Quick Question Thread

See the trolleys you get at smaller supermarkets (the ones which can only be released after you put a coin in the slot), do you get your money back when you attach it back to the rest of the trolleys? I've always wondered..

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

See the trolleys you get at smaller supermarkets (the ones which can only be released after you put a coin in the slot), do you get your money back when you attach it back to the rest of the trolleys? I've always wondered..

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Yes.

I have tried Google, but the only answers I've had refer to the US, where I am obviously not.

I was speaking to the Council Tax office the other day as they sent a bill out to us, when we're both students and don't pay. We submitted all the relevant documentation in person after spending the morning going between uni and college to get the paperwork they wanted signed. We didn't hear anything again then until we got the bill last week. They then told me that they never received the documentation and they are still waiting for it. I asked them why they hadn't been charging us before now, she said that they had and a debt had been passed on to Scott & Co.

This isn't the first time they've lost documentation. There was a debt passed on a while back because they said they hadn't received anything when again, it was handed in in person. Each time Scott & Co contacted me about it, I told them that I didn't have a debt as I was a student and that they should go back to Glasgow City Council about it. I've not heard anything about that debt, either by post or phone for a long time now, so I assumed that was what they had done.

Anyway, I told the woman from GCC that I wouldn't be dealing with S&C as there shouldn't be a debt and she told me that I had no choice. Is this true? Can you refuse to deal with debt collection agencies? I have heard that you can, but anecdotally, so I've no idea if it's true or not. I'd be a little more accepting of it if I felt like I owed the money, but I don't!

When you handed the documents in did you get a reciept? If not then it's you word avaunt theirs and as such you will have to deal with the agency. In saying that I would contact the council and tell them that you are less than happy with the situation but you are willing to go through the process again and fill in fresh forms if they sound positive just do it, you'll never beat a beurocrat. If they are not positive contact your local councillor (just before election time) and ask for help and tell them that you'd rather not go to the papers but you feel pressured into a corner and don't know how you'll manage.

When you handed the documents in did you get a reciept? If not then it's you word avaunt theirs and as such you will have to deal with the agency. In saying that I would contact the council and tell them that you are less than happy with the situation but you are willing to go through the process again and fill in fresh forms if they sound positive just do it, you'll never beat a beurocrat. If they are not positive contact your local councillor (just before election time) and ask for help and tell them that you'd rather not go to the papers but you feel pressured into a corner and don't know how you'll manage.

We didn't, stupidly, because we just didn't think to at the time. You don't expect stuff to go missing when you place it in someone's hand, but this is GCC we're talking about. They've sent us out some more forms, so we'll need to get them signed again, it's just a big hassle, particuarly when I'm on maternity leave so I'll be making a special trip for it.

I intend writing a letter of complaint to the office in question because it's just a ridiculous situation. The fact that it's not even the first time it's happened is just a sign of incompetence. I might just write to the local councillor any way, purely because the staff at the Parkhead office are awful to deal with. Thank you.

Agree totally with the above, but would add that you should always keep copies of documentation of this type and specifically ask for receipts when you hand the originals in.

If things then go tits up, you then hand in your copies and receipt (after making a second set of copies and ensuring that you ask for another receipt!) and ask to invoke the formal complaints procedure.

This usually concentrates the bureaucrat's mind sufficiently to ensure that your case then receives some attention.

We didn't, stupidly, because we just didn't think to at the time. You don't expect stuff to go missing when you place it in someone's hand, but this is GCC we're talking about. They've sent us out some more forms, so we'll need to get them signed again, it's just a big hassle, particuarly when I'm on maternity leave so I'll be making a special trip for it.

I intend writing a letter of complaint to the office in question because it's just a ridiculous situation. The fact that it's not even the first time it's happened is just a sign of incompetence. I might just write to the local councillor any way, purely because the staff at the Parkhead office are awful to deal with. Thank you.

Don't waste your time. Given that they couldn't process a simple exemption form without losing it, what are the chances of a letter you write actually making it all the way through to someone who gives a shit?

Are there any Catholic Rangers fans out there? :huh:

A mate of mine is a catholic rangers fan (or was raised as one at least). He used to get made to go to chapel as a youngster before coming up with the ingenious idea or wearing a ****' top underneath his jumper then taking off said jumper mid-service.

Don't waste your time. Given that they couldn't process a simple exemption form without losing it, what are the chances of a letter you write actually making it all the way through to someone who gives a shit?

That's a fair point. I might end up force-feeding it to someone instead. Ok, so they won't be able to read it, but I'm sure it'll get my point across.

Does anyone know of any Books, online documents etc. for help with the Theory Test. I know its supposed to be a bit of a canter, just looking for some information on what is going to be in it, then I can plan around that using the Highway Code pdf.

Has anyone else grown quite fond of all the Kickback gifs (and the various other versions that have come about)?

Has anyone else grown quite fond of all the Kickback gifs (and the various other versions that have come about)?

the gregg wallace one - with the out come of the cup final tweets - is up there with one of the funnier ones

When they're used well, it's excellent, but they can be overused.

That's a fair point. I might end up force-feeding it to someone instead. Ok, so they won't be able to read it, but I'm sure it'll get my point across.

If it makes you feel any better they passed mine to Scott & Co as well. The reason? They had my address wrong. Every time I made a payment it went toward my neighbour's bill (and if they had bothered paying, theirs would have went to my bill). I called up, told them to poke it for their money, and shortly after received a letter of apology (which the imbeciles delivered to my neighbour's flat and he stuck it through my door).