Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

19 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Back in the days where newspapers weren't allowed to have the TV listing so you would need to get The Radio Times and the TV Times at Christmas 

My wife still insists on getting the radio times at Christmas, despite the fact we hardly ever watch live TV, or even record stuff as we have an iptv app that essentially has everything you could ever hope to watch, series and films, on it. Fucking bizarre behaviour. 

Being obliged to tell kids that their slow storybook readings or attempts at playing instruments are 'very good'.
In an ideal world, telling them that they're still rubbish would encourage them to practice more.
Listening to my P1 kid's Google class meetings is excruciating. The teacher praising a pupil, who has just spent half a minute with a few failed guesses trying to tell her what letter their name starts with, as if they have just recited pi to 10 decimal places. I'm sure at that age my teachers were publicly humiliating you for getting i and e the wrong way round.

You haven't lived until you've watched a game live on Teletext. 
Nothing was more exciting on a Saturday afternoon than watching TV with the Scottish Premier teletext page on hide and then seeing the page number update in the corner of the screen.

26 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
11 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:
You haven't lived until you've watched a game live on Teletext. 

Nothing was more exciting on a Saturday afternoon than watching TV with the Scottish Premier teletext page on hide and then seeing the page number update in the corner of the screen.

I feel that my knowledge of the lowest tiers of English football has significantly deteriorated since Ceefax/Teletext disappeared.

Are Kidderminster Harriers still a thing?

Edited by Hedgecutter

When they did remove the monopoly, Private Eye ran a spoof Radio Times Film Preview column in which the BBC were showing dross like Police Academy 7 and similar stuff, all of which were praised to the skies, while ITV had the big blockbusters which only got one star each.

It used to be you pressed a button and the tv came on at the last channel you were watching. Now I have to go through umpteen different options and wait for it to make up it's mind.

And they call this progress? grrrr 

41 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:
15 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:
Being obliged to tell kids that their slow storybook readings or attempts at playing instruments are 'very good'.
In an ideal world, telling them that they're still rubbish would encourage them to practice more.

Listening to my P1 kid's Google class meetings is excruciating. The teacher praising a pupil, who has just spent half a minute with a few failed guesses trying to tell her what letter their name starts with, as if they have just recited pi to 10 decimal places. I'm sure at that age my teachers were publicly humiliating you for getting i and e the wrong way round.

See where you're coming from but the teacher is of the modern era where public humiliation is somewhat frowned upon. Also, if you're listening then so will other parents be. Imagine they called a child out on a mistake in front of everyone?

1 minute ago, NewBornBairn said:

It used to be you pressed a button and the tv came on at the last channel you were watching. Now I have to go through umpteen different options and wait for it to make up it's mind.

True, but the "Resume" option on Netflix is glorious.

Just now, GordonD said:

When they did remove the monopoly, Private Eye ran a spoof Radio Times Film Preview column in which the BBC were showing dross like Police Academy 7 and similar stuff, all of which were praised to the skies, while ITV had the big blockbusters which only got one star each.

The BBC still do that - read anything by their "arts" correspondent Will Gompertz.  If it's not on the BBC or at the South Bank Theatre, it's shit apparently. 

I'm in the Philippines - we are looking forward to getting Teletext here soon.
I spent a lot of Saturday afternoons in the 80s dejectedly watching page 311 updating.

Now my phone immediately informs me when Killie go behind. Not sure it's an improvement, tbf.

Prime video's equivalent annoyingly plays a random amount of the previously watched segment - from a few seconds to a couple of minutes - except when it fucking doesn't. PPTGOYN for this pish, I know

On 12/02/2021 at 12:36, GiGi said:

😂

Guess how much further on with this I am. Ombudsman it is.

