Quick Question Thread

Anyone ever replaced a macerator? Ours has just died, and it looks like it would be fairly straightforward to swap it over with a new one, but I'm wary in case I make a c**t of it.

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Anyone ever replaced a macerator? Ours has just died, and it looks like it would be fairly straightforward to swap it over with a new one, but I'm wary in case I make a c**t of it.

You should get two so they can breed.

45 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Have you tried just replacing the fuse?

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Yep, the fuse had blown, but it's just making a whining noise now (like me). It's very old anyway and needs replaced, but the YouTube videos I'm seeing recommend taking it apart and giving it a clean out. Can't make matters worse, and it might get me through the next couple of weeks until someone can replace it.

24 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I find it incredible that anyone in Alloa owns a macerator. I thought you all still had middens in the back gairden.

How else am I supposed to force the human flesh down into the sewers?

Yep, the fuse had blown, but it's just making a whining noise now (like me). It's very old anyway and needs replaced, but the YouTube videos I'm seeing recommend taking it apart and giving it a clean out. Can't make matters worse, and it might get me through the next couple of weeks until someone can replace it.
If it's just making a noise for a few seconds then blowing the fuse I'd check the capacitor on the motor.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, BFTD said:

If it's just making a noise for a few seconds then blowing the fuse I'd check the capacitor on the motor.

The fuse blowing seems have been coincidence, or caused by whatever happened when the motor gave up the ghost. It hasn't blown the fuse again, but just makes a quiet buzzing noise - I found a useful-looking guide here that indicates it needs surgery of some sort.

It's more than ten years old, so I think I'll just get an expert to replace it, as the ones I've looked at have inlets/outlets in different places, and I'm not fucking about changing pipes as I've no idea what I'm doing. The first flood has already caused enough damage, and I don't want to risk the same thing happening again! In the meantime, I'll be traipsing our dirty clothes over to my maw's, and emptying the dishwater into a bucket.

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Alloa has sewers? I thought you just chucked all your crap out of the window.

I say sewers; it's more a slide across the Forth that empties out in Grangemouth. You've probably noticed the smell.

I say sewers; it's more a slide across the Forth that empties out in Grangemouth. You've probably noticed the smell.
Given what I have heard about various enviromental discharges that go from Grangemouth and out in your direction, id say you are on an absolute hiding to nothing here.....

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Do what you need to do. But don’t take any advice from this guy. Please. 

26 minutes ago, PWL said:

Probably been asked numerous times before but best place in Glasgow to get a football shirt framed? 

Depends what kind of frame you want, but years ago I got one done in Wilton Glazing on Great Western Road. 

The same company have the big Forsyth place down near Glasgow Green