The New Raith Rovers Thread

When you look at the Queens goal - it was a stunner and I'm sure the lad would never be able to replicate that again. You could say the same again about the Arbroath keepers strike. So in this respect you might say we have been unlucky, but luck work its self out and we have had our late goals.... so I suppose we can't complain too much.

In terms of our team, we have known from early in the season we concede too many goals... but were OK with it because we kept winning. We don't have our injury problems to find which doesn't help our back line much, but it is absolutely something we need to have a look at. In my opinion, we need someone like Big Marv at the back - a big presence that will attack the ball and just get it clear.

26 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

A definite positive is the crowd situation this season. When was the last time we had crowds like that in December and mid-January?

IMG_5916.thumb.jpeg.4ae2bc2b24b997cc926314edd9b100dd.jpeg

Will they last or is this a one season wonder?

There's no doubt the crowds have increased significantly, but it's worth remembering the free season tickets given to under 12s and the fact that we now give our attendances on "tickets sold" (whether season ticket holders are actually in the ground or not) rather than "clicks of the turnstile" which we did previously.

18 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

There's no doubt the crowds have increased significantly, but it's worth remembering the free season tickets given to under 12s and the fact that we now give our attendances on "tickets sold" (whether season ticket holders are actually in the ground or not) rather than "clicks of the turnstile" which we did previously.

True, but you could see by the crowd on Saturday that figure looked pretty accurate.

49 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

For the most part the South Stand looks significantly busier than in seasons gone by and there's folk I haven't seen in years coming back to games. I sat in the Main Stand for the Arbroath game and even that stand felt pretty busy. I do find some of the comments on Twitter/X quite interesting with folk saying the atmosphere at Starks lately has been 'toxic'. Clearly these folk haven't been going to the Rovers for long if they think it's a toxic atmosphere. I will agree that the atmosphere (in terms of singing) has been poor as of late for a team that were sitting top of the league. As for boos at full time, maybe it's just where I was sitting but I didn't hear much and there was a decent amount of folk applauding the team off the park which the players acknowledged, previous Rovers teams would have just sauntered off the pitch. 

As for Saturday and looking ahead I'm not quite at panic stations yet. The board made it clear that the playoffs were the goal and that we're way ahead of where they thought we would be at this stage. Christ Dundee Utd aren't even well ahead of us at the moment and whilst folk bang on about them having a game in hand they still need to win it against a team who have beaten them already this season. On Saturday Hamilton should have been coming home with the match ball and on another day we win that comfortably. Our backline consisted of a teenager, a midfielder and a winger ffs. Yes results and performances lately haven't been great but we're level on points with Dundee Utd, a far bigger club than us. Writing the team off at the moment is silly. 

I'd much rather we were in the position we're in at the moment than last season where we were mingling about midtable with heehaw to play for. 

A blip was always on the horizon but folk need to calm their tits. 

2 hours ago, chris1883 said:

When you look at the Queens goal - it was a stunner and I'm sure the lad would never be able to replicate that again. You could say the same again about the Arbroath keepers strike. So in this respect you might say we have been unlucky, but luck work its self out and we have had our late goals.... so I suppose we can't complain too much.

Take a look at the amount of goals we have conceded from outside the box recently. It isn't just the defence that's the problem - it's too much space being afforded. 

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Take a look at the amount of goals we have conceded from outside the box recently. It isn't just the defence that's the problem - it's too much space being afforded. 

Said as much recently & it was touched upon on the ONNN pod.

From the Ayr game (inclusive) onward, I felt like every goal conceded was the same goal (Arbroath’s goalie toe poke aside).

Attacker running from midfield, Rovers players backing off & giving too much space. Shot from outside the area across the ‘keeper & goal.

Just received (and completed) a survey from the club regarding setting up a singing section, and ideas for improvement in general. 

I'd encourage all Rovers fans who receive this to complete it. 

Include any ideas you can think of as nothing should be off the table (unless completely ridiculous).

29 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

Just received (and completed) a survey from the club regarding setting up a singing section, and ideas for improvement in general. 

I'd encourage all Rovers fans who receive this to complete it. 

Include any ideas you can think of as nothing should be off the table (unless completely ridiculous).

Completed.Singing Section at front of South Stand for Airdrie game please

Completed. While personally i'm not a huge fan of singing football songs, I even struggle to muster the energy to stand up to show I hate the pars (its an age thing) but having a proper designated section is something i'd be behind. The railway stand was too far away from the core support to feasibly work out, so trying something else is a great idea.

Completed. It's interesting the difference in our away crowd in comparison to when at home - that's been the case for donkeys seasons now mind you. The group at the back of the South Stand each week look about primary school age so haven't a clue where the older kids that frequent group singing areas in away grounds sit when we're at home. Hopefully the trial against Airdrie is a success.

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

Completed. It's interesting the difference in our away crowd in comparison to when at home - that's been the case for donkeys seasons now mind you. The group at the back of the South Stand each week look about primary school age so haven't a clue where the older kids that frequent group singing areas in away grounds sit when we're at home. Hopefully the trial against Airdrie is a success.

My son is at uni and goes to every game , he doesn’t go where the primary school kids are at home games as he likes his own pals but in the heart of the singing  at away games( an eye opener for his mum at the United game 😂😂) so I think the older lads are spread out at home games and trying it at home game v airdrie is a good thing down the front of the stand and I completed the survey .

17 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Heard his name linked with us a couple of weeks ago. Can't really say I've noticed him when we've played Arbroath so can't really give an opinion.

He's the guy that started a fight with his own team mate?

On 13/01/2024 at 19:11, MICMAC said:

We created more than enough chances today to win that game and their keeper made at least 3 top drawer saves. On another day we could've been up by 3 at half time. Vaughan needs to stop throwing himself to the ground nearly every time someone goes near him, the last 5 or 6 games it has become really noticeable andvit frustrates the fek out of me.

Their first goal was just like most of the rest we've conceded lately, boy runs with the ball and runs and runs and nobody goes anywhere near him to close him down, they all go with runners and leave him to it. McNeil had  no chance with either goal, just poor defending. 

All our pace and urgency has gone AWOL apart from the last 5 minutes today. Since the Dundee United game Easton has wanted to take on 3 or 4 players and then do it again. Before that game he'd hit the byline and cross it or cut inside, shoot or pass it.

Dick being his usual self, put the ball out of play every time he tried to pass it up the line.

Hamilton, Byrne, Turner, Connelly, McNeil and probably Corr had a decent game but there's far too many individuals wanting to do it all themselves at the moment.

It's just so frustrating watching the team at the moment when we know what they're capable of. Yes we lost today but there was a lot of good football on show from us at times. We just can't seem to finish teams off.

Onwards and upwards, let's give Livi a good skelping next week.

Most sensible post so far 

11 minutes ago, philpy said:

A colleague of mine knows Easton quite well, and he was out on the piss on Friday night. I'm hoping he's at the wind up.

Don’t think we should be posting speculations mate, that’s the kind of thing that could get the laddie in trouble. 

if he knows him well and sees him as a pal he wouldn’t be spreading that 💩, true or not

Watson to hopefully get some minutes in a bounce game with Dundee and all going well could be in the squad for the weekend.

Big Kev could also be back all going well, whilst it is a groin issue for Murray according to the gaffer.