The New Raith Rovers Thread

44 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

Watson to hopefully get some minutes in a bounce game with Dundee and all going well could be in the squad for the weekend.

Big Kev could also be back all going well, whilst it is a groin issue for Murray according to the gaffer.

A prelude to Ashcroft signing perhaps 🤞

Im not sure Ashcroft is going anywhere tbh, maybe we are looking for a better left back as dick can play left cb ( some might argue he is better there) saw on Twitter rumours about hylton , if he is quick then there maybe some truth in it but who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️( not a bad return on the goals front for a team struggling) 

29 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Im not sure Ashcroft is going anywhere tbh, maybe we are looking for a better left back as dick can play left cb ( some might argue he is better there) saw on Twitter rumours about hylton , if he is quick then there maybe some truth in it but who knows 🤷🏻‍♂️( not a bad return on the goals front for a team struggling) 

Hylton got punted from Arbroath following his sending off for fighting his own teammate. While it may have only been handbags at dawn, I’d rather avoid that sort of disruptive influence in our squad. 

3 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Hylton got punted from Arbroath following his sending off for fighting his own teammate. While it may have only been handbags at dawn, I’d rather avoid that sort of disruptive influence in our squad. 

He wasn't punted, his contract expired. He was in their starting lineup vs us the next week. I'm sure they'd have loved to have kept him going by accounts from supporters on here but seems he has his eye on full-time football.

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

He was apparently on his way out of Arbroath long before the fecht in the Dunfermline game.

10 hours ago, Ex Machina said:

He wasn't punted, his contract expired. He was in their starting lineup vs us the next week. I'm sure they'd have loved to have kept him going by accounts from supporters on here but seems he has his eye on full-time football.

Both him and Bird haven’t played in the same side since the incident. He played against us the week after because they had no one else. Since Bird came back from his suspension it’s been him that’s played and Hylton has been missing, then all of a sudden they part ways. Is that really a coincidence?

11 hours ago, Been going too long said:

I'd hope he actually quick and not "Ethan Ross" quick. I just don't see us being able to justify another attacking player without letting one go first. 

28 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Both him and Bird haven’t played in the same side since the incident. He played against us the week after because they had no one else. Since Bird came back from his suspension it’s been him that’s played and Hylton has been missing, then all of a sudden they part ways. Is that really a coincidence?

I remember Arbroath fans on here being fairly adamant he'd be away, weeks before all the nastiness.

In terms of Murrayball, I think there is a more of a middle ground to find at times. I don't remember many, if any, instances of it this season where launching long, 60-yard diagonals into the box has resulted in a goal from a knockdown or whatever. But that seemed to be the approach on Saturday and was more akin to last season's efforts.

The numerous late goals we've scored have come from the chaos of having attacking players on the pitch but still playing football to get into the right areas. For example, Jack Hamilton's equaliser at Hampden came from moving the ball around before finding McGill in space on the left to put in a good cross; Stanton's winner against Thistle came from good movement in the inside-right channel for Smith to cut the ball back into a dangerous area; and even Mitchell's equaliser at Firhill on the opening day came from good work by Ross dribbling to the byeline before pulling it across goal.

For me, taking off someone like Mullin when chasing a goal was a mistake as he is one of the players who can deliver a telling, meaningful cross between the defence and keeper that can be attacked. I would rather we brought on just one of Gullan or Smith so that we could keep Mullin on for his crossing - or, if they did both come on, I'd make a more like-for-like change such as Vaughan or Easton coming off. Easton was probably the likelier candidate to be subbed on Saturday as he was running the risk of a red card for a long time.

Still, there was always going to be games like this where we would stumble. No need for the massive over-reactions of some fans on here. Onwards and upwards.

In terms of Murrayball, I think there is a more of a middle ground to find at times. I don't remember many, if any, instances of it this season where launching long, 60-yard diagonals into the box has resulted in a goal from a knockdown or whatever. But that seemed to be the approach on Saturday and was more akin to last season's efforts.

Glad someone has mentioned this, the long direct approach to Jack Hamilton we have been using more since the Ayr game is not working, is very predictable and gives our opponents the ball back without them having to work for it.

Also, I think the main reason for Dylan Easton's dip in form is down to Sam Stanton's absence, they link up very well at times.

8 minutes ago, anonionanawnoo said:

Glad someone has mentioned this, the long direct approach to Jack Hamilton we have been using more since the Ayr game is not working, is very predictable and gives our opponents the ball back without them having to work for it.

Also, I think the main reason for Dylan Easton's dip in form is down to Sam Stanton's absence, they link up very well at times.

I just don’t like the 442, it doesn’t work. When we play a front 3 we have Easton and Connolly further inside where they can be effective. When they are pushed out on the touch line they don’t make much of an impact.

In other news, word on the street is that Vaughan has signed a two year extension!

17 minutes ago, mrraith71 said:

Team predictions for Saturday?

At the moment barring any further injuries/niggles etc, I would say that if fit enough big Kev comes back in as IM has said to the courier and Millen  back after the suspension, then only other decision would be whether it is Connelly or Mullin on the right and that's it.

As long as Watson makes it through training then he will be added to the bench but don't see any other changes.

12 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

At the moment barring any further injuries/niggles etc, I would say that if fit enough big Kev comes back in as IM has said to the courier and Millen  back after the suspension, then only other decision would be whether it is Connelly or Mullin on the right and that's it.

As long as Watson makes it through training then he will be added to the bench but don't see any other changes.

Where do we see Brown? Still at CB when Keith is back? Do we then drop Corr again? When everyone fit it must be a bit of a headache for the gaffer!

13 minutes ago, mrraith71 said:

Where do we see Brown? Still at CB when Keith is back? Do we then drop Corr again? When everyone fit it must be a bit of a headache for the gaffer!

I'd hope back in midfield, rotation with Byrne, Stanton and Turner. As futile as it is trying to guess what happens in the next installment of Murrayball, i'd like to see the following on Saturday.

McNeil, Millen, Watson, Corr, Dick, Brown, Byrne, Turner, Gullan, Smith, Hamilton. Play pretty narrow for Gullan and Smith to play off and around Hamilton and Turner to pull some strings. 

14 minutes ago, mrraith71 said:

Brown will go back into his defensive midfield role when Watson comes back. Corr will play alongside Watson if Euan Murray is out otherwise it will be Murray beside Watson.

The gaffer will always play his most experienced players when fit, Dylan Corr deserves a run in the team for me based on his performance against QP.

2 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

Dylan Corr deserves a run in the team for me based on his performance against QP.

I thought he looked really suspect for the whole game and would expect him to drop out if we have Murray and/or Watson back. Brown plays ahead of him for me.

Opinions eh! 

Edited by Craigus
Typo

5 minutes ago, Craigus said:

I thought he looked really suspect for the whole game and would expect him to drop out if we have Murray and/or Watson back. Brown plays ahead of him for me.

Opinions eh! 

Lol, yeah we all have opinions mate, but funnily I though he had an excellent game but agree with you that he will drop out in favour of Murray and or Watson.

He only got the nod because Euan Murray was out.