The New Raith Rovers Thread

After the first Falkirk goal the writing was on the wall pathetic performance.there was only a couple with pass marks missed mvoto hugely today im not sure what good changing the manager would do as anyone coming in is stuck with Locke's duds and the budget stretched as it is

Born in Greenock. He has a deal with East Kilbride that he can go if a full time offer comes in. Daily Record reliability.

Hmm. Fair enough. I don't see that many f/t clubs being interested in less he absolutely tears it up though.

I suppose its better than ending up at Clyde with a load of other former Rangers youths.

After the first Falkirk goal the writing was on the wall pathetic performance.there was only a couple with pass marks missed mvoto hugely today im not sure what good changing the manager would do as anyone coming in is stuck with Locke's duds and the budget stretched as it is

I'm maybe in the minority but on paper I think we have a good team. We just don't have anyone who can organise them.

I think we could bring in umpteen new strikers, but unless we can add some creativity to the middle of the park, they'll barely have a chance to speak of.

As much as I was glad to see Ryan Hardie coming back, the aura around him is predominantly down to that hat-trick against St Mirren. He's actually only ever scored in 4 games for us.

That's not awful by any stretch, considering he's only made about 14 appearances, but still, his stats don't suggest he'll get us out of this slump.

Of most concern, if he struggled to score with Aiden Connolly playing behind him, then he'll really toil to score this term.

We don't have anyone at the club who can positively change things in the middle of the park, which means we're either hoping the current personnel can improve, we bring another in, or we amble along to the end of the season with an as-is approach.

I'm guessing it'll be option c.

I'm maybe in the minority but on paper I think we have a good team. We just don't have anyone who can organise them.

To be fair we have been reasonably well organised until the last couple of games. However, we've not looked dangerous in an attacking sense for some time. Last time I recall us looking dangerous was Falkirk away in October.

Basically McManus has went off the boil, Stewart isn't getting a game, we've not had a settled defence and probably most importantly our midfield is creating nothing for the forwards.

I don't really rate Johnston. He looks the part at times but he's not effective. Barr has come back in but he's not playing at the same level as he was before his injury in October. Mathews isn't getting a game and Callachan and Thompson are not playing well enough.

We could do with getting Craig Barr back in the team too.

I reckon Baird's on his way back to us in the summer. He already knows it as well.

He doesn't normally applaud the Rovers fans when he gets subbed but he spent more time applauding us when he went off than he did applauding Falkirk fans.

USA bound

Incidentally. Is there anyone on here who booed Declan McManus coming on?

He hasn't been very good for yonks, I'm sure even he knows that, but I'd love to hear the thought process about how booing him onto the park would improve matters.

Wasn't me. I was in the Main Stand again today. Booing would at least count as atmosphere in there.

To be fair we have been reasonably well organised until the last couple of games. However, we've not looked dangerous in an attacking sense for some time. Last time I recall us looking dangerous was Falkirk away in October.

Basically McManus has went off the boil, Stewart isn't getting a game, we've not had a settled defence and probably most importantly our midfield is creating nothing for the forwards.

I don't really rate Johnston. He looks the part at times but he's not effective. Barr has come back in but he's not playing at the same level as he was before his injury in October. Mathews isn't getting a game and Callachan and Thompson are not playing well enough.

We could do with getting Craig Barr back in the team too.

What I found myself thinking today was, has he been concentrating on our "Forward thinking players" so much in training that he's forgotten about the rest of the team? Our defence was a shambles, I can look past cat having a bad game as it's not a regular occurrence. The likes of Thomson, who struggled badly against hippolyte, and mchattie, who needs to get the blonde back in his hair asap were brutal.

We actually played some tidy football the first 20 mins or so but that was fucked as soon as Stevenson went off. I don't think stevnson is a good signing either which says alot.

Hardie actually did well today considering a lack of service. He worked hard had A few shots when he could and bar a good bit of defending near the end would have had a goal.

Think Matthews is injured along with (surprise, surprise) mango

Listening to your game on Sportsound today it sounded almost like Locke had told the players put every passage of play through Stevo and we might create something which you did but once he went off did the players look as if they were shocked to see their main guy go off and no backup plan in place. That's how it sounded in commentary any way also Locke has won only a quarter of his games in charge surely that is terrible for a manager .

5 hours ago, rw89 said:

The whole connection to Hearts at the club is cringe-inducing as f**k. If you want a sign of how our operation is run internally, the fact they've set up our hospitality to have a Q&A with Skacel and Locke after the game. They're putting as much of an effort into attracting Jambos for a day out as they are to promoting the club on a regular basis. Their whole basis appears to be reduce the prices for average league games, before going to the press and asking why folk aren't showing up in droves. They've done excellent work with stuff like the Roary Club, but there's very little for folk who might have a passing interest. That and our social media outlook is very basic too. 

It was a split between "what the f**k are the board doing?" and "Give him a chance, lower level, chance to manage a club who aren't in crisis etc". People were well aware it could all go tits up. 

Agree about the Hearts thing. If they pump us in the cup, it'll stick in the craw a bit that our manager is gladhanding Jambos after the game

5 hours ago, rw89 said:

They've done excellent work with stuff like the Roary Club

Not one to bash the board but not sure they deserve any credit for that. I think it was set up by fans and is completely run by volunteers. 

Edited by roverthemoon

4 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Not one to bash the board but not sure they deserve any credit for that. I think it was set up by fans and is completely run by volunteers. 

:lol: If that's the case, then the board need to reassess the situation and have a look at maybe getting people who are maybe a bit more savvy in their PR and use of social media. Our style looks very early 2000s compared to most clubs at this level. They'd probably look at instagram and snapchat with a look of bewilderment

On PR/social media, just to point out that while I agree it is sadly lacking, Rovers match day playlist has been on Spotify since about August 2016. See randompenfriend on Spotify if you wish to check it out. Dunfermline, since Rovers were compared to it, is still not up and running and Hearts only got theirs going last week. But I agree, we could and should be doing a whole lot more.