00, however, you can walk next door  to the house/shops and buy it 24hrs a day.

That's bizarre.  

Here we can buy bevvy anytime the shop is open and when it's not we can do the same as you and buy from a neighbourhood 'shop'.  Strangely though, we cannot buy for the 2 days around an election like we had last week. 

55 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There was a big debate and vote on this a while ago and the "keep sunday special" mob won. If God can rest on the seventh day, then it stands to reason that, dependent on which sector you work in and on the size of the building you're employed in, people should also be able to rest for an arbitrary amount of time that's not actually a real day off. Medieval shite. 

People who work in shops should've stuck in at the school. Because they didn't I expect them to sell anything I want at anytime.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Had to move seats on a ferry due to an older guy very noisily eating. He was 3 rows in front of me but I couldn't listen any longer. Also not helped by the sight of someone scoffing crisps and Irn Bru at 6:55am giving me the boak.

Ferry Alli?