The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

Ah, more ‘Best XI’ line-ups with either Vaughan in midfield or dropped altogether for a less-than-prolific striker in Rudden. Dearie me.

Yeah all about opinions but for me, any formation including two upfront has to be Vaughan and Hamilton. Signs of them starting to develop a really good partnership, thought they were both excellent last week.

32 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

Ah, more ‘Best XI’ line-ups with either Vaughan in midfield or dropped altogether for a less-than-prolific striker in Rudden. Dearie me.

You have heard of the word "choice"? Everyone is entitled to there's. People have chosen to not start with Vaughan probably because in his last 6 games he's been pretty crap in 5. Nobody is saying Rudden is better but at the moment my nod would be Hamilton as he's playing well and Rudden because he's fresh and new. My opinion might well change but as it stands, I feel it's a good shout. To me people should be picked on form, not god like status at a club or country. 

I think if we sign rudden then it gives Murray the following-

a player he wants unlike gullan who he shoe horns into the team at times and inherited.

Serious competition for vaughan and Hamilton and hopefully keep them sharp but a better option if not 

I like hammer but we don’t get the best from him but he has never let us down and gives us everything and if he leaves then wish him all the best

33 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Vaughan is our top goal scorer, he doesn't play every week because of a god like status, it's because he's a good player and does that important scoring goals thing. 

I'm not denying he's a good player but at present he isn't playing that well, so I don't see an issue in dropping someone out of form? 

I his last 10 games, he's scored 4, 3 of which were in the one game. 1 in 9 isn't what I'd call prolific and 2 assists in 10. He's off the boil and anyone whose been at the games will testify to that. Sometimes a wee rest and some genuine competition is what players need to push them on. 

Rudden would be a good signing for you guys. He’s not as clinical as either Vaughan or Hamilton, but he’s a complete pain in the arse fir defenders which, I would imagine, will help open up space for whoever he’s playing with to get opportunities. Also, while it’s not really worked out for him in the top flight, he’s definitely proven that’s he’s a good player in the championship.

I hope he doesn’t sign for you, tbh. 

4132 for me.  using what is available now, and assuming we sign Rudden).

Dabrowski

Millen          Watson                Murray              Dick

Byrne

Connolly                                                         Easton

Vaughan

Hamilton                Rudden (if he signs, if not Smith)

Yup, means the captain is dropped for now  but thats also assuming the scarlet pimpernel Watson is back.  Watcon wont last 90 anyway so Broonie can fill in there after Watson comes off.

These links to Rudden are just more proof that the intention is to outscore opponents instead of calmly win games using a tight defence. All for it, though not convinced Rudden is the man to do that. He'll run around and be a pain in the ass to defenders, but then thats what Gullan does. 

A wide man with pace is what we need and some stability in defence, we saw last week the difference between Callum Smith, arguably our quickest player and Jamie Brandon, a run of the mill right back sitting at the bottom of the league that outstripped him for speed time and time again down the line. Having someone that can do that would allow us to stretch the game. 

14 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

4132 for me.  using what is available now, and assuming we sign Rudden).

Dabrowski

Millen          Watson                Murray              Dick

Byrne

Connolly                                                         Easton

Vaughan

Hamilton                Rudden (if he signs, if not Smith)

Yup, means the captain is dropped for now  but thats also assuming the scarlet pimpernel Watson is back.  Watcon wont last 90 anyway so Broonie can fill in there after Watson comes off.

That's an interesting one. No Stanton, No Brown and No Turner. 

I think there's not enough dig in that team in my opinion but like the balls to drop players you feel aren't playing that great at the moment. 

Also by playing Vaughan in with the other two, you have no options to come off the bench if Gullan does go. Smith has been pretty woeful up front but may play well on the left in an attacking 3?

4 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

That's an interesting one. No Stanton, No Brown and No Turner. 

I think there's not enough dig in that team in my opinion but like the balls to drop players you feel aren't playing that great at the moment. 

Also by playing Vaughan in with the other two, you have no options to come off the bench if Gullan does go. Smith has been pretty woeful up front but may play well on the left in an attacking 3?

"using what is available now"

2 hours ago, Rover the Moon said:

Ah, another person moaning about others opinions without providing their own... 

It's not that deep bud, let people have their fun. There is a reason no-one in here is the manager of Raith Rovers 😂

6 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

"using what is available now"

Ahh fair yeah:

I don't think Watson can start, he's a bencher at best I think due to his recovery from injury. If fit the yeah I'd agree that's our strongest back line if playing a back 4, no doubt. 

With the length of time Watson has been out, it'll be like a new signing when he's back. I just wish he'd given Corr a bit more of a chance in his absence. 

One thing is, if we get Rudden, that we will have options all over the park apart from full backs. I'd like to have seen McGill gone in the window and a versatile left/right back come in. Yeah you could say we need a pacey winger but Smith hasn't really been given a chance at left wing, I feel. Right wing we definitely lack pace and I don't like seeing Connolly over there cause he's not the quickest and he always has to cut in.

In some ways we have too many options in midfield with Connolly, Mullin, Easton, Matthews (when fit), Byrne, Brown, Turner, Stanton, Smith, Gullan (where he should be played in my opinion) and McGill. Far too many. I feel this needs stream lined obviously Gullan might be away but I feel a few others could have gone as well? 

4 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

It's not that deep bud, let people have their fun. There is a reason no-one in here is the manager of Raith Rovers 😂

Speak for yourself, I've manged Rovers on Championship Manager and won everything 🤣🤣 

6 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

You post your opinion, someone else posts theirs in response and then you jump down their throat for not being allowed an opinion. Everyone is posting their opinion. That’s the whole point of the forum 😅

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You post your opinion, someone else posts theirs in response and then you jump down their throat for not being allowed an opinion. Everyone is posting their opinion. That’s the whole point of the forum 😅

"jump down their throat" 😂

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah but when giving your opinion maybe back it up as to why you've come to that conclusion, no just have a go at others choices. It's meant to be a chat not a page to ridicule people's suggestions 👍

4 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Yeah but when giving your opinion maybe back it up as to why you've come to that conclusion, no just have a go at others choices. It's meant to be a chat not a page to ridicule people's suggestions 👍

All opinions should be backed up with some sort of supporting evidence really, but even then, that doesn't make it impervious to criticism, comment or even at times ridicule (depending on how ridiculous it is). Just because its someones personal opinion doesn't make it infalable. 

For example, you're of the opinion that Vaughan hasn't been doing well in the last 10 games (4 goals 2 assists) whereas, conversely i'd argue that he's been pretty integral to the side, creating chances for others or himself that haven't gone in. Vaughan is a constant pain to defenders, you'll see him regularly doubled up on, similarly with Easton, just to stop him from doing what we know he can do. So while he's not provided a lot of end product lately, him being in the side makes us overall more difficult to defend against and creates spaces elsewhere for us to try and exploit.

Similarly, Connolly is out and out best placed on the right wing. Cutting inside last season got him double figures in goals and assists for us. This season he's not quite been at that level, but you can see him building back up to it. There is less and less need/desire for those "traditional" wingers these days that get to the goal-line and hit a cross, now the game has thankfully moved on and there is more emphasis on build up and overloading areas. 

Apologies... if that feels like i've just picked on you, thats not the case, but your points were probably the most interesting to respond to overall :D