Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

47 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Menus which have a 'meat' section and then a separate 'fish' section.  

Fish is meat and no amount of dancing around the subject simply to fit in with people's choosy dietary beliefs is going to change that.

Down with those Pesky Tarians!

Also, where do they put the Surf'n'Turf?

16 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Menus which have a 'meat' section and then a separate 'fish' section.  

^^^ peasant who doesn't appreciate how a four course meal works

Fish is meat and no amount of dancing around the subject simply to fit in with people's choosy dietary beliefs is going to change that.

Fish isn't been considered meat for abstention purposes since the Middle Ages (e.g. Lent in every Catholic European country) so your 'stop just pandering to choosy modern customers' take is off by about 1000 years.

I am also a qualified historian and I feel like writing a book on the role of fish in the 19th Century development of Scottish football now.

I don't think it'll get me on the telly like that Starkey cnut or the posh bird with the big nostrils who's dirty though 

Edited by tamthebam

Talking of things vaguely historical I follow a small town history page on a popular social media website. A couple of folk post old postcards of said town but superimpose copyright stamps on the images.

Fair enough for personal photos but the thing is I'm pretty sure as these are old postcards the posters don't own the copyright.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

This article is about cooking bacon not making it. Americans are just fundamentally unserious people.

image.png.ec5fce458db3d0efddc120051064d13f.png

Baked on parchment for me. Keeps the oven tray free of burnt on bits while keeping the frying pan clean for eggs. And it's delicious. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

^^^ peasant who doesn't appreciate how a four course meal works

Fish isn't been considered meat for abstention purposes since the Middle Ages (e.g. Lent in every Catholic European country) so your 'stop just pandering to choosy modern customers' take is off by about 1000 years.

So choosy modern customers and adherents to a bizarre medieval cult. 

Surely a four course menu would have mains (or entrees for real nobbers) and not meat? It is a false dichotomy. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Fish isn't been considered meat for abstention purposes since the Middle Ages (e.g. Lent in every Catholic European country) so your 'stop just pandering to choosy modern customers' take is off by about 1000 years...

... It's just a commonly-known fact champ

... and for the vast majority of those 1000 years,  a creationist view of a 10,000 year old Earth was widely accepted as 'fact' by these same religious types (and ~40% of Americans even today, the rest of which largely now reinterpret the Bible to fit their beliefs to prevent being proven wrong).  Therefore, the longevity of such an idea is irrelevant and reinterpreting something simply to avoid an inconvenient truth doesn't necessarily make it legitimate.

No respectable dictionary makes an exception for fish in its definition of meat being 'flesh of an animal when used for food' (or variants of this) because everybody, including the thickest knuckle-draggers of society, knows that fish are animals.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's genuinely unacceptable on the modern day menu is specifying when something has Olive Oil in it, then abbreviating it to EVOO.

Or when they put (VG) next to something.  I'll be the judge of whether it's 'very good', thank you very much.

Eta: same applies to (GF) for 'good food'

Edited by Hedgecutter

If I ever win the lottery jackpot (unlikely as I don't buy a ticket) I'll plough the whole lot into scientific research to produce something that looks and tastes like plant but is made entirely from meat. Then I'll flog it to the Vegans and watch their faces when I tell them.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

If I ever win the lottery jackpot (unlikely as I don't buy a ticket) I'll plough the whole lot into scientific research to produce something that looks and tastes like plant but is made entirely from meat. Then I'll flog it to the Vegans and watch their faces when I tell them.

Nyahnyahnyahnyahnyahnyah! I made you eat your parents! Nyahnyahnyahnyahnyahnyah! Nyahnyahnyahnyahnyahnyah!

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

... and for the vast majority of those 1000 years,  a creationist view of a 10,000 year old Earth was widely accepted as 'fact' by these same religious types (and ~40% of Americans even today, the rest of which largely now reinterpret the Bible to fit their beliefs to prevent being proven wrong).  Therefore, the longevity of such an idea is irrelevant and reinterpreting something simply to avoid an inconvenient truth doesn't necessarily make it legitimate.

No respectable dictionary makes an exception for fish in its definition of meat being 'flesh of an animal when used for food' (or variants of this) because everybody, including the thickest knuckle-draggers of society, knows that fish are animals.

Your beige man yelling at a cloud act was premised on the idea that fish was only now being treated as 'not meat' because of dietary fads. That is quite clearly not the case and I'm really not sure why this straightforward fact has provoked a blubbering meltdown tbqhwy.

46 minutes ago, virginton said:

Your beige man yelling at a cloud act was premised on the idea that fish was only now being treated as 'not meat' because of dietary fads. That is quite clearly not the case and I'm really not sure why this straightforward fact has provoked a blubbering meltdown tbqhwy.

After Marillion, life just wasn't the same for him.

8 hours ago, GordonD said:

You could call it Soylent Green