The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, basher brash said:

Connolly 5th best scorer in the league a must keep for me

Gullan and Ross I would get rid if possible played more games in the physio room than on the pitch and both will be on a decent wage

Vaughan is getting better by each game IMO and a decent pre season will see him progress further mentally and physically 

Defensively not fussed who stays or goes because we definitely have issues defending set pieces

Brad spencer I feel is going stale and may need a fresh challenge as this has been his poorest season in a Rovers shirt 

We definitely need 2 strikers hopefully a true number 9 which will bring a bit of physicality / threat along with 2 centre halves another winger and full back

Is Nathan Austin not out of contract ? And there is also McGill and Gallagher from Airdrie certainly would be an upgrade on who we have at the moment 

Austin will be out of contract but hardly kicked a ball this season for us so wouldn't be too fussed to lose him if being honest , rumours amongst us fans at Kelty that Potter will be your manager next season if Dean and Barrowman get on board , welcome to him as well 👍

7 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Austin will be out of contract but hardly kicked a ball this season for us so wouldn't be too fussed to lose him if being honest , rumours amongst us fans at Kelty that Potter will be your manager next season if Dean and Barrowman get on board , welcome to him as well 👍

This can get right into Mariana Trench territory. 

Edited by Broken Algorithms

6 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

You sound bitter. 

12 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

You have fans?? Why would someone keep spending hard cash for 150 fans, Nae offence👍

21 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

That can be fired directly into the Forth.

15 minutes ago, sinkorswim said:

Potter rumoured to be going in a Sporting Director type role. Probably more suited to what skills he has for developing talent.

That, less so.

25 minutes ago, Kelheart said:

Well Austin would be an upgrade on some of our forwards at the moment however Potter God forbid 🙈🙈

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Have to laugh at those comparing McGlynn with Murray.

McGlynn went stale.  Made very serious signing errors.  Had to go.

Murray has come in, had his hands tied budget wise because of said McGlynn errors.  In a very small pot of players available that are championship level, we couldnt touch most due to the fact we pull crowds of 1500 at home.  Murray had no option but to take risks as it was obvious we had to get in a striker and a centre back.  What we could afford was obviously rank.  

Its not the managers, its the apathy of the Kirkcaldy people towards their club.  

Incidentally, got a gut feeling that McGlynn will sign Connoly for Falkirk.......

Firstly I've never compared Murray and McGlynn and thought change was needed. There currently is apathy in the town towards the club as we are a club that doesn't play in a style that attracts people to come along. Yes we will always struggle to get home support over 2k but we need a product on the park that will attract the can or can't be bothered fan to turn up on a regular basis. Connelly is very unlikely to end up at Falkirk considering he had a very unhappy experience there previously. 

30 minutes ago, sinkorswim said:

Potter rumoured to be going in a Sporting Director type role. Probably more suited to what skills he has for developing talent.

What skills are these exactly?

9 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Well Austin would be an upgrade on some of our forwards at the moment however Potter God forbid 🙈🙈

Based on what? 2 goals in 18 league games this season, 16 in the previous season in League 2. He's also 29 and spent a lot of time out this season, doesn't feel like much of an upgrade, much of the same really.

Agyeman would be more in the profile we should be looking for, but I think he'll be picked up elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Firstly I've never compared Murray and McGlynn and thought change was needed. There currently is apathy in the town towards the club as we are a club that doesn't play in a style that attracts people to come along. Yes we will always struggle to get home support over 2k but we need a product on the park that will attract the can or can't be bothered fan to turn up on a regular basis. Connelly is very unlikely to end up at Falkirk considering he had a very unhappy experience there previously. 

What style would? 

30 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

You sound bitter. 

Not at all, can't thank Dean enough for what he's done for Kelty but he can only take us so far and hopefully he gets the resources together so you guys get back up the table pushing for promotion , Austin and Potter how ever,  Austin has been a sick note for last couple of seasons and not been at the races when actually playing , Potters idea of football is boring , bland pish 

3 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I think we can do without a wage being expended on an unnecessary off-pitch role as well, tbh. 

Would really need to understand commercials with regards to any outside influence first of all.  On the face of it, I'm not averse to a setup like that.

I see a lot of talk about fixing the defence. Let’s remember where we started and the battle this year has been. Nolan and Lang at CH is a viable Championship pairing, and not attempting to retain both, unless we have signed replacements, would be idiotic. Dick is more expendable, as Young has seemed viable in several matches, but it’s still a risk and Young isn’t signed either. Millen is signed for next year. Masson looks the business, and needs signed too (he’ll at least be inexpensive).

You cannot look at the way we have conceded goals this season without thinking the defence needs some attention.  Even just in the past 2 weeks, 3 goals have been pissed away from set pieces against a terrible Accies side.

Not saying they aren't individually decent players or not worth keeping, but we can't be planning to go into next season with that defence as our first choice.

3 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Would really need to understand commercials with regards to any outside influence first of all.  On the face of it, I'm not averse to a setup like that.

Me neither. With the caveat that these people need to be capable and justify their wages, there needs to be a professionalisation across the club. You can't run with a board of directors who turn up for a few hours at a time but never meet all at once, and a manager who has to do everything for himself, especially without an academy to provide a natural path. 

Football has moved on. Ian Murray can't be training, coaching, managing, scouting, negotiating and recruiting by himself. 

Look at the successful clubs and try to mirror them. Clubs like Livingston and St Mirren who've been where we are and gone on to better things. They're not trying to get promoted out of the Championship by bringing in part-time players, or asking their manager to run the show without adequate support. 

21 hours ago, TxRover said:

Absolutely MacDonald is likely our top salary…Gullan and Ross, not so much, more reclamation projects, Spencer will be pretty decent and Stanton would be an unknown, but probably decent.

Sim’s recent interview makes note of us recently getting the contracts wrong. I think his actual words were “one sided”. If I was guessing our high earners, I’d think it’s very likely that we are paying a fortune for Stanton, Gullan, Ethan Ross, Vaughan, Jamie MacDonald and probably Spencer. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

My view may or may not be prejudiced by the two utterly useless CEOs we have had in recent memory. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sim’s recent interview makes note of us recently getting the contracts wrong. I think his actual words were “one sided”. If I was guessing our high earners, I’d think it’s very likely that we are paying a fortune for Stanton, Gullan, Ethan Ross, Vaughan, Jamie MacDonald and probably Spencer. 

He also indicated McGlynn was bad for building in increases to contracts. Robbing the future budget to pay for today, which of course is no longer John McGlynn's problem.