Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I've been getting on my nerves in a petty manner for some time now, down to my inability to make the correct choice in 50-50 situations. Road junctions for example, when I'm slightly lost, I'm almost guaranteed to go left when I should go right, or vice versa. 

On a similar vein, I open the boot (steady Kenneth) instead of opening the car on a regular basis. 

My phone had an update last night and it's changed everything. Layout, colour schemes and (somewhat cringe worthy) all my emojis now look completely different. 

Sometimes change is good. Not this time. f**k you Oppo. 

On 06/04/2021 at 12:36, Bairnardo said:

Aye maybe not the government, but these devices are listening to you all time. And tbh, Amazon are every bit as malevolent an entity as any government

was there not someone on here (might have been a different site i went to tbf) that deliberately looked for bizarre, utterly nonsensical stuff in the hopes it would flag up on google searches and some poor analyst would have to try to make sense out of the madness?

iirc it was stuff like googling "how do i take out my own eyeballs to clean them properly"

edit: which tbf might refer to a glass eye, ha! Gist was it was using google the way Charlie Kelly would use it, so maybe "where can i buy ghoul repelling spray" would be more like it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

6 hours ago, Pato said:

I know it's not their fault and they have to say it, but call centre staff saying 'bear with me' does my head in.

Apparently it became a very unfashionable and un-pc expression as it was offensive to women.  Ie in the sense of bearing children, a man saying bear with me is therefore offensive.

Load of shite if you ask me.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

My phone had an update last night and it's changed everything. Layout, colour schemes and (somewhat cringe worthy) all my emojis now look completely different. 

Sometimes change is good. Not this time. f**k you Oppo. 

What's the Oppo like? I am due for an upgrade and pretty happy with my Galaxy S8. Wondering what to choose next, or just stay with my S8.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I've been getting on my nerves in a petty manner for some time now, down to my inability to make the correct choice in 50-50 situations. Road junctions for example, when I'm slightly lost, I'm almost guaranteed to go left when I should go right, or vice versa. 

On a similar vein, I open the boot (steady Kenneth) instead of opening the car on a regular basis. 

Surely this only appears to be the case because you are more likely to remember making the wrong choice versus guessing correctly?

I know it's not their fault and they have to say it, but call centre staff saying 'bear with me' does my head in.
Worked in a shitey call centre many years ago and that was one phrase we were told to never use.

I'm mucking about trying to learn how to code.

Can spend hours at night making progress, but not nailing it. Go to bed, and instantly figure out what I'm doing wrong the moment my head hits the pillow.

Then go to work etc., come home, and completely mind blank what I'd figured out 😂

Do you ever find that when you tell someone that something is broken or faulty and you have it logged with the vendor/supplier etc, they always think they can fix it, and proceed to do all the stuff you have already checked?

As in, someone in the same team as you, someone you have the same knowledge as, and in a lot of cases, someone you have more experience than.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes that's the first, most fucking obvious thing I tried'.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes, sorry I know how to fault find this particular thing'.

I know they're just trying to be helpful in most cases, but it does my dick in.  I'm one of these people who hates being defeated by something, then you get some fud asking if you've rebooted or made sure the cables are secure in the back.  Fuck off.

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Do you ever find that when you tell someone that something is broken or faulty and you have it logged with the vendor/supplier etc, they always think they can fix it, and proceed to do all the stuff you have already checked?

As in, someone in the same team as you, someone you have the same knowledge as, and in a lot of cases, someone you have more experience than.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes that's the first, most fucking obvious thing I tried'.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes, sorry I know how to fault find this particular thing'.

I know they're just trying to be helpful in most cases, but it does my dick in.  I'm one of these people who hates being defeated by something, then you get some fud asking if you've rebooted or made sure the cables are secure in the back.  f**k off.

Have you tried explaining that you've tried all the obvious solutions?

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Have you tried explaining that you've tried all the obvious solutions?

Yes, when I said i know how to fault find it.

20 hours ago, BFTD said:

Was watching an episode of Parks & Rec last night while opening packets of stickers. At the very second Leslie Knope said the word 'Denmark', I found the Denmark shiny.

Shut up, my life is awesome.

Many years ago we were watching an old film on TV. My dad farted, and on screen Roy Kinnear said, "You dirty beast!"

It was far funnier than the film.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Stranger subset of this - after you've given up on the malfunctioning item and no longer have it, people who continue to question you on your diagnostic skills and smugly assume anything you haven't done would have solved the issue, no matter how stupid the suggestion.

"Did you try feeding a fried egg into the DVD slot?"
"What? No, of course not"
"Ah, that'll be it. The laser lens needs a regular coating of albumen. You'd know that if you had more experience"

giphy-downsized-large.gif

On 18/09/2015 at 16:59, Abby Normal said:

I had to google "lanyard". You're absolutely right about this group.

Not sure I agree on the ladies in gym gear but I suppose it depends on who is wearing it.

Now, just five or six years later, I have my own lanyard! Not sure about the grey cord it’s on. May try and get a chunky gold chain to put it on. 

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Now, just five or six years later, I have my own lanyard! Not sure about the grey cord it’s on. May try and get a chunky gold chain to put it on. 

Mr T.jpg