They were 2 days late on their maximum time for a call back (10 working days so over a fortnight) yesterday to tell me whatever the f**k was happening, so I called them properly fuming about it for the first time in all my calls with them, and in full Karen mode demanded a customer service manager call me directly to explain to me what the f**k they're playing at, why they haven't fixed anything, why they're not telling me anything and when I'm getting my fucking money back. They said the manager would be calling me at a time of my choosing today. Great I says, 9am sharp please.

Now 12pm and you can guess whether or not a service manager, or indeed anyone from the company, has bothered to pick up the phone. I've just called them again to read the riot act at this latest abject failure in service for an ongoing complaint and the manager in question has just called me now to explain that there is no update to give, and when I said 'not good enough' and asked for a more senior person to step in they said the soonest I can speak to anyone in the directors' team is the 23rd. She probably heard my palm hitting my forehead.

I will be compiling a Rafa Benitez Book of Facts this afternoon. Time to wring out as much compo from these idiots as possible.

Received this message from the Ombudsman today:

image.png.8d9fb767517eb9d8bce6da353ca0bfc7.png

I kind of laughed a bit then went into full purple-faced, frothing-at-the-mouth rage. At this stage I'll be checking in at the Heads Gone thread.

Just a reminder that this has been outstanding since the end of fucking November.

They are asking for evidence of reasonable attempt to escalate, and consider tht 3 calls merits reasonable attempt to do so. I've just sent them 3 full-page screenshots of my call log with Scottish Power since 30th November, such is the length of this stupid saga. The screenshots accompanied by a passive aggressive rant at how each of the 20 odd calls made to and from my phone with these idiots should be recorded at their end, which would have saved them from annoying me any further.

Received this message from the Ombudsman today:
image.png.8d9fb767517eb9d8bce6da353ca0bfc7.png
I kind of laughed a bit then went into full purple-faced, frothing-at-the-mouth rage. At this stage I'll be checking in at the Heads Gone thread.
Just a reminder that this has been outstanding since the end of fucking November.
They are asking for evidence of reasonable attempt to escalate, and consider tht 3 calls merits reasonable attempt to do so. I've just sent them 3 full-page screenshots of my call log with Scottish Power since 30th November, such is the length of this stupid saga. The screenshots accompanied by a passive aggressive rant at how each of the 20 odd calls made to and from my phone with these idiots should be recorded at their end, which would have saved them from annoying me any further.
If you have the call log from 30th November you could agree they haven't had 8 weeks, they have had 13.
Effing useless

10 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

If you have the call log from 30th November you could agree they haven't had 8 weeks, they have had 13.
Effing useless

Quite. It's remarkably on form of them to take 3 weeks to respond to a complaint about a complaint from over 10 weeks earlier only to try and have it withdrawn on a technicality like some bum episode of suits. It's pretty insulting but hopefully the logs I've provided will see the OS get the cattle prod out now.

7 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Freeview boxes still do this. Terrible news for those of us who dozed off after having made full use of babestation back in the 2010s 

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Actually, my pet hate is that after three episodes Netflix asks you "Are you still watching (insert name of show)?" Well, fucking obviously I am...

The whole concept of having the thing is to be able to watch rafts of successive episodes of something.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Actually, my pet hate is that after three episodes Netflix asks you "Are you still watching (insert name of show)?" Well, fucking obviously I am...

The whole concept of having the thing is to be able to watch rafts of successive episodes of something.

It's to check you haven't wandered off out of the room and left it switched on, as it costs them money to keep streaming it to you. YouTube and, I'd imagine, all the other streaming services do the same thing.

The 'special applause' from crowds watching standup where somebody has evidently thought that one particular joke is deserving of an applause from every single person in the arena.  First three seconds are always awkward as f**k as folk are torn between going along with it or just laughing at it like you're meant to do.

Has that always been a thing btw, or is a recent phenomenon?

Edited by Hedgecutter

Ceefax page 399 was for us followers of non League pondlife. But you had to wait until after 10 pm usually and then wait for the pages to go past the Welsh League and other obscure English leagues to get the East of Scotland League results.