Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Writing the opening line of a work email annoys me. Usually something like "Hope you are well" etc but if it's someone you write to semi regularly you don't want to write the same thing every time.

I even found myself writing "Hope you're staying safe" which makes me cringe even writing it now. I think it has something to do with my aversion to small talk.

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

People who talk about the importance of "getting an away goal" in a 1-0 first leg away win.

Other than potentially helping you win the tie on aggregate, it quite literally gives you no additional benefit.

I'm confused by your post.  The away goal is most definitely an advantage and the first part of your 2nd sentence details why.  

I'm confused by your post.  The away goal is most definitely an advantage and the first part of your 2nd sentence details why.  
I think I get what he says in that the win is important but the away goal doesn't come into affect as for it to matter the other team would need to score away to you anyway

3 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
34 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think I get what he says in that the win is important but the away goal doesn't come into affect as for it to matter the other team would need to score away to you anyway

Cheers...clear now. 

I thought he meant that an away win implies at least one away goal, so there's literally no additional advantage - beyond that implied by winning away from home, which includes having to have scored at least once.

That is, you can't win away from home without scoring at least once; the second and subsequent goals add some potential non-implied value in the away-goals column.

If he meant it that way, I like his thinking.

47 minutes ago, sugna said:

I thought he meant that an away win implies at least one away goal, so there's literally no additional advantage - beyond that implied by winning away from home, which includes having to have scored at least once.

That is, you can't win away from home without scoring at least once; the second and subsequent goals add some potential non-implied value in the away-goals column.

Exactly. A 1-0 away win loses any "away goal" advantage as soon as you conceed at home. It's infinitely better to win 2-1, or even draw 2-2.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, dysartrovers said:
41 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:
Exactly. A 1-0 away win loses any "away goal" advantage as soon as you conceed at home. It's infinitely better to win 2-1, or even draw 2-2.

A 2-2 draw away from home is never better than a 1-0 win in any shape or form

Aye fair point

2 hours ago, sugna said:

Gotta be honest, I think dysartrovers's answer was better!

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Gotta be honest, I think dysartrovers's answer was better!

I wasn't trying to give a "better" answer, based on what I personally thought; I was trying to interpret what @Todd_is_God had written as accurately as I could.

(As you can see from a few posts up, he has confirmed that my interpretation was correct.)

7 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Writing the opening line of a work email annoys me. Usually something like "Hope you are well" etc but if it's someone you write to semi regularly you don't want to write the same thing every time.

I even found myself writing "Hope you're staying safe" which makes me cringe even writing it now. I think it has something to do with my aversion to small talk.

"Dear Colleague, 

Weather is here. Wish you were nice..." 

13 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I've ignored "Covid protocol" and stuck to my usual

Hi...

Thanks

I don't care if they are safe and well. I don't want enquiries about my health. 

15 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I don't think I ever bothered with that kind of chit chat, I just fired straight into the content.

Anyway, a lot of the folk I dealt with - particularly at my last job - I didn't want the recipient to be well or safe.

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't think I ever bothered with that kind of chit chat, I just fired straight into the content.

Anyway, a lot of the folk I dealt with - particularly at my last job - I didn't want the recipient to be well or safe.

If it's colleagues I don't but if it's semi formal/ formal you have to put something. It sounds so curmudgeonly but I hate "fluff" of superfluous chat, written or verbal.

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

If it's colleagues I don't but if it's semi formal/ formal you have to put something. 

I think you've got this the wrong way round. If I'm speaking to a colleague I've not spoken to in a while I'll generally ask how they are but a customer I am formally dealing with? No chance. Tell me what you need and f**k off.