Quick Question Thread

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Where's the best place to park for the SEC? 

The southern half of Elliot Street gets you a 10 minute walk off the SEC campus and a head start to get back onto the M8. If using your satnav, G3 8EX

https://www.google.com/maps/place/144+Elliot+St,+Glasgow+G3+8EX/@55.8590884,-4.2814368,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x488846805e0af6bd:0x4ab97d3de5271b52!8m2!3d55.8590884!4d-4.2788619!16s%2Fg%2F11c3rsvb6_?entry=ttu

On 11/10/2023 at 13:37, Bairnardo said:

Cheers Ruggy. 

And now another question...

Re mobile phones for kids....

Does anyone have any recommendations of a decent phone for an 8 year old?

For sec. Park around Yorkhill fire station. There's a walkway over the expressway.

My youngest and I are clumsy af and I've found Motorolas survive most things. Basic handset is £70/80 and does all my ten year old needs.

I have it connected to a family app that limits screen time, and can set limits on age context and time spent on individual apps. That's an android thing rather than motorla though.

8 minutes ago, RH33 said:

For sec. Park around Yorkhill fire station. There's a walkway over the expressway.

My youngest and I are clumsy af and I've found Motorolas survive most things. Basic handset is £70/80 and does all my ten year old needs.

I have it connected to a family app that limits screen time, and can set limits on age context and time spent on individual apps. That's an android thing rather than motorla though.

What's the name of the app? Sounds ideal

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

What's the name of the app? Sounds ideal

Family Link, let's you keep eye on where they are too.

And possibly the best feature it plays a sound when they inevitably forget where they left it and they're storming round house in bad mood!!

12 minutes ago, RH33 said:

And possibly the best feature it plays a sound when they inevitably forget where they left it and they're storming round house in bad mood!!

I think the phone itself matters less now, with such an app to do the shit I thought I needed the phone to do. Cheers 

If the first named storm of the year was on the 27th/28th September, and the second named one is on the way at the end of this week, was the weather event that flooded some towns, cancelled some fitba, decimated fields of crops, and brought traffic chaos and stopped rail travel in Scotland just "bad weather"?

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

If the first named storm of the year was on the 27th/28th September, and the second named one is on the way at the end of this week, was the weather event that flooded some towns, cancelled some fitba, decimated fields of crops, and brought traffic chaos and stopped rail travel in Scotland just "bad weather"?

Yes.

I’ve always wanted to correctly answer a question in this thread and now I have.

2 hours ago, Dan Steele said:

Names storms relate to wind speed only, hence "Best from the east" was never formally named as it caused chaos but wasn't windy.

The first storm of the year dumped a month's worth of rain in a single day and this incoming one is 200mm in a similarly short period. Weather will get more extreme as the climate changes.

3 hours ago, RH33 said:

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the phone itself matters less now, with such an app to do the shit I thought I needed the phone to do. Cheers 

Family link is decent but has limitations. My 13yo seems to have figured out how to circumvent every restriction except a remote change to her screen lock code, but can still take calls with her screen locked.