Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

My response now is the same as it was then, if they want to listen to me they're welcome to. I don't know any national secrets, I don't recite nuclear launchcodes and I am not a remotely interesting person. 

That's exactly what a spy would say though.. 

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Tin foil hat on, but I don't trust these voice activated devices in the home, like Alexa, Siri or Ok Google. I just don't believe that they are not listening all the time, whether it be for something innocent like Ad preferences or something darker like the Government.

Probably makes me sound insane but it's a 'no' from me.

There was a documentary a while back, "What Amazon know about us" or such like it was called. 

As well as going on about what Amazon gleans from your online shopping browsing and buying, there was an ex-exec on who explained how, yes, the Amazon devices are 'listening ' (but not recording) all the time. But, on hearing certain keywords or phrases, they do actually record, or instead send a message back to the Amazon network to update the customer algorithms. 

That fundamental life saving services such as Mountain Rescue and RNLI are entirely reliant on donations. These should be funded by the government in the same way as the Fire and Rescue service. I'm also looking at you, R in RNLI.

Fathers who can only express how much they love their children in terms of what acts of violence they’d be capable of if someone touched a hair on their wee heads

Maybe you should go and read them a bedtime story instead of boring strangers like me in the pub
That's been bothering you for a while now hasn't it. Can't remember the last conversation I had in a pub.

13 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That fundamental life saving services such as Mountain Rescue and RNLI are entirely reliant on donations. These should be funded by the government in the same way as the Fire and Rescue service. I'm also looking at you, R in RNLI.

I subscribe to the @Sergeant Wilson school of thought - if you're dumb enough to get stuck up a mountain, you should be left there.

6 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Sure it can be utilised without it getting out.

Mind the papers had a phone tapping scandal and we already know the Government tap into calls listening for words relating to terrorism.

Imagine you're having curry for tea and you say

"The rice is in the pot. Korma or Dhansak?"

Alexa hears "Isis plot. Bomb and ransack" and calls the police...

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Dunno about RNLI but MRTs do get govt funding 

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Fathers who can only express how much they love their children in terms of what acts of violence they’d be capable of if someone touched a hair on their wee heads

Maybe you should go and read them a bedtime story instead of boring strangers like me in the pub

Sometimes you get the disturbing impression that they really mean, "I've always wanted to torture someone to death, so here are the circumstances I'm hoping will happen in order for me to feel justified about doing it".

Okay, perhaps not entirely reliant but why have a fully funded fire and rescue service but not mountain rescue? I don't see the difference. You can have a nice career in Fire and Rescue but if there's an accident on a mountain you're relying on volunteers.

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Okay, perhaps not entirely reliant but why have a fully funded fire and rescue service but not mountain rescue? I don't see the difference. You can have a nice career in Fire and Rescue but if there's an accident on a mountain you're relying on volunteers.

The RNLI have made clear that they do not want government funding, and have actually refused it, as they don't want the bureaucracy and political interference that goes with it detracting from what they do.