The New Raith Rovers Thread

In all honesty when was the last time we really played attractive football? We had half a season under mckinnon where it was good to watch but it's never been the rovers style of play. I'd love for that to change but iv said it before and I'll say it again, at this level give me organised and effective over fancy.

As far as I can recall we have on the most part played direct football.

Whether it’s the keeper hitting it long, or a defender hitting it into the channels is has been direct football.

Style of football only gets brought up when your not winning.

With regard to McKinnon he was direct (hoof to Jon Daly) until he got the loanees signed up in january. 

In all honesty when was the last time we really played attractive football? We had half a season under mckinnon where it was good to watch but it's never been the rovers style of play. I'd love for that to change but iv said it before and I'll say it again, at this level give me organised and effective over fancy.

You have organised and effective under Smith. He went unbeaten at home all season. Wasn’t much fun watching it but it was effective.

Calderon tried to play football but some fans weren’t impressed with it and wanted the ball forward more quickly.

Meh, style of football is really the manager's remit, at this level. You're never going to have the size of football infrastructure required to embed a "philosophy". 

What I'd like to see is a bit more personality emanating from the club. Beyond the standard articles and interviews in the papers, the only real output from the club has been a couple of decent YouTube videos and a couple of tweets from Craig Easton. Someone's obviously trying, there's evidence of an attempt to build a brand, but there's no overall buy-in from the club. 

Motherwell are by far and away the best at it, but Dunfermline could well be running them a close second. You only have to look at the tweets from their players after they lost to Dundee United. 

Look at the Twitter timeline of Fraser Aird (https://twitter.com/FraserAird) to see how easy it is. He's engaging fans constantly, and there's a clear link back to the club's branding etc. He's not doing that himself, that's driven. James Craigen is another one. He's even managed to get a sponsor's name on there too. 

5aef3015309f2_Screenshot2018-05-06at17_40_27.png.6e7e805b2d65e36b38b8710f6410fbef.png 

This is where modern football lives. You can't just ignore people for a week and expect them to turn up on a Saturday. People are being bombarded by "media" all the time, and you need to be there. You get more people down on a Saturday and, crucially, you get greater control over the message. You can turn players into personalities very easily, and you can build on that. 

Hell, in two short training ground videos you could've turned Bobby Barr from a guy who's picking fights with fans to a guy who cares so much that he'll go through walls to get it. You could've sold t-shirts with his face on them. 

Edited by Raith Against The Machine

There is no Rovers brand, other than a slightly grumpy sense that fans are an inconvenience.  The stuff that’s shown any drive and energy around the club is all run by volunteers (RaithTV, Roary Club, 200 Club as examples). Anything the club runs itself tends to be very pedestrian. It’s pretty much always been that way.

Tony Calderon. 

Could be nostalgia or the fact he’d just be something different but I’d have him back in a heartbeat, certainly over the likes of Dick Campbell or Jim Duffy. I do think that the powers that be will give Smith another go though.

You have organised and effective under Smith. He went unbeaten at home all season. Wasn’t much fun watching it but it was effective.

Calderon tried to play football but some fans weren’t impressed with it and wanted the ball forward more quickly.

I get what you mean with that. I'd say mcglynn is the perfect example though. Took him time but he built a team and played to its strengths. Ball into the channels tade or baird chasing it down. That was the style he thought would be effective on the budget he had. Smith has signed players who can't play that way but asked them to. Even at that it's a punt down the middle rather than into the channels most of the time.

Defensively he definitely has us hard to break down (unless we're playing Ayr) he hasn't organised the attacking element of the team though.

Smith has quite clearly failed in his remit. He has said he was told to get us promoted. He hasn't done it. I found it a bit cheeky and a tad insulting, him bringing up budgets in his post match interview. I know he's under contract but it wasn't the time for that.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

Brechin have a £64K head start on us.

Championship
1st - £533,000 (2.25%)
2nd - £450,000 (1.9%)
3rd - £379,000 (1.6%)
4th - £308,000 (1.3%)
5th - £237,000 (1.0%)
6th - £213,000 (0.9%)
7th - £201,000 (0.85%)
8th - £190,000 (0.80%)
9th - £178,000 (0.75%)
10th - £166,000 (0.7%)

League 1
1st - £119,000 (0.50%)
2nd - £102,000 (0.43%)
3rd - £83,000 (0.35%)
4th - £81,000 (0.34%)
5th - £78,000 (0.33%)
6th - £76,000 (0.32%)
7th - £73,000 (0.31%)
8th - £71,000 (0.30%)
9th - £69,000 (0.29%)
10th - £66,000 (0.28%)

Read more at https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/record-prize-money-for-spfl-clubs/#DtKdsUxK7R1CQqWA.99

What was their average attendance etc they didn't push the boat out to stay up neither you or me are privy  to each clubs budget but we should still have more. 

Calderon stumbled over the line in the end. We picked up about 20 more points this season than we did we he won us the league. I'm sure we had 4 chances to win promotion :lol: and went thru some amount of players.

Worth it for Paquito though.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBuddie said:

What would you say if you had won the championshipast week. 

Or alternatively what would we say if:

We'd scored 3 more than Alloa yesterday?

We hadn't shat the bed at Arbroath......or Albion twice or indeed at Ayr?

Or if last season to avoid relegation play offs we'd drawn instead of losing at Ayr or Dunfermline where dubious calls went against us?

Or The goal that never was against QotS hadn't been awarded or the penalty that should have been in the same game had resulted in a win?

Or if we'd been able to defend for a draw at Easter Rd instead of capitulating and losing in the 94th min.

Or of we hadn't shat the bed against an awful Brechin City team in the play offs?

I'd guess it'd be pretty much the same thing as I'm saying now.

As Raith managers go Locke wasn't one, Hughes was a bullying imbecile and  Barry Smith has all the tactical nous of a clipsheer and the charm and charisma of a woodlouse.