Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I don't know what's worse; that people still remember the Teletext page numbers that they used to use twenty years ago, or that the mention of each one brings back a sudden burst of memories and I know exactly what page they're referring to.

Instructions on self-assembly furniture, or the lack off.  We had a gaming chair delivered today.  Critical details like which way the arms should be fitted and whether the lift lever should be at the front or back were not detailed, and what part the 4 washers were to play in the ensuing fiasco still remains a mystery - the picture was no help.  Of course, where there is a 50/50 chance of getting it right,  it ultimately turns out wrong.   Didn't help when both my wife and son reminded me that I told the delivery guys I'd take care of assembling the thing.   

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Instructions on self-assembly furniture, or the lack off.  We had a gaming chair delivered today.  Critical details like which way the arms should be fitted and whether the lift lever should be at the front or back were not detailed, and what part the 4 washers were to play in the ensuing fiasco still remains a mystery - the picture was no help.  Of course, where there is a 50/50 chance of getting it right,  it ultimately turns out wrong.   Didn't help when both my wife and son reminded me that I told the delivery guys I'd take care of assembling the thing.   

I told the wife when we moved to this house there would be no more self-assembly shite. Now we don't have as much but it's all solid and built to last.  

5 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I told the wife when we moved to this house there would be no more self-assembly shite. Now we don't have as much but it's all solid and built to last.  

The bloke in the store said the chair was pre-assembled but when it arrived it wasn't.  The delivery guy "offered" to build it but he didn't look like he was up to the job.  

In fact, we have 2 wardrobes and 2 chests of drawers from Ikea that we have moved numerous times and to 4 different countries.   

12 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The 'special applause' from crowds watching standup where somebody has evidently thought that one particular joke is deserving of an applause from every single person in the arena.  First three seconds are always awkward as f**k as folk are torn between going along with it or just laughing at it like you're meant to do.

Has that always been a thing btw, or is a recent phenomenon?

I went to watch a comedy central stand up show being filmed in the states. One of two comedians was decent. The other was utter shit, the worst sort of pedestrian observational turd, mainly centred around him and his fiancé planning a wedding. But the crowd went absolutely nuts for every single shite line from him. Stuff like "she asked whether we should have gold or silver writing on the invitations, and i'm like, i don't care" had the guy behind us doubled up, going "oh shit, oh shit" and wiping his eyes. It was really unsettling. 

PTTGOMN:

Constructing a robust and well expressed argument online against someone who's clearly dribbling on the keyboard, then you get several responses deep and realise they are probably right, but not for any of the reasons they have actually put down. 

Oooft. All you can do is just stop replying and hope that makes you appear "above it" to onlookers 😂 

Trying to get a doctor's appointment.

At my local practice, the only way to do so is to phone at 8.30am and be told the doctor will phone you back "at some point" that morning. If you miss the call for any reason, tough, try again the next day. It's so horrendously impractical for many quite obvious reasons. 

18 hours ago, GiGi said:

Quite. It's remarkably on form of them to take 3 weeks to respond to a complaint about a complaint from over 10 weeks earlier only to try and have it withdrawn on a technicality like some bum episode of suits. It's pretty insulting but hopefully the logs I've provided will see the OS get the cattle prod out now.

Scottish Power query predictably turfed out so the complaint against them will now be looked at. Chancing b*****ds.

Back in the days where newspapers weren't allowed to have the TV listing so you would need to get The Radio Times and the TV Times at Christmas 
It was the only time they were bought in our house, but eventually stopped as the listings were full of "to be confirmed" slots.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

At my local practice, the only way to do so is to phone at 8.30am and be told the doctor will phone you back "at some point" that morning. If you miss the call for any reason, tough, try again the next day. It's so horrendously impractical for many quite obvious reasons. 

<BOF mode> I remember when if you wanted to see the doctor you went along and sat in the waiting room until your turn came. None of this having to forecast when you were going to be ill. </BOF mode>

I think you're in the wrong thread, sir. This is not petty at all. 

I'm quite frankly amazed that we don't hear more stories of GP surgeries being burnt to the ground because the rage induced from trying to book an appointment has caused the thought to cross my mind on many occasions. At my GP, when you phone at 8:30am it's pot luck if you get through, there's no queuing system, just phone and if it's engaged - tough titty. You finally get through and it's "sorry nothing available today, try again tomorrow".  Absolutely infuriating.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Screenshot_2021-03-02-12-12-12-19.jpg.b691a0c8de62b1cdfc80a9ba73ccfbc8.jpg

"Join our organisation NOW and pay absolutely nothing because you aren't allowed in but once we open, start paying!" 

This mob have been taken over by another group. Can't remember their name but they're putting their prices up. Was a member in Cumbernauld but cancelled last year - absolutely no social distancing. Groups of 4-6 kids hanging around every piece of equipment - was like a feckin social club as it was the only place they could mix indoors.

And  around five minutes of prerecorded options/instructions before you even get to talk to the receptionist.