The New Raith Rovers Thread

18 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We absolutely need to show a ruthless streak and stand on their necks. It’s a shame, as most rate Gayfield as the best day out in the Championship, but if we’re to really contend for the automatic promotion, we have to slaughter them Friday.

Agreed for yous - but also agreed that it's a shame. Many, many folks on here seem to have a soft spot for the LIchties as the Championship's only part-time team whose season has been totally wrecked by injuries. You have to stick the knife in and twist it - but into an opponent who are already mortally wounded and gasping for their last breath. Fitba can sometimes be a cruel, cruel game.

33 minutes ago, TxRover said:

We absolutely need to show a ruthless streak and stand on their necks. It’s a shame, as most rate Gayfield as the best day out in the Championship, but if we’re to really contend for the automatic promotion, we have to slaughter them Friday.

Couldn't give a f**k about Arbroath or having a good day out there. Would rather enjoy a day out in Edinburgh or Aberdeen next season than a trip to gayfield etc tbh. 

We were never, ever in any danger of winning that tonight - so it's a massive point gained.

Morton are in great form so a draw was absolutely fine, but Friday is must win.  Not mathematically, but certainly in terms of momentum.

If or when Dundee United win the league I'd imagine there will be a lot of regret on your part. So many chances to go above them or push on with the lead you had around Christmas, and you always seem to never capitalise on their slip ups. I say this with no malice as I'd actually prefer you guys to go up over them 

6 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If or when Dundee United win the league I'd imagine there will be a lot of regret on your part. So many chances to go above them or push on with the lead you had around Christmas, and you always seem to never capitalise on their slip ups. I say this with no malice as I'd actually prefer you guys to go up over them 

I agree with the point in general, as we dropped a lot of silly points before and after Christmas from winning positions. Last night was a bit different in that we at no point looked like winning that match so to come out of it actually gaining a point seems like a big bonus.

6 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Two weeks ago we were in danger of going 7 points behind them, and are level now. Granted, our head to head with them has kept it more competitive than it might otherwise have been, and that's cancelled out our massive bed wetting in January.

We just have to try keep ticking along for the final 11 games - can see many twists and turns along the way as teams battle to get into and avoid play off spots. 

We have a chance to apply some pressure on Friday night if we can pick up 3 points and United visiting a Partick side who will be looking to put and end to their slump. 

According to DAFC.net, Ross millen has been told to leave rovers. Any truth in this? 

Edited by Wacky
https://dafc.net/forum/read.php?f=1&i=1923808&t=1923808

7 minutes ago, Wacky said:

According to DAFC.net, Ross millen has been told to leave rovers. Any truth in this? 

An article come out the other day but it was a bit misleading - was titled the above, but it more or less said that he wouldn’t be getting a new deal in the summer so free to go. 

However, whatever has happened, if it’s that bad, then I’d have thought we’d maybe have looked to put him out on loan. 

9 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Yes. 

This is about the third time it's been asked about on this thread. 

Since Millen got dropped we've won two and drawn one, while keeping our first clean sheet since Tannadice last night. James Brown has fitted in nicely.

Millen is a solid player for this level. By all accounts he seemed a good member of the squad but nobody is bigger than the team and you're always going to come off worse against a manager on a three year deal m 

1 hour ago, RaithRyan said:

We just have to try keep ticking along for the final 11 games - can see many twists and turns along the way as teams battle to get into and avoid play off spots. 

We have a chance to apply some pressure on Friday night if we can pick up 3 points and United visiting a Partick side who will be looking to put and end to their slump. 

I think there are a few twists to come yet. We both seem to go 5 points clear then the other claws it back. 

This is going to the final day.

Edited by pub car king

We have to do better on Friday night against another team who have a good physical presence and can play to their strengths on their day. They'll also be looking to recover quickly from their Hampden pumping so, in typical Rovers fashion, I can see Arbroath playing out of their skins and we'll have to be good to match them. 

Last night we created absolutely nothing in the second half, not even a single shot. We spent the game aiming for the head of Hamilton and then Rudden and Vaughan, played right into the hands (heads) of Mortons backline who will deal with that every time. Connolly quite probably had his worst game this season, he just looks devoid of form and confidence, a shadow of last seasons player. Hopefully he can find some form in the last part of the season. 

51 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Connolly quite probably had his worst game this season, he just looks devoid of form and confidence, a shadow of last seasons player. Hopefully he can find some form in the last part of the season. 

This is a bit of an elephant in the room for me. He's just not been at it this season at all, his only goals funnily enough were 2 headers and this was a guy wrapping goals in from 20 yards on a regular basis last year. Really goes to show the importance of a full pre season. 

I think Murray changed too much last night but I understand the thinking. Mullin looked a lot more effective when he came on down that side. 

Positives from last night:
Gained points on Partick and Dundee United
Clean Sheet for the first time in what seems like an eternity
Unbeaten in 3

Negatives:
Struggled to breakdown Morton with no real creativity when route 1 to Hamilton wasn't working
Fringe players lacking confidence - Connolly, Smith, Turner, Easton all have the ability to be much better but really struggled again last night
Another failure to capitilise fully on Uniteds slip

7 points from 9 is something I'd have bitten your hand off for before the Utd game so I'm happy with how the last 3 games have been overall. I thought we were lucky to escape with a point last night, Morton had a few chances to snatch that and while they may have some physical elements in their team, our players have been soft against that all season. I think anyone expecting us to go and gub Arbroath on Friday needs to check that a little. 6-0 pumping at QP means they'll be right up for this in front of their own fans. Nothing is more dangerous than a wounded animal and Arbroath are certainly wounded. Hoping we can keep the good run of recent form going.

Ultimately, 11 games left and the league is in our own hands. If we win all 11 remaining, we lift a trophy. I'm not saying it's gonna happen but the fact that we are masters of our own destiny at this stage of the season despite the last couple of months is a miracle in itself. Whatever happens, it's been a helluva first season for the village idiots and long may it continue!

42 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Four out of our next five games are away from home and include Partick,QP and Dundee Utd away on the bounce.Be interesting to see where we are after the next five fixtures

Might not be a bad thing sure when I looked at it recently our away points return is better than the home return.

Massive game on Friday now. 7 points out of 9 is a must in this wee run of games so we need the 3 points up at Arbroath.

Missed the last game up there so looking forward to getting up there.Forecast looks ok as well.They’ll be looking for a reaction after last night and we should be doing likewise as that wasn’t great.

Massive 2 games for United away at Partick (United have looked comfortable against them this season) and Morton. 2 bad results/performances and the fans will really turn on Goodwin.

Do our job on Friday and sit back and see what happens

11 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

You have to stick the knife in and twist it - but into an opponent who are already mortally wounded and gasping for their last breath. Fitba can sometimes be a cruel, cruel game.

And that is exactly what will make them more dangerous, guaranteed they will find that extra 10% against us, they always do. All this talk of hitting them for a hatfull is a nonsense, I'll take another one goal win, secure the points and give the guys a couple of days off before we smash the pars.