Jump to content

Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...


Recommended Posts

Been said before but restaurants who, upon you asking for the bill, bring it and then f**k off and don't return to allow you to pay.

I've asked for the bill because I'd like to pay. Just bring the bill and the card machine, let me pay and go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Been said before but restaurants who, upon you asking for the bill, bring it and then f**k off and don't return to allow you to pay.

I've asked for the bill because I'd like to pay. Just bring the bill and the card machine, let me pay and go.

While I disliked them at first, mainly because the early models didn’t dispense receipts and they keep flashing shite to encourage you to pay $4.99 to play some games, the little pay at the table touch screens are now brilliant. Tap pay, it offers to spilt the bill or pay it all, it shows all the items for you to check, let’s you chose a tip (and show percentages, based on pre-tax amounts mainly [U.S. issue]) and gives you an option for a receipt printed right there when you’re done. Then it lights up a nice big green bar on top so the waitstaff can see that you’ve paid that way…excellent innovation, the credit card never leaves my hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, TxRover said:

While I disliked them at first, mainly because the early models didn’t dispense receipts and they keep flashing shite to encourage you to pay $4.99 to play some games, the little pay at the table touch screens are now brilliant. Tap pay, it offers to spilt the bill or pay it all, it shows all the items for you to check, let’s you chose a tip (and show percentages, based on pre-tax amounts mainly [U.S. issue]) and gives you an option for a receipt printed right there when you’re done. Then it lights up a nice big green bar on top so the waitstaff can see that you’ve paid that way…excellent innovation, the credit card never leaves my hand.

Reminds me of my first visit to the USA (New York circa 2012). Aside from the ludicrous tipping expectancy, the waiters would run off with your credit card and then just present it back to you. 

It's a good job my wife checks the bills, so I don't think we got ripped off, but when I think back we really should have just paid cash money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing that really pisses me off is this new fad in restaurants/ cafes etc for the waiting staff not to write down your order and have to just memorise it. 
 

Inevitability the my get the order wrong most of the time. 
 

I am not impressed by your memory skills. I am impressed if you bring me the food I ordered correctly in a timely manner. Just write it down so there is no mistakes. ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

One thing that really pisses me off is this new fad in restaurants/ cafes etc for the waiting staff not to write down your order and have to just memorise it. 
 

Inevitability the my get the order wrong most of the time. 
 

I am not impressed by your memory skills. I am impressed if you bring me the food I ordered correctly in a timely manner. Just write it down so there is no mistakes. ! 

iPads for orders, linked to the kitchen…excellent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

QR codes for the menus to pop up on your phone rather than paper menus. 

Often you can’t get a phone signal so no data so have to log onto the WiFi first. 

Literally using technology to make something more time consuming and complicated with no perceived benifit to the customer. 

Even if it work’s slickly, in what way is being able to read the menu on your phone better than on a paper menu? 

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, TxRover said:

iPads for orders, linked to the kitchen…excellent.

Went to a restaurant in Cornwall where they had fully integrated tablets, printer in the kitchen and apps to order and pay on. Of course it didn't work and the waiters stood around looking at us for about half an hour before i (and others) persuaded them to write down our orders and tell the kitchen what to make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

QR codes for the menus to pop up on your phone rather than paper menus. 

Agree and despise.

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Went to a restaurant in Cornwall where they had fully integrated tablets, printer in the kitchen and apps to order and pay on. Of course it didn't work and the waiters stood around looking at us for about half an hour before i (and others) persuaded them to write down our orders and tell the kitchen what to make.

Interestingly, I’ve never had a problem in a restaurant with the iPads, always get quick service. Perhaps related to the U.S.’s stupid tipping culture. It was 10-15% when I was first paying in the 80’s, now it’s at least 15%, and most want 20-25%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

QR codes for the menus to pop up on your phone rather than paper menus. 

Often you can’t get a phone signal so no data so have to log onto the WiFi first. 

Literally using technology to make something more time consuming and complicated with no perceived be if it to the customer. 

Even if it work’s slickly, in what way is being able to read the menu on your phone better than on a paper menu? 

I've never had a phone that can do QR codes without some shitty app that rarely works, I wish they'd just type the URL..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, GordonD said:

People who get on a bus and try to pay with a phone app, which then doesn't work and they spend ages fannying about with it while everybody else seethes.

 

18 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Taxis not having being able to take card payments.

 

11 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Been said before but restaurants who, upon you asking for the bill, bring it and then f**k off and don't return to allow you to pay.

I've asked for the bill because I'd like to pay. Just bring the bill and the card machine, let me pay and go.

If only we were still able to use cash...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

A - I don't want a pocket full of change

B - They'd still need to come back to collect the cash / bring change

A - Aye, those coins can be heavy right enough.

B - Maybe things have changed but in my day we would leave the cash on the plate weighed down with the salt or pepper holder.  Change would be the tip. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

A - Aye, those coins can be heavy right enough.

Who mentioned weight?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

B - Maybe things have changed but in my day we would leave the cash on the plate weighed down with the salt or pepper holder.  Change would be the tip. 

Aye, nb, I'll just round the bill up to the nearest tenner or twenty to save them the bother of having to do their job...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Who mentioned weight?

Aye, nb, I'll just round the bill up to the nearest tenner or twenty to save them the bother of having to do their job...

No fivers? 

Anyhow, it's not about them doing their job, it's about you not having the patience to let them.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...