The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Just being discussed on Sportsound now.

Michael Stewart saying that Raith "pretty much shot themselves in the foot" with this signing. Also made a good point about how this will affect the victim. He also said that rehabilitation is a two way street and that Goodwillie hadn't done his part. 

Tom English making some good points now that Goodwillie never showed any contrition or regret and has never spoken about her. Also pointed out that the victim was subjected to death and rape threats for speaking out. Never knew that and it just makes things worse for me. He added that the club should have thought about that but failed to do so, and insinuated that they have in turn failed the victim. He's noted that the club didn't think of the fans at all, calling it 'shoddy' and 'shabby', saying he feels for the fans and the victim, but not the club. They've torched the good work and good will of the fans. "An act of complete self sabotage".

Richard Gordon saying he can't understand the decision making. Asked what Raith saw that other clubs didn't.

They're all pretty incredulous about this signing, and I felt that English and Stewart were holding back a bit and choosing their words carefully for the most part. They were all very clear that they felt most for the victim as well.

They also didn’t shy away from calling him a rapist 

I understand the brouhaha from Raith Fans, but why are the government, celebrities and the media getting so worked up about this? Goodwillie hasn’t returned after a hiatus,  he’s been playing for Clyde for more than a few years

. Is moving 50 odd miles and up about 10 league positions really make that much of a difference? 

2 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

I understand the brouhaha from Raith Fans, but why are the government, celebrities and the media getting so worked up about this? Goodwillie hasn’t returned after a hiatus,  he’s been playing for Clyde for more than a few years

. Is moving 50 odd miles and up about 10 league positions really make that much of a difference? 

6 degrees of separation, social media and such.

4 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Val McDermid has a high profile and that's where Sturgeon etc picked this up. I agree with you to an extent btw - unless you're associated with Raith then nothing has really changed re Goodwillie in the last 24 hours.

Clyde got off very lightly over the last few years in terms of backlash.

6 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Hiya John Sim, hiya pal.

7 minutes ago, Andreas Kelevra said:

Tell me you’re stuck in a football bubble without telling me.

Well, normally I'd be at the game but I've been sat at home emailing our CEO and Chairman. Pretty incredible how this was only just starting to emerge last night. The club have done well to build their reputation over the last few years and it's been trashed in one day. Absolute clowns. 

1 hour ago, DA-go Par Adonis said:

It was always going to be a very difficult statement for the Rovers' board to put out.  Maybe they should have enlisted the help of any talented writers that they may have in their fanbase?

Iain Rankin wasn't available. However he's of the same persuasion as the other talented writer.

14 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Should be not signing a rapist.

That ship has sailed and is now being buffered in high seas.

Looking at the crowd tonight and the negative media coverage, the club (those who haven’t patched it) will need to take stock of the implications of their decision.