Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

England and the rest of the crumbling union can keep the union jack after independence for all I care.

Folk who care about flags are utter weirdos. I find patriotism in general weird as f**k as well. The country in which you live shouldn't be a source of pride or shame as, to me anyway, pride and shame should only be attributed to your own actions.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

England and the rest of the crumbling union can keep the union jack after independence for all I care.

Folk who care about flags are utter weirdos. I find patriotism in general weird as f**k as well. The country in which you live shouldn't be a source of pride or shame as, to me anyway, pride and shame should only be attributed to your own actions.

It's really weird when people attribute virtues to people in their country that, with even the slightest of thought, can easily be attributed to people from anywhere else too. We see it primarily from the BRITISH! people here, but you find them everywhere, and they're all universally self-congratulatory about the same things.

Even more bizarre when they're delighted with the country they come from, while simultaneously excoriating about the people who live there; usually it's an idealised prior generation (who are no longer even alive) that they're fiercely proud of. Like Hitler with his fantasy Aryans that he liked to bang on about.

PTTGOYN: how filthy and full of litter the streets of Glasgow are.
The council are largely to blame for this, sure. However there seems to be a terrible attitude in this city towards dropping litter - there’s rubbish everywhere. If a bin is full in a park, for example, people will just leave all their used coffee cups etc. on top of it or round about it, rather than just walking on until they see an empty bin or even taking the cup home with them as a last resort. It really is a problem here that is much worse than other UK cities IMO. The council need to sort themselves out, but people’s attitudes are also shocking.
How can you put most of the blame on the council when it's the manky c***s who drop teh litter in the first place who are the problem? Anyone making litter needs a kick to the pie/stones swift.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How can you put most of the blame on the council when it's the manky c***s who drop teh litter in the first place who are the problem? Anyone making litter needs a kick to the pie/stones swift.

It's the council's fault for not employing enough pie/stone booters.

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:
The council are largely to blame for this, sure. However there seems to be a terrible attitude in this city towards dropping litter - there’s rubbish everywhere. If a bin is full in a park, for example, people will just leave all their used coffee cups etc. on top of it or round about it, rather than just walking on until they see an empty bin or even taking the cup home with them as a last resort. It really is a problem here that is much worse than other UK cities IMO. The council need to sort themselves out, but people’s attitudes are also shocking.

True but the council are terrible at emptying bins. Our recycling bins can be full for a couple of weeks it seems before they’re emptied. The same goes for the glass bins in the local area.

1 minute ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

True but the council are terrible at emptying bins. Our recycling bins can be full for a couple of weeks it seems before they’re emptied. The same goes for the glass bins in the local area.

There also aren't enough bins. There's a secondary school just along the road from me, and usually the kids would be out every lunchtime heading to the local shops et. They were pretty good at putting their rubbish in bins with the occasional exception, until the council decided to consolidate the 5 fairly large bins on the street, situated between the school gate and the nearest shop, into one bin which was about one and a half times the size of one of the ones they removed, and was positioned about 10 yards from the shop.

This obviously resulted in that bin being rammed to the gills, and stuff being left beside/on top of it, which would then blow up and down the street.

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I drove from Curran to Tobermore this morning, a distance of approx 4 miles, there were volunteers out gathering up the rubbish, there must have been at least 30 green bags - if not more - filled with rubbish waiting to be collected. This is a wee country road that wouldn't be particularly busy. 

I did enjoy Glasgow's attempt at introducing the food waste bins, especially in tenement locations

The entire point of food waste separation is to limit the amount of food waste you actually produce, so by definition you want people filling their bins as little as possible. They soon discover that a single wheelie bin for food waste per close is a waste of time, so they get taken away and replaced with one big one on the street outside. As far as I know there's one of these bins on my road, which has about ten tenement blocks at the bottom, then more flats beyond those. That's not including other streets coming off of it. I don't know if this one bin is supposed to service all of these other properties, but it's quite a lot to expect of people to separate their rubbish then go out with it to a single mass-use location

Of course, it's a bin on the street, so what do you think people do with it?

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

It's really weird when people attribute virtues to people in their country that, with even the slightest of thought, can easily be attributed to people from anywhere else too. We see it primarily from the BRITISH! people here, but you find them everywhere, and they're all universally self-congratulatory about the same things.

Even more bizarre when they're delighted with the country they come from, while simultaneously excoriating about the people who live there; usually it's an idealised prior generation (who are no longer even alive) that they're fiercely proud of. Like Hitler with his fantasy Aryans that he liked to bang on about.

See also football fans who suggest the team they support “always does it the hard way”.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

Woah steady f**k all wrong with vexillology.

See the source image

As we're bitching about council waste disposal, someone here decided that the flats above the shops in the town centre should just put their rubbish out by the kerb in black bags. Between the local neds and hordes of gulls, there's at least one morning a week where you have to wade through ripped-open bin bags and strewn trash filling the streets.

Probably one for the Unpopular Opinions thread, but I'm inclined to believe that we could have better waste management facilities if we were prepared to vote for politicians who would properly fund our councils. Madness, I know.