Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

A Chinese takeaway/caravan type thing has shut down at Fort Kinnaird in Edinburgh, and they've opened a takeaway beside some shops about 10 minutes away, and people are actually distraught about it.

I have had 3 takeaways from different Musselburgh Chinese places and all have been absolutely awful.

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:
9 hours ago, CountyFan said:
Am I the only person on the planet who has absolutely no interest whatsoever in 'true crime'? The proliferation of it in the last 5 years, podcasts, documentaries etc etc has been incredible and I haven't watched or listened to a single bit. 
Thinking this might be a classic case of me being right and literally everyone else being wrong. 

Snorkmaiden is currently bemoaning the fact that she has run out of serial killer stories to watch.

Put her in touch with Gunther.

18 hours ago, pawpar said:

Greggs vegan steak bake can f**k right off. If it's got steak in it it's a steak bake if not vegan bake. Can't be both. Don't even get me started on the word veggieburger. 🤬

And now we have this:

https://www.kfc.co.uk/vegan

If you can get vegan stuff in a normal restaurant then by law vegan places should be forced to sell real meat.

Just now, GordonD said:

Nobody. That's the sad part.

So because 'normal' restuarants are broadening their menu in a strategy to get more folk through their doors we should be (by law) force vegetarian restuarants to sell meat?

What a strange outlook. 

13 minutes ago, GordonD said:

And now we have this:

https://www.kfc.co.uk/vegan

If you can get vegan stuff in a normal restaurant then by law vegan places should be forced to sell real meat.

Aren't you the guy who bulk buys vacuum-packed means that cook in the microwave and keep for months in the cupboard?

10 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I'll add, shop owners who think they have some divine right to thrive.

Just recently, we had a guy open a smoke shop near here. No, not that kind of smoking...the traditional stuff - tobacco, cigarettes and the like. It seemed an odd business move to me, given how few people smoke these days and those that do, mostly get their fix from the petrol stations, Walmart or other discount cigarette outlets that seem to be everywhere. Not only that, but he was in a fairly out of the way location with little passing traffic.

I went in with a smoker mate a month or so ago. The guy had a right-wing hate radio show playing, anti-Obama and pro-Trump posters on the wall and a hand-written sign stating "Me no hablo Mexicano" on the counter. Remember the army-surplus guy from the Michael Douglas film "Falling Down"? Yeah, him. I noticed he had a display case of Zippo lighters so I took a look. The design of every one was of the theme "Yeah 'Murica!" and were about 100% more expensive than you can buy them pretty much anywhere else. My mate said his cigarettes were equally stupidly priced. Almost as if the guy was buying them at retail and trying to add his own markup.

We didn't linger.

Anyway, his business lasted about 4 months, which is about 4 months longer than I would've expected. He's currently all over social media ranting "So much for the community spirit", "Whatever happened to supporting local businesses?" and "It's time all you liberals went back to the city!"

I would be quite happy to shop at my local butcher and Baker instead of Aldi or Asda if they were open at a time I could actually get to them. If they choose to open from 9 30 to 5 and take a half day on Wednesday then they only have themselves to blame. 

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Aren't you the guy who bulk buys vacuum-packed means that cook in the microwave and keep for months in the cupboard?

What's your point? Just because I'm not Jamie Oliver, I can't comment on restaurant policy?

5 minutes ago, GordonD said:

What's your point? Just because I'm not Jamie Oliver, I can't comment on restaurant policy?

You're free to comment on it, but I don't think your opinion on food is worth listening to when you care about it so little. Businesses exist to sell things to people. If they think they can make a profit by selling something, they will. I don't see the issue.

12 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Any crime tbf. Fucking telly channels full of it. The wife is obsessed with it. 

Maybe she’s getting some murder tips.

Its the same in my house, wives with knives, killer wives. I've seen her with a notebook watching them.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Businesses exist to sell things to people. If they think they can make a profit by selling something, they will. I don't see the issue.

Well, naturally, that's the very nature of business. But my point is that if you can go into a KFC and order a vegan meal, why doesn't it work the other way? Vegan restaurants could increase their profits by selling meat products so that mixed groups are more likely to eat there.

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Well, naturally, that's the very nature of business. But my point is that if you can go into a KFC and order a vegan meal, why doesn't it work the other way? Vegan restaurants could increase their profits by selling meat products so that mixed groups are more likely to eat there.

I think you might be missing the point of a vegan restaurant. The proprietors are extremely likely to subscribe to a vegan lifestyle so why would they want to cook meat for profit? Have you ever met a vegan?! They'd rather lose money and tell you loudly about it.