Golfers Thread

Gaz

16 hours ago, Ignoramus said:

Looking at the schedule, I’d be looking to take most of April off if not all of it if I were Bob and his team. He shouldn’t play next week and then he won’t get into the Masters and Hilton Head as a signature event. He could possibly play with Laird at the Zurich as a nice palate cleanser, but otherwise clear the head, sort the problems out and get ready for the Byron Nelson in May.

He did say he’d be playing a full US schedule to the Scottish, no reason to change that and panic too much but if the form continues, he’ll have to have some big discussions moving forward after the Open about what tour he finishes the season on.

Think he has now confirmed he is not playing next week, so presumably he'll head home for a while.  The Masters was always going to be a big ask given his form.  I would be amazed if he's back playing the DPW tour before the end of the season though - much more money to be made and experience gained in the US while he still has a card and is making some cuts.  He'd really be chucking it if he didn't go back after the Open (I also have a funny feeling he might do well at Troon - but that is probably just wishful thinking as he is my favourite player and it's my favourite course in Scotland; cannae wait to spectate there in July).

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Scheffler bottled a 5 footer to force a playoff and Steven Jaegar wins his first PGA tour event. 

Detry will be kicking himself, makeable putts missed on 16 and 17 would have won him it.

Another tee time cancelled tonight due to wet weather. I think I’ve managed 1 game so far since the turn of the year and had 5 or 6 tee times cancelled with course closure. 

The weather is frustrating enough for me but it must be a nightmare for the young kids trying to pursue a scholarship in America or a pro career. 

24 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

Another tee time cancelled tonight due to wet weather. I think I’ve managed 1 game so far since the turn of the year and had 5 or 6 tee times cancelled with course closure. 

The weather is frustrating enough for me but it must be a nightmare for the young kids trying to pursue a scholarship in America or a pro career. 

My club are still off matts which frustrates the life out of me. Getting reviewed on Friday and I know looking at the weather forecast that it will be extended. 

39 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

My club are still off matts which frustrates the life out of me. Getting reviewed on Friday and I know looking at the weather forecast that it will be extended. 

Mats went off at Bishopbriggs on Saturday past, temporary tees still in use up until Saturday when the main tees will be on for the Captain's start. Every time the greens staff think they are starting to catch a break with the weather it starts pishing again.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Aye I’m not a fan of matts either and we’ll only get 5 full months of play without them this year. 

4 minutes ago, St. Jude said:

Aye I’m not a fan of matts either and we’ll only get 5 full months of play without them this year. 

I take a good 4-5 rounds to get my swing back when coming off matts. I regularly in the winter just kick the ball into the first cut and play from there 

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I avoid the problem of matts by pushing every tee shot right and missing the fairway. 

That only works if you hit it too far/don't hit it far enough to find the adjacent fairway.

Or even the next one over

On 28/03/2024 at 23:59, The Golden God said:

Headed up to the Women’s Open at St Andrew’s for a few days this summer? Anyone ever been to a women’s major and know what it’s like crowd wise? I’ve been to the men’s at Muirfield and Troon which were obviously great but chaos, hoping this will be a bit quieter and we can get a good view of it all. 

I went to the Women's Open last time (?) it was at the Old Course. It was certainly pretty quiet then and easy spectating. Would imagine it's likely to be a lot busier this summer - women's game has kicked on quite a bit and is better known, more competitive. Should still be pretty relaxed though - thinking of heading there myself.

Despite the current/recent conditions and weather forecast, Fife Golf Association insists that the final of the North East Fife Winter League (Handicap) Cup between Drumoig and Ladybank will be played at, erm... Charleton, the only non-links or -heathland course in the League. Charleton will not only be a quagmire given the last couple of months, it currently doesn't even have a fully-functioning clubhouse due to a fire in *checks notes* June 2020.

Apparently, it's "their turn on the rota" and, despite both finalists requesting other venues, or even that the final be played at a non-neutral venue determined by the toss of a coin, it's off to Charleton we trot. I'm expecting the post-match meal to be a Pot Noodle. Should be fun... 🙄 

Good to come on and see i am not alone in being totally skunnered with this weather and lack of golf. Lets hope the summer is an absolute scorcher ! My last counter was at the end of September.

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Despite the current/recent conditions and weather forecast, Fife Golf Association insists that the final of the North East Fife Winter League (Handicap) Cup between Drumoig and Ladybank will be played at, erm... Charleton, the only non-links or -heathland course in the League. Charleton will not only be a quagmire given the last couple of months, it currently doesn't even have a fully-functioning clubhouse due to a fire in *checks notes* June 2020.

Apparently, it's "their turn on the rota" and, despite both finalists requesting other venues, or even that the final be played at a non-neutral venue determined by the toss of a coin, it's off to Charleton we trot. I'm expecting the post-match meal to be a Pot Noodle. Should be fun... 🙄 

I like the layout at Charleton but it really doesn’t play well in the winter.
And, unless it’s changed recently, the course also plays full greens and tees throughout the winter. A lot of people use it when other parklands are closed or on winter greens. 

I hope the greenkeepers have invested in the Hampden foam rollers.