Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Charity doorsteppers launching into a big scripted spiel.

Also when they try to give it "its only a tiny amount of your household budget" and "loads of your neighbours have been so generous today"

I don't let them get almost nearly as far as this, "are you busy?" "Yes" the end.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:

I don't let them get almost nearly as far as this, "are you busy?" "Yes" the end.

I normally ask what percentage of their income they are contributing to the charity (door-steppers only), if it’s in the street, I ask if they’ve signed up with the guys from a different charity who are invariably about 100 yards down the road. Normally shuts them up.  

12 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Yeah I'm normally not too bad at politely cutting it off. Lad today successfully reached that awkward bit where the spiel has been allowed to go on too long

21 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah I'm normally not too bad at politely cutting it off. Lad today successfully reached that awkward bit where the spiel has been allowed to go on too long

I'm always perfectly polite and ask them if they want to say their piece before or after I close the door.  

On 01/08/2022 at 03:41, Raidernation said:

The absolute, unending, relentless obsession with fennel on every fucking cooking show.

Fennel is disgusting and I simply cannot eat anything that has it as an ingredient, surely it's the "emperor's new clothes" of ingredients?

I'm not a fan when raw, but I like to use it along with the carrots, onions, celery when making a base for sauces or stews. Also, a pal of mine once did a thing where it was slowly braised in stock and red wine that I still think fondly of some 12 years later.

52 minutes ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Google changing the name of the "Google Pay" app to "Wallet" and removing it from the Google folder on my phone, leaving me standing like an arse at the self checkout frantically trying to find it to pay for my messages.

I had, ironically I suppose, left my actual wallet in the car.

Thank you!

Thank you

The ads on The Pie And Bovril Forum making the mobile site page jump, accidentally causing me to briefly change my Ignore List settings for a poster I've had on my Ignore List for 3+ years. I was able to resolve it within 30 seconds but it was a Petty Thing and it Got On My Nerves.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Charity doorsteppers launching into a big scripted spiel.

Also when they try to give it "its only a tiny amount of your household budget" and "loads of your neighbours have been so generous today"

It's a shitty job to have I guess, but sometimes they really must be on autopilot. There was one time I was in the shower and the door went - my missus had just left a few minutes before so I assumed she'd forgotten her keys and wanted back in. I answered with a towel round my waist and dripping wet hair, to be confronted by some daft bint whose opening gambit was:

"Hi - I'm from such and such a charity. I won't take up more than five or ten minutes of your time...."

"Five or ten seconds you mean. Beat it."

13 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

Do you actually need to go into it on your phone? I just need my phone to be unlocked for contactless to work 

I've got more than one card stored on it so I need to pick which one I want to use. 

But I think you're right that as long as your NFC is turned on it should work when unlocked. 

Edited by KnightswoodVanBear

I did the whole door to door charity thing in my early 20s when I was young and desperate for cash. First day they sent us to a high rise in Ibrox (I think), nearly every door was opened by someone with limited English or at least pretending to have limited English and clearly the area was not going to be frequented by folk with money spare to give to a donkey sanctuary or whatever crap we were attempting to get money for. Also it was all commission based so no sales, no wage.

Anyway, after about two hours I decided this clearly wasn't for me. Made my excuses and said I was gonna nip out on the landing for a quick cigarette while the female I was with harassed another poor soul. Once out on the landing I just kept walking, jumped in the lift then walked to the train station and never looked back. Fair play to anyone that can do that but two hours of it was soul destroying 

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

The ads on The Pie And Bovril Forum making the mobile site page jump, accidentally causing me to briefly change my Ignore List settings for a poster I've had on my Ignore List for 3+ years. I was able to resolve it within 30 seconds but it was a Petty Thing and it Got On My Nerves.

Somebody just got red dotted for the first time in 3 years and went wtf?

20 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I did the whole door to door charity thing in my early 20s when I was young and desperate for cash. First day they sent us to a high rise in Ibrox (I think), nearly every door was opened by someone with limited English or at least pretending to have limited English and clearly the area was not going to be frequented by folk with money spare to give to a donkey sanctuary or whatever crap we were attempting to get money for. Also it was all commission based so no sales, no wage.

Anyway, after about two hours I decided this clearly wasn't for me. Made my excuses and said I was gonna nip out on the landing for a quick cigarette while the female I was with harassed another poor soul. Once out on the landing I just kept walking, jumped in the lift then walked to the train station and never looked back. Fair play to anyone that can do that but two hours of it was soul destroying 

I did that when I was a teenager working in a shop in Guildford. I'd had the job 2 days when, in the middle of stacking some shelves I thought "What the actual f**k am I doing" and just walked out. Never went back. 

43 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

What happened to the donkeys?