Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dislike the political views most of these auld duffers have, but i like the no cameras rule, i go to a lot of concerts and stuff and really dislike the phones out all the time, in America going to concerts and sporting events is a very trying experience, they simply cannot behave like normal people, so maybe they feel the need to go to this extreme. Im all for the no running and no cameras. 

Was going to say my wife and I were talking about doing a couple of trips over the years we both turn 40, she wants to go back to Alaska and I mentioned Augusta etc she really fancies going, if i could tie it in with a game at Tobacco road and maybe pinehurst i totally would but id try and stay maybe an hour or two outside of Augusta because ive heard its pretty shitty. How did you like Savannah? 

Aye the no phones thing is fine but you can have a camera that isn’t a phone. That’s what I meab

3 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Brilliant wee city highly recommend it .Harbour Town  isn't that far away from there ( next event after the masters,) if you fancy a round there and also Sawgrass

I love the look of harbourtown, but shes daft on One Tree Hill etc and has this whole Carolina's roadtrip idea in her head, perfectly ties in with those two courses (TR is my absolute must play thats remotely affordable and id stretch to a splurge for pinehurst 2&4).  If i could get a tournament or even practice day at the masters to end that off id die a happy man. 

No way can the Augusta Committee be deemed a bunch of reactionary weirdoes. I've been watching the Masters for as long as I can remember, and off the top of my head, here's a rundown of things they've managed to sort out during this time:

• The "No caddies other than our own" rule. And, of course, all their own caddies were black, so that's hugely progressive! And they retained the painters overalls by way of tribute...
  • Not showing any coverage at all of the front nine.
  • Only showing brief highlights of the front nine.
  • Erm...

A comprehensive list, I'm sure you'll agree.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dislike the political views most of these auld duffers have, but i like the no cameras rule, i go to a lot of concerts and stuff and really dislike the phones out all the time, in America going to concerts and sporting events is a very trying experience, they simply cannot behave like normal people, so maybe they feel the need to go to this extreme. Im all for the no running and no cameras. 

Was going to say my wife and I were talking about doing a couple of trips over the years we both turn 40, she wants to go back to Alaska and I mentioned Augusta etc she really fancies going, if i could tie it in with a game at Tobacco road and maybe pinehurst i totally would but id try and stay maybe an hour or two outside of Augusta because ive heard its pretty shitty. How did you like Savannah? 

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Only on the tuesday or something?

I'm lucky enough to have done the Masters trip with my dad and brother.  We were there on the Thursday from dawn till dusk; it was the best spectator experience I have ever had at any sporting event, by a long way.  I think all the silly rules work well when you are actually there, especially no cameras (except on practice days - I think they had to be real cameras?), and it's not hugely crowded either because the numbers are very controlled. When you compare the atmosphere at Augusta to, say, the Open last year at Liverpool or most US Opens where half the crowd is annoyingly p1shed and you have folk shouting "mashed potato" or whatever, there is a lot to be said for the quieter experience.  Even the catering is brilliant and certainly highlights what utter rip-off merchants the R&A are.  Still have my pile of Masters plastic cups and green folding chair kicking around somewhere.

We flew into Charlotte NC, stayed at Pinehurst for a couple of nights and played #2 (badly) and Pine Needles, then moved base to Columbia SC which was quite a nice town (about 1h 15 drive to the Masters).  Not only is Augusta the town a dump (mainly a featureless, dusty long main strip with crappy restaurants and petrol stations) but ofc you won't find accomodation there in Masters week except at very silly prices.  You may know this already but you can usually get tix on the streets just over a mile (or whatever the exclusion zone limit is) from the gates of the course.

Tobacco Road does look fantastic - maybe next time...

