Golfers Thread

Gaz

22 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Our bar account has it's own section on the balance sheet so it's easy to see how good or bad it is doing.  The figures are certainly boosted by private functions, clubhouse was very busy today with a funeral party in. 

We've just had a survey that was specifically about the bar and kitchen, not heard the outcome yet. 

One of the biggest ongoing cost concerns at the moment is keeping the bunkers to a good standard. The price of good quality sand is apparently sky high at the moment, costing anywhere between 6 and 10k per bunker depending on the size. They are considering filling a few in to save a bit of cash every year.

I play at a council run course (with a club membership) and last year almost all of our bunkers were filled in and re-turfed. In fairness some of them were always GUR but the cost to sand and maintain was becoming too costly.

First round of the year earlier this week. Got round in a nett +1, which is fine given it was absolutely soaking and my first time on the course in four months.

Required 44 (that's FORTY FOUR) putts though, including two spectacular four putts. So a clear focus to work on for the new season...

3 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Hojgaard cards a 9 and loads of scores of 8 on the course in India ....the greens are like the Himalayas 🤣

Soderberg had 9 birdies and 2 8's

However, and perhaps this should be in the Reasons to Be Cheerful thread.......I am current World Number 1 on the DP World Tour  Fantasy Golf (for the Indian Open that is) There are certainly over 30,000 entrants so pretty chuffed about that. Golf season starts on Sunday for me so hopefully I have as good a week with the real thing and not just the fantasy golf.

It's been such a long winter...........

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

Soderberg had 9 birdies and 2 8's

However, and perhaps this should be in the Reasons to Be Cheerful thread.......I am current World Number 1 on the DP World Tour  Fantasy Golf (for the Indian Open that is) There are certainly over 30,000 entrants so pretty chuffed about that. Golf season starts on Sunday for me so hopefully I have as good a week with the real thing and not just the fantasy golf.

It's been such a long winter...........

I'm number 5k odd 🤣

Well done 

Headed up to the Women’s Open at St Andrew’s for a few days this summer? Anyone ever been to a women’s major and know what it’s like crowd wise? I’ve been to the men’s at Muirfield and Troon which were obviously great but chaos, hoping this will be a bit quieter and we can get a good view of it all. 

On 27/03/2024 at 07:58, doulikefish said:

Laird off at 136 and Bob at 710 our time in the Valero Texas open this week 

Laird in at -1 Bob was going along nicely at -1 I went to bed and checked this morning and he had a bit of disaster the last few holes ended up +4 .Needs a decent one today to make the cut 

27 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Laird in at -1 Bob was going along nicely at -1 I went to bed and checked this morning and he had a bit of disaster the last few holes ended up +4 .Needs a decent one today to make the cut 

Dropped 5 shots in the last 6 holes, missed the green on 13 and 15, put it in the water on 16 and 17, then 3 putted the last. 

40 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Yes cut line projection suggesting level or one over most likely mark for the cut. 

16 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Dropped 5 shots in the last 6 holes, missed the green on 13 and 15, put it in the water on 16 and 17, then 3 putted the last. 

Copying my scorecard for later on today 🤣

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Yes cut line projection suggesting level or one over most likely mark for the cut. 

Yip off early today before the Texas wind picks up so hopefully goes low 

Dont think Laird gets the credit he deserves, $22,000,000 career earnings, 4 pga tour wins, guy just grinds away and earns good money quietly going about his business. I think he’d have more wins on the DP world but obviously seems to have it dialled in on the pga tour. There must be worse ways to make a living?

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont think Laird gets the credit he deserves, $22,000,000 career earnings, 4 pga tour wins, guy just grinds away and earns good money quietly going about his business. I think he’d have more wins on the DP world but obviously seems to have it dialled in on the pga tour. There must be worse ways to make a living?

Agreed. He’s had a very decent career. 

4 hours ago, doulikefish said:

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see where a -4 round is coming from today from Bob.  There have been one or two tentative signs of progress in recent weeks (6th in Mexico and did OK at the Valspar) but it sounds like his iron/approach play is now misfiring badly; even at Valspar where he made the cut (just) he hit loads of wedges/short irons to distant 2-putt range or even missed the greens and short-sided himself a lot, so was forced to get up and down to many times. He also seems to get really annoyed really quickly and to be spending a lot of time seething, and playing the next hole after a mistake badly too. Psychologist badly needed before this season just slips away from him.

That said, I'm intrigued by Tosti, the small angry Argentinian who is also in his debut PGA season.  Apparently his behaviour is extremely erratic and he is -4 so far this week, so maybe angry golf works for some folk.

Looking at the schedule, I’d be looking to take most of April off if not all of it if I were Bob and his team. He shouldn’t play next week and then he won’t get into the Masters and Hilton Head as a signature event. He could possibly play with Laird at the Zurich as a nice palate cleanser, but otherwise clear the head, sort the problems out and get ready for the Byron Nelson in May.

He did say he’d be playing a full US schedule to the Scottish, no reason to change that and panic too much but if the form continues, he’ll have to have some big discussions moving forward after the Open about what tour he finishes the season on.

7 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I dont think Bobs all round game is ready for the pga tour. But hes made what $600,000?ish? Thats not bad but he must have hoped to be performing better? 

Putting for dough is the old saying...Bobs putting hasn't been good at all.I don't even think in any tourney he has played his putting stats are in the top 50 which is why he is missing so many cuts 

Take laird for example he has had a brilliant Pga career because he makes cuts and has the odd top 10 during the season 

Edited by doulikefish

Was watching the Hero Indian Open yesterday and Ewen Ferguson was going well, but I had to go out when he had half a dozen holes left. Watching this morning and wondering where he was, and looked at his finish yesterday, which was similar to Bob the other day. He had two bogeys and a double in his last 6 holes.

Looks a very tough course, some of the tee shots look terrifying.