Golfers Thread

Gaz

This has probably been asked before but.....who is the GOAT in your opinion? Tiger or Jack?

Tiger for me
There's an argument for both. Nicklaus won more majors obvs and had a couple of other players of comparable ability challenging him on a regular basis. Tiger only 2 majors behind, but won more tournaments overall.

I'm going to say Bobby Jones [emoji23]

This has probably been asked before but.....who is the GOAT in your opinion? Tiger or Jack?

Tiger for me
Tiger has played better golf, but Jack is the GOAT for me because of his consistency and longevity, especially at the majors.

In 44 majors from 1970 to 1980 inclusive, he missed one cut. 38 top 10s in those with 30 of those in the top 5, and 10 wins. As well as his 18 major wins he had 19 second places. Astounding consistency.

I should add that as a fan of Jack's it's been gutting to see him back Trump then get involved with a new course in Saudi.

There's no doubt for me that if Tiger didn't self destruct he'd have over 20 major wins by now. 
He's had a couple of periods in his career where he reached levels of dominance and excellence that probably won't be seen again. 
Some commentators predicted his back problems too, reckoning that he couldn't continue to hit the ball that hard without doing himself damage. Hope this isn't the end but doesn't sound good.

Nicklaus' record was incredible, but I think the fields were weaker and Tiger's wins were more impressive. The US Open on one leg at Torrey Pines, that first Masters when he just destroyed the field and the course. Winning the US at Pebble by 15 strokes, the Open where he never hit a bunker all week. The comeback at Augusta in 2019.

No one did it like The Cat.

Nicklaus' record was incredible, but I think the fields were weaker and Tiger's wins were more impressive. The US Open on one leg at Torrey Pines, that first Masters when he just destroyed the field and the course. Winning the US at Pebble by 15 strokes, the Open where he never hit a bunker all week. The comeback at Augusta in 2019.
Don't agree with the weaker fields tbh, Nicklaus had to beat the likes of Player, Palmer, Watson, Trevino and Floyd, all multiple major winners themselves.

A serious car crash probably isn't good for someone with serious back problems. Just hope he's able to walk again and have a decent quality of life.

After seeing him on Sunday, why didn't someone take the keys off him?

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
22 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Don't agree with the weaker fields tbh, Nicklaus had to beat the likes of Player, Palmer, Watson, Trevino and Floyd, all multiple major winners themselves.

All great players of course. I feel the depth of the fields have been stronger in the last 20 years, mostly due to the equipment and fitness levels which were undoubtedly influenced by Tiger.

1 hour ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The Pebble Beach US Open was one where I think I watched almost every minute of the coverage. 

On paper a procession like that should've been a bore but I can remember feeling like this was golf at a level that had never been reached before. 

I underwent a microdiscectomy in 2016 and was lucky that it removed all my back issues because at one point, I was a complete zombie on Tramadol, Codeine and Amitriptyline and at one point was in so much pain I fleetingly considered offing myself before catching onto myself very quickly. I slept on the couch as even the weight of a sheet on my legs was too much to bear and I didn't drive for about 6 months as I would have certainly been a risk of totalling any vehicle. 

I've always felt completely sorry for Tiger. The guy should be out of sight as the greatest in terms of majors and still one of the very top players on the go. Thing is though, all the money and adulation are f**k all if you are living with that pain constantly. 4 microdiscectomies and spinal fusion is at a point that he'll already certainly have lifelong issues and I winced at the thought of adding a serious car crash on top of that.

I just hope the guy can literally get back on his feet at one point. It's time to stop swinging the clubs though. Exercise is great for physical rehab but I was always warned in post op care to never overdo anything repetitive for a long time. The physical toll of repetitively swinging clubs is never, ever going to help him if he wants to recover. 

If he's had multiple leg fractures on top of the back issues, then I think it's curtains for his career. If he is even able to play again he won't be anywhere close to competitive at the top level and I think it'd be sad to see him turning up to make up the numbers at somewhere like Sawgrass only to shoot 82-80 or something. 

I think the strength of fields thing is an interesting debate when you compare Woods and Nicklaus. Jack was up against top class golfers throughout his career from Palmer in his early 60s heyday, then onto guys like Gary Player, Tom Watson and Greg Norman latterly. Woods' first rivalry seemed to be with David Duval who completely fell apart in what seemed like no time, briefly Mark O'Meara, any other players you felt might be able to take him on just seemed to wilt in his presence. Ernie Els was on the way down and Garcia who at one time was viewed as a similarly great player in the making basically didn't seem to hole an important putt anywhere other than in Ryder Cups. 

The pressure shots Woods pulled off at the business end of Tournaments were utterly mental at times, verging on impossible, and of course the same is probably true of Nicklaus, we just don't have even a fraction of the TV footage of him. Both are quite simply sensational golfers and absolute legends, It's just sad that Woods' career has (probably) come to such an end. It would have been good to see him close out his career walking down the last at St Andrews but I doubt he'll be in a position to play again. 

If, as appears increasingly likely, he’s been driving while under the influence, I have zero sympathy for the man. The silver lining is he is the only person injured. An incredible talent but a downright despicable human being who could’ve quite easily wiped out an entire family. 

10 minutes ago, AllSaint said:

If, as appears increasingly likely, he’s been driving while under the influence, I have zero sympathy for the man. The silver lining is he is the only person injured. An incredible talent but a downright despicable human being who could’ve quite easily wiped out an entire family. 

To be fair the initial reports are that he seemed unimpaired, although I won't be surprised if toxicology tests show differently. 

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

To be fair the initial reports are that he seemed unimpaired, although I won't be surprised if toxicology tests show differently. 

No "blood draw" has been asked for by the local sherriff

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/23/us/tiger-woods-car-accident-intl-spt/index.html