The New Raith Rovers Thread

Saying nothing is far, far preferable to the statement issued on Tuesday night.  Taking time to say the right things is not the worst approach in the world.

Like it or not, the heat has died down in the wider context of wide spread media attention.  We need to hear something soon, don't get me wrong, but the immediate sting was taken out by Thursdays announcement.

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Saying nothing is far, far preferable to the statement issued on Tuesday night.  Taking time to say the right things is not the worst approach in the world.

Like it or not, the heat has died down in the wider context of wide spread media attention.  We need to hear something soon, don't get me wrong, but the immediate sting was taken out by Thursdays announcement.

I hope they have got this rumoured PR person in because boy do they need to make sure their next communication is an absolute belter.  

Edited by San Starko Rover

23 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

I hope they have got this rumoured PR person in because boy do they need to make sure their next communication is an absolute belter.  

To be honest, if the club were hell bent on making such a decisive signing then a PR agency or expert should have been involved from the start.  Especially since money seems to exist to chuck at this.

**That's not to say it would have made it okay of course, but at least it would have shown they at least pretended to see the significance of their decision. **

38 minutes ago, smpar said:

That could be quite dangerous. You’ve probably considered this but the club should do nothing of the sort without having her written consent first. I know she is already named in numerous sources, but she might not want that sort of attention on her. A good step would be for Raith to find out what she thinks would be a positive step in terms of public apologies/statements.

Agreed, but there are ways of at least expressing the sentiment without having to refer to her individually.

32 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I think it's too late already, tbh. Anything they say now is clearly going to be calculated to try and say the right thing rather than give me any confidence they might actually believe it.

Just now, Yoss said:

Agreed, but there are ways of at least expressing the sentiment without having to refer to her individually.

I think it's too late already, tbh. Anything they say now is clearly going to be calculated to try and say the right thing rather than give me any confidence they might actually believe it.

I agree, that was always going to be the case after doubling down on Tuesday.  It's about trying to say the least wrong thing and mop up as much of the damage as possible.

4 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

To be honest, if the club were hell bent on making such a decisive signing then a PR agency or expert should have been involved from the start.  Especially since money seems to exist to chuck at this.

**That's not to say it would have made it okay of course, but at least it would have shown they at least pretended to see the significance of their decision. **

Money always suddenly appears when it’s needed at the top of any organisation.  

Normally for any board in this kind of mess the obvious thing they do is shift the blame onto the CEO and throw them under the nearest bus to save themselves . However with ours being the only female involved in this that’s probably now the worst move they could make. so it’ll probably be announced tonight around 22:30 🙄 

**it’s great we need to add clarification to say we’re not in favour 😂**

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

A bit of digging on Google would appear to suggest it is indeed her...

Not a good look for her (or the club) then. She obviously has no issue with hiring rapists; once is odd, twice is very weird.

Not a good look for her (or the club) then. She obviously has no issue with hiring rapists; once is odd, twice is very weird.
...... and lying to Val McDermid's face about the second one is a 'jotters' offence.
As an aside, I listened for the first time ever to K107 to hear Bill Clark's interview, and whilst interesting, didn't really shine a lot of light on the situation.
Could be that the board, McGlynn and Ms. McCartney are now in a Reservoir Dogs scenario, standing in a circle, all pointing shooters at each other.

1 hour ago, btb said:

I think the public mood has moved since 2017 (and for the better) when Goodwillie signed for Clyde but say Raith had a more conventional sponsor rather than Val McDairmid would they have kept their heads down rather than forcing the issue , might he have seen the furore out elsewhere?

I bumped the Clyde 2016/17 thread and the responses around that time are quite different to those here. Much more of a split between "I don't feel comfortable with this" and "it was only a civil court/can't stop him earning a living/if he scores goals I don't care"  than here. None of the absolute rage that has consumed Raith Rovers over the past week. 

Maybe this is what caught the board out?

I was hoping everyone at the club was just waiting to get the Hamilton game out the way before turning their attentions to the mess from last week.  Don't think we are going to get the explanations we are looking for from the board or Mcglynn.  Seems the U-turn was due to the backlash rather than the board growing a moral compass all of a sudden.   The media blackout shows that its more likely they will bury their heads in the sand and hope this all dies down.  The recent rumours of the board having no remorse doesn't come as any surprise really if true.

Edited by Rover1990

43 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Money always suddenly appears when it’s needed at the top of any organisation.  

Normally for any board in this kind of mess the obvious thing they do is shift the blame onto the CEO and throw them under the nearest bus to save themselves .

The CEO role should be made redundant. One because it eliminates a paid position and the club is about to take a bath on at least £200k due this transfer, and two because there is absolutely no need for the role to exist at a Scottish Championship club. 

I agree in general that taking time to get the statement right is sensible, but this is day 7 since Goodwillie was announced and day 6 since the 'double down' statement appeared. In my view, we have exhausted the period of time that should be considered reasonable and I am starting to fear the reports on here regarding the board's attitude are accurate, hence the lack of output. Indeed, the longer this takes, the worse it's going to be. If the club cannot control the narrative, it will instead have to fight those put out by others and the damage will be multiplied. 

Edited by Michael W

2 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

I was hoping everyone at the club was just waiting to get the Hamilton game out the way before turning their attentions to the mess from last week.  Don't think we are going to get the explanations we are looking for from the board or Mcglynn.  Seems the U-turn was due to the backlash rather than the board growing a moral compass all of a sudden.   The media blackout shows that its more likely they will bury their heads in the sand and hope this all dies down.  The recent rumours of the board having no remorse doesn't come as any surprise .

Those responsible HAVE TO FUCKING GO. They know they are in an undefendable position. The damage cannot be repaired whilst they are still at the club.

If these rumours are true, then the board will likely ride this out, despite the fact that their wall of silence is drawing widespread criticism from the media.

(although I do have visions of the whole sorry saga being topped off by McGlynn doing a Jim McLean on whoever interviews him from Premier Sports this weekend).

It's going to be up to the supporters to keep the pressure on the board. It's unacceptable for this matter to be allowed to drift.

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

7 minutes ago, philpy said:

Those responsible HAVE TO FUCKING GO. They know they are in an undefendable position. The damage cannot be repaired whilst they are still at the club.

You’re not wrong but unfortunately unless one of us wins the Euro Millions or a local benefactor wants to step up we’ve no way of ousting them all without killing the club in the short to medium term.