Edited by VictorOnopko

On 09/04/2024 at 08:59, Claudia Gentile said:

Thanks for sharing. Largely on the basis of this - and that Skybet are paying e/w on 12 places - I’ve now backed Cam Smith, Sam Burns and Keegan Bradley. Also had a long antepost on Jordan Speith. But I don’t know shit…

Matsuyama 

koepka

spieth

smith

reed

morikawa

my picks in order of stakes. Not overly confident in them but we will see. Lured in by smith and morikawa's odds and fact they've won me cash before 

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

I'm lucky enough to have done the Masters trip with my dad and brother.  We were there on the Thursday from dawn till dusk; it was the best spectator experience I have ever had at any sporting event, by a long way.  I think all the silly rules work well when you are actually there, especially no cameras (except on practice days - I think they had to be real cameras?), and it's not hugely crowded either because the numbers are very controlled. When you compare the atmosphere at Augusta to, say, the Open last year at Liverpool or most US Opens where half the crowd is annoyingly p1shed and you have folk shouting "mashed potato" or whatever, there is a lot to be said for the quieter experience.  Even the catering is brilliant and certainly highlights what utter rip-off merchants the R&A are.  Still have my pile of Masters plastic cups and green folding chair kicking around somewhere.

We flew into Charlotte NC, stayed at Pinehurst for a couple of nights and played #2 (badly) and Pine Needles, then moved base to Columbia SC which was quite a nice town (about 1h 15 drive to the Masters).  Not only is Augusta the town a dump (mainly a featureless, dusty long main strip with crappy restaurants and petrol stations) but ofc you won't find accomodation there in Masters week except at very silly prices.  You may know this already but you can usually get tix on the streets just over a mile (or whatever the exclusion zone limit is) from the gates of the course.

Tobacco Road does look fantastic - maybe next time...

What did you think of playing number 2? Did you get a caddy for it? I think its probably one of the only places in the world id splurge. 

Every single thing ive ever read about getting to the masters and the spectator experience is overwhelmingly positive. I think if food and drinks were priced fairly for customers people would spend more. If i get to go im certainly gonna try a wee bit of most things and ill be honest i plan to spend a fucking fortune on merch. We’re going to the open practice on monday of the open week just to let my wee boy see what its all about etc, i remember my last experience it cost a fortune. What do you pay off the guys on the strip for tickets? Id be really worried id get bumped. 

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Selfish b*****d went and got paid to write the stuff he used to post on here for free.

Disgusting behaviour

Link to his stuff please if you have it 

2 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

What did you think of playing number 2? Did you get a caddy for it? I think its probably one of the only places in the world id splurge. 

Every single thing ive ever read about getting to the masters and the spectator experience is overwhelmingly positive. I think if food and drinks were priced fairly for customers people would spend more. If i get to go im certainly gonna try a wee bit of most things and ill be honest i plan to spend a fucking fortune on merch. We’re going to the open practice on monday of the open week just to let my wee boy see what its all about etc, i remember my last experience it cost a fortune. What do you pay off the guys on the strip for tickets? Id be really worried id get bumped. 

We didn't get caddies on #2, no. The American guy who made up our 4 had one so we got some chat but I didn't think we needed one really. It's quite a flat course and the main thing you might need is green reads. I was off 10 at the time and short game is a strength but it's fair to say that I didn't play to anything near my handicap. It's just really, really hard (the landing areas on the greens are tiny and if you miss them you're off down a bank with a difficult chip), but all in a wonderful setting, the clubhouse is amazing too. Pine Needles was probably more enjoyable overall, just because it's wider and has more elevation changes (it has plenty of pedigree too and is also a Donald Ross). 

We already had Masters tickets but if you search on Golfwrx there's usually forum threads there on prices and how it all works on the secondary market. You will love it if you go, no question about ir. We walked the course before settling down at the 16th and I remember crossing the 15th fairway and looking down across the pond to the green with water behind it too, imagining that shot even with a short iron -  a downhill lie to a tiny target. We just laughed as it looked so intimidating in the flesh! 

Edited by VictorOnopko