Quick Question Thread

Guest Moomintroll

Ffs Tynie, where's your sense of timing. As BB said, you only had to wait 24 hours.

The post has been edited but spare us the faux outrage Mediocre Hat Stand, Stuart Anderson etc etc etc.

1 hour ago, philpy said:
4 hours ago, MixuFixit said:
See when they chop down a forestry stand, why do they often leave a handful of tree trunks upright?

It's because I'm a lumberjack.

Do you like to skip and jump and press wild flowers...?

lumberjack.jpg.092dbbf7f8c51defd1d700a59dd3a706.jpg

Speaking as someone who you would describe as 'coloured' I would definitely be massively insulted if i was described in this way and having grown up in Birmingham I know all my childhood friends would feel exactly the same. It's an offensive , racist and belittling term and I'm genuinely gutted that it's deemed acceptable here.
I am not describing you as coloured as I don't know anything about you. If you read my post I am saying what one of my best friends describes herself as.

7 hours ago, jimmy boo said:
15 hours ago, Hoggles said:
Speaking as someone who you would describe as 'coloured' I would definitely be massively insulted if i was described in this way and having grown up in Birmingham I know all my childhood friends would feel exactly the same. It's an offensive , racist and belittling term and I'm genuinely gutted that it's deemed acceptable here.

I am not describing you as coloured as I don't know anything about you. If you read my post I am saying what one of my best friends describes herself as.

In America the term 'coloured person' is offensive but 'person of colour' is acceptable. Nobody can explain why other than "It just is."

(I refuse to use their incorrect spelling, BTW.)

In America the term 'coloured person' is offensive but 'person of colour' is acceptable. Nobody can explain why other than "It just is."
(I refuse to use their incorrect spelling, BTW.)
It's easy to explain why.

Pre-60s the term 'coloured' was used openly as a disparaging term for black people. It was on all the signage for Jim crow laws. It clearly has a 'history'.

People of colour is a completely different term and isn't just used to mention black people. It's used to show wider racism faced by non white people.

23 hours ago, Hoggles said:

Is the term 'coloured' an acceptable term to use on this forum to describe people of African descent? As far as I'm concerned it's a term which offends me deeply but I reported a post on the Italian football thread this morning and the post remains. I'd just like to clarify if blatant racism such as this is allowed on this forum?

One of my colleagues is from Cameroon, I double -take every time he uses the noun “negro”.

14 minutes ago, mathematics said:

One of my colleagues is from Cameroon, I double -take every time he uses the noun “negro”.

Stop calling the poor bloke "coloured", then.

1 minute ago, SlipperyP said:

How do you know if he is poor? Or a person of colour.

It's a fair point. Perhaps he's racially haranguing poor mathematics.

(no fiscal judgement implied)

30 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I’m learning Spanish and still find it uncomfortable that the word for black is negro.