Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 hours ago, Big Bobo said:

Another good thing about the Weatherspoons app is you can buy your mate a drink if you find out the Spoons they are in and the table number. Done this a few times to get them a drink for their birthday. 

There's also at least one facebook group that's shown up as recommended to me. Folk upload pictures of themselves, share the pub and table number and random internet folk buy them drinks through the app. Broadcasting your picture and location to all of facebook where people like me who aren't even in the group can see it sounds like a very weird thing to do and probably invites a whole load of creeps and stalkers.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Euthanasia not being legal on this shithole island*. 

My wife's nana (aye, whatever) has had dementia for about 5 years now. It was about 3 years ago she forgot who we all were and just over a year ago her husband couldn't manage anymore and she was placed in a home. A combination of malnutrition and a mass (which we assume is cancer) has resulted in her losing all her weight and being a walking skeleton. Until last Monday when she became bedridden and non responsive. She's been on a driver all week and how she's still here is absolutely remarkable. She's literally smelling of death now as well. How anyone can see this situation and disagree with euthanasia absolutely baffles and enrages me. 

Putting aside religious bullshit, how can anyone be against this? 

* Isle of Man excluded as they had the sense to legalise it. 

It is appalling that in a 'civilised' society that would not allow or want you to keep a pet in such pain and suffering expects you to maintain truly loved human beings. I have a relative now in a home due to dementia, my mother does not want me to visit but maintain my memories of them, and ever time she talks of her visits I know it is killing her seeing our relative like that.

And all maintained due to various sky-fairy beliefs mostly.

We should all be grateful that governments value the sanctity of life so much that they'll keep us technically alive and suffering until the final bitter death rattles. If they didn't, they might throw our children into the meat grinder of war just to obtain land and property for extremely wealthy people.

Imagine how awful it would be to live in that world!

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

My wife's nana (aye, whatever) has had dementia for about 5 years now. It was about 3 years ago she forgot who we all were and just over a year ago her husband couldn't manage anymore and she was placed in a home. A combination of malnutrition and a mass (which we assume is cancer) has resulted in her losing all her weight and being a walking skeleton. Until last Monday when she became bedridden and non responsive. She's been on a driver all week and how she's still here is absolutely remarkable. She's literally smelling of death now as well. How anyone can see this situation and disagree with euthanasia absolutely baffles and enrages me. 

I agree 100% that euthanasia should be legal. With the latest proposals going around though I think someone with dementia would not be allowed it (must be of sound mind, etc). 

I saw my old man endure 3 months of utter hell with throat cancer before dying. He had other illnesses before (he was in severe heart failure for about a year) but cancer came along and just took his entire quality of life. His neighbour had died the year before of a sudden heart attack, and I remember my dad saying that the neighbour had "won the golden ticket". A far better way to go, he was thinking, than enduring what he was going through. 

16 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I agree 100% that euthanasia should be legal. With the latest proposals going around though I think someone with dementia would not be allowed it (must be of sound mind, etc). 

I saw my old man endure 3 months of utter hell with throat cancer before dying. He had other illnesses before (he was in severe heart failure for about a year) but cancer came along and just took his entire quality of life. His neighbour had died the year before of a sudden heart attack, and I remember my dad saying that the neighbour had "won the golden ticket". A far better way to go, he was thinking, than enduring what he was going through. 

Dementia being exempt is shocking in itself. In this instance it's more the bedridden aspect. She's lying until her heart decides to stop, the family are all shattered waiting for the inevitable as well. It's cruel for everyone. As @MEADOWXI said - you wouldn't let an animal live in this condition. 

20 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Did you know JD Wetherspoon doesn’t exist, but Tim Martin just made up the name.

JD comes from JD Boss Hogg in Dukes of Hazzard and Wetherspoon is the surname of a teacher he hated who was tee total.

Apparently the teacher said he’d never do anything with his life.

Needless to say, TM had the last laugh 🤭 🍺

But he's still a c**t.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

That is awful. I know how you feel. My Dad passed away recently and the last few days of his life were hell. He couldn't speak and had a lot of drips in and was on oxygen. It was heartbreaking to watch and when he finally passed at least he was out of pain. Before he got to the last week he kept asking me for a pill to take. He also was asking the doctors and nurses. 

As mentioned you would not put your pet through that.

I wish you and your family all the best and hopefully she will be out of pain soon.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

That is horrible to read. At least your Dad is at peace now.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Didn't expect to see this on "petty" things...

The most influential opposition in Scotland doesn't come from religions, it comes from several mainstream disability groups. Religions aren't strong enough to stop things like this on their own any more but politicians are terrified of being described by disability representatives as the new Mengele. See: https://www.carenotkilling.org.uk/press-releases/press-release-broad-opposition-to-scottish-bill 

To be clear, I totally agree with you and I don't think the fears about euthanasia justify forcing huge numbers of people to die in agony. The principle is overwhelming; it's my body and nobody should get to tell me that I'm not allowed to check out when the time comes - or risk prison for helping me go.

When did 'date night' become a thing?

Neighbours asked me to baby sit their weans, which I always do when I can.

However they said "date night tonight... *giggle*"

Just say you're getting fired right in later.

On 13/05/2024 at 13:26, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Apparently the teacher said he’d never do anything with his life.

Needless to say, TM had the last laugh 🤭 🍺

That's the ultimate proving someone wrong. I don't personally feel the need to start a pub chain to achieve that goal as I I've been in a position to take advantage of the ample opportunity to prove the folk on these boards wrong, so that'll do for me. 

5 hours ago, 2426255 said:

That's the ultimate proving someone wrong. I don't personally feel the need to start a pub chain to achieve that goal as I I've been in a position to take advantage of the ample opportunity to prove the folk on these boards wrong, so that'll do for me. 

Red dotting?

On 14/05/2024 at 07:24, BFTD said:

We should all be grateful that governments value the sanctity of life so much that they'll keep us technically alive and suffering until the final bitter death rattles. If they didn't, they might throw our children into the meat grinder of war just to obtain land and property for extremely wealthy people.

Imagine how awful it would be to live in that world!

Sending the terminally-ill off to the trenches to meet a glorious end fighting for king & country sounds like the obvious solution here.

Suella Braverman Is drafting the legislation as we speak.

15 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Red dotting?

Yes. That's one of many tools in the belt that I have at my disposal. It can help me to secure a dominant position.

Ken this is very Thistley.

Bad translations of poetry get on my wick. I was reading a book of Hafiz poetry the other day that I had to put down as the American translator put too much of himself into the translation for it to pass as the work of a  14th century Sufi. Any Robert Bly translation of Spanish poetry can get in the sea as well (I love him for "iron John" which is one of my top two books on masculinity, but translating "bendito illusiõn" as anything other than "blessed illusion".....especially not as "marvellous error" should get you jail time).

28 minutes ago, velo army said:

Bad translations of poetry get on my wick. I was reading a book of Hafiz poetry the other day that I had to put down as the American translator put too much of himself into the translation for it to pass as the work of a  14th century Sufi. Any Robert Bly translation of Spanish poetry can get in the sea as well (I love him for "iron John" which is one of my top two books on masculinity, but translating "bendito illusiõn" as anything other than "blessed illusion".....especially not as "marvellous error" should get you jail time).

That is the most Partick Thistle post ever, well played.

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

Mistranslations of 14th century Spanish poetry thread for this.

People who choose to order Cod at a chippy when Haddock is also on the menu is something I have a completely irrational annoyance about. 

Why would you eat one type of fish when a far more flavourful one is also on the menu? 

Why?????

*fish snobs need not reply.