Golfers Thread

Gaz

Bob safely in for the weekend on Even par, but only 6 shots off the lead with not many low scores today. 

Plenty big names missing the weekend including Speith, Harman, Finau and Burns.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Bob safely in for the weekend on Even par, but only 6 shots off the lead with not many low scores today. 

Plenty big names missing the weekend including Speith, Harman, Finau and Burns.

Probably the tightest field I've seen for a long time. 

On 21/03/2024 at 10:00, The Moonster said:

Renewal just gone through for me and tbh, this might be the last year I'm a member at Dumbarton. Prices gone up and I'm now about 800 for the year, which includes a 70 quid bar card that I never have and never will use. I understand the club is struggling to break even and they are investing in infrastrcuture that should see the course in good condition but it's a pretty basic course, when I know I can get an "out of town" membership at Balfron for about 300 I really don't think Dumbarton GC is worth the money they charge. 

Does your club have an off licence part of their bar licence? I think it's pretty standard that they do.

Some the members were i was use it to buy few bottles wine or beer to take home. Even cans juice etc.

16 hours ago, RH33 said:

Does your club have an off licence part of their bar licence? I think it's pretty standard that they do.

Some the members were i was use it to buy few bottles wine or beer to take home. Even cans juice etc.

My club has a £30 bar levy - thats nothing and of course it can be used for food and drink so you are getting something for your money (at discounted prices).  Yet, a number of members moan all year about it.  It's a golf club not just a golf course.....we need members to support their clubhouses or they will shut.  I voted for our to raise to £50 this season but out-voted.  I expect we may have a few in the bar next Saturday as it has to be used by the end of March - last year a group of ten came in for a few drinks and not one of them had used the clubhouse all year.

I never understand members never using the clubhouse.....far too many get in their cars immediately after finishing......even once in a while for a coffee or meal would help sustain the club.

Yeah, the clubhouse where I worked was propped up by the same folk..but if committee suggested cutting hours all hell breaks loose!

Why should you use a clubhouse? Our clubhouse is filled with cliquey arseholes and the food is average. I would maybe go for a beer with my dad after a medal but that's it. They make their money doing functions anyway, the money taken through the golfers lounge isn't propping up golf clubs. Forcing an extra fee onto a membership for something that is purely optional is a nonsense, IMO.

Edited by The Moonster

38 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Why should you use a clubhouse? Our clubhouse is filled with cliquey arseholes and the food is average. I would maybe go for a beer with my dad after a medal but that's it. They make their money doing functions anyway, the money taken through the golfers lounge isn't propping up golf clubs. Forcing an extra fee onto a membership for something that is purely optional is a nonsense, IMO.

Beginning to get the impression you're not happy at your current club...

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Beginning to get the impression you're not happy at your current club...

In fairness I am happy on the course, they're putting real effort into the condition of the course and I like how they have it set up now. I just don't agree with the bar card policy, especially as of last year they stopped letting you use it to pay guests on the course, which was the only real thing I used it for. I've never really viewed golf as a place to go for a drink and meet people, I go out with close friends or family and enjoy myself on the course. 

22 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

My club has a £30 bar levy - thats nothing and of course it can be used for food and drink so you are getting something for your money (at discounted prices).  Yet, a number of members moan all year about it.  It's a golf club not just a golf course.....we need members to support their clubhouses or they will shut.  I voted for our to raise to £50 this season but out-voted.  I expect we may have a few in the bar next Saturday as it has to be used by the end of March - last year a group of ten came in for a few drinks and not one of them had used the clubhouse all year.

I never understand members never using the clubhouse.....far too many get in their cars immediately after finishing......even once in a while for a coffee or meal would help sustain the club.

Covid certainly brought about a sea change in the habits of a lot of members at Bishopbriggs. Lots of folk got used to going straight home after a round and have never changed back again.

16 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Can Cameron Young finally win a golf tournament?

Most probably not. 

Now has 7 second place finishes, the most of anyone in the last 40 years without a win. 

Whatever the reason for members no longer using bar and catering in their club (financial pressures, post-COVID behaviours, cliques), club Committees (and members) need to accept that running bar, and particularly, catering operations very seldom result in surpluses that can be reinvested into the club or offset to reduce fees; they do well to break even, and the fact the the income and expenditure for these items are rolled pretty much across the board rolled into wider club accounts mean the vast amount of committees and members don't even know how much profit/loss these operations are actually running at (particularly where staff in smaller clubs are often doing a bit of admin as well as running a bar - these aspects are very, very seldom cross-costed in meaningful P&L reports).

Clubs need to find a way of delivering what their members actually want from their club - and when was the last time your Club ran any kind of meaningful (and regular) member survey to wring this information out? I'll bet if you have completed a detailed member survey over the last five years, it was a one-off exercise that hasn't been repeated. I'll also bet that the majority feedback was about on-course stuff (bunkers, pace of play, availability of morning tee-times on a weekend, etc) rather than the bar offer or the catering menu...

4 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Whatever the reason for members no longer using bar and catering in their club (financial pressures, post-COVID behaviours, cliques), club Committees (and members) need to accept that running bar, and particularly, catering operations very seldom result in surpluses that can be reinvested into the club or offset to reduce fees; they do well to break even, and the fact the the income and expenditure for these items are rolled pretty much across the board rolled into wider club accounts mean the vast amount of committees and members don't even know how much profit/loss these operations are actually running at (particularly where staff in smaller clubs are often doing a bit of admin as well as running a bar - these aspects are very, very seldom cross-costed in meaningful P&L reports).

Clubs need to find a way of delivering what their members actually want from their club - and when was the last time your Club ran any kind of meaningful (and regular) member survey to wring this information out? I'll bet if you have completed a detailed member survey over the last five years, it was a one-off exercise that hasn't been repeated. I'll also bet that the majority feedback was about on-course stuff (bunkers, pace of play, availability of morning tee-times on a weekend, etc) rather than the bar offer or the catering menu...

Our bar account has it's own section on the balance sheet so it's easy to see how good or bad it is doing.  The figures are certainly boosted by private functions, clubhouse was very busy today with a funeral party in. 

We've just had a survey that was specifically about the bar and kitchen, not heard the outcome yet. 

One of the biggest ongoing cost concerns at the moment is keeping the bunkers to a good standard. The price of good quality sand is apparently sky high at the moment, costing anywhere between 6 and 10k per bunker depending on the size. They are considering filling a few in to save a bit of cash every year.

22 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

Yellow balls and a bucket hat?? Trying too hard...

Like when you go to portugal on a stagger and someone’s booked a round of golf and you just attend it for the piss up

11 hours ago, Moorie said:

Like when you go to portugal on a stagger and someone’s booked a round of golf and you just attend it for the piss up

I did this in Spain a few years ago, at a place whose website boasted of good quality rental clubs; sadly I ended up in the group with the left handed putter.