Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

5 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've thankfully never heard that before. It's confusing though when speaking to continental Europeans and their half past means an hour previous. Has caused timings with the missus to be all mucked up.

That's just wrong on every conceivable level. I hope you not shy in telling them that in order for it to be PAST a particular hour it must first have turned to that hour i.e. half past four CANNOT in any way shape or form be three thirty as it has not passed the hour of four o'clock

That's just wrong on every conceivable level. I hope you not shy in telling them that in order for it to be PAST a particular hour it must first have turned to that hour i.e. half past four CANNOT in any way shape or form be three thirty as it has not passed the hour of four o'clock

In German "Es ist halb zwölf" means "It's half to twelve" i.e. 1130. If you think about it, it makes as much sense as us saying "It's half past eleven". We even say "Quarter to..."

6 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I've thankfully never heard that before. It's confusing though when speaking to continental Europeans and their half past means an hour previous. Has caused timings with the missus to be all mucked up.

You've made a baws of that - it sounds like it's an hour later rather than earlier.  Thus half past three in the UK comes across as half to four for the continental Europeans.

Nah - it's nearer the half hour than the hour so outside of 'back of' territory.

My wife (always a shrewd arbiter in these kinds of matters) just said the cut off point was 20 past the hour. Since she holds the sex keys I'm happy to go with that as an acceptable compromise.

Just now, pandarilla said:

My wife (always a shrewd arbiter in these kinds of matters) just said the cut off point was 20 past the hour. Since she holds the sex keys I'm happy to go with that as an acceptable compromise.

Well if that's all that's needed to win an argument...what are you doing later?

You've made a baws of that - it sounds like it's an hour later rather than earlier.  Thus half past three in the UK comes across as half to four for the continental Europeans.

That's plenty from you, Tommy Time Zone.