The New Raith Rovers Thread

I think the criticism of Murray is harsh. First time I've seen them and Raith looked good in the first half - a well oiled machine and in the second half, being a goal up the obvious play is to play more on the counter - that's where your 2nd goal came from along with one or two other chances. So it was pretty much textbook.

Arbroath's goal doesn't change anything tactically, it's a worldy - a goal out of nothing really and the manager's tactics weren't the cause. Raith were just unlucky in my opinion. The game got frantic towards the end as is normal and maybe the game management towards the end could have been better, but the reality is a worldy and a goalkeeping mistake cost you three points not the gaffer.

I think you play that game 10 times with the same approach and probably win it 7 or 8 times. 

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Dabrowski isn't good enough at this stage of his career, if we want to challenge at this end of the league.  Not saying he won't or can't improve, but he's cost us at least 3 goals directly from absolute howlers this season - can't challenge for promotion with that. 

We are challenging at the top end of the league and for promotion with Dabrowski though. Let's not forget the number of points he's gained or retained for us all season with some fantastic performances, specifically against Dundee United in the last two games against them.

Yesterday highlighted some of the worst defending we've had in a while. Every clearance was either lumped back to Arbroath or mistimed and dropped at an Arbroath foot because they were mobile while we stood around and watched. Tired of watching Murray try and make every header he gets be a contender for longest distance covered when there are options around him for a controlled touch instead. Brown was a shocker at the back last night, as was the other one too. Being a midfielder in defence is no excuse for not doing the basics properly, that's not something unique to a "by trade" defender. The absolute lack of composure under pressure was ridiculous, it was a case of "get the ball away from me, someone else can deal with it" which for a team at any professional level is weak. Watson is the voice of reason in there and it's very visible when he's not around. 

Our defensive unit is a mess, but it's further compounded by a poor midfield unit that is stretched because of our setup. Far too much space in the middle of the park again and Matthews was hindered early on by a soft booking which meant he couldn't put himself about as much as needed.  

It’s difficult to have much confidence in the ability of this team to win a league title when you see performances like that one last night.

The centre half issues seem to have dogged us for a while now. Not sure how we resolve that in time to save the season. Folk saying play Corr, which on the face of it makes sense, but the manager sees him in training and he isn’t making that call.

Anyway, what can you do? Hopefully Partick Thistle can take something off United today, but I seem to recall they lost 5-0 last time United visited.

I hate football.

Kev made a mess of the second goal no doubt, but you could argue again the full backs have played a part in us losing goals yet again. Yesterday, Liam Dick stands completely still for the first goal. There was no player for him track so he should he have been running to close down too and put his body on the line. Might have made no difference, but it was a lack of awareness again. Third goal we have plenty of chances to clear it and fail to do so then James Brown can’t hold a line with his defence and plays the guy (probably) on side. He is looking right across the line and takes a step FURTHER BACK. Poor stuff. 

On top of the regular defensive mistakes, these two offer absolutely zero in terms of overlap or extra pressure to kill a game off.

Put it this way, can you imagine either of them keeping their contract or going to a higher placed team next season? A key area of recruitment in the summer no matter where we end up in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

We are challenging at the top end of the league and for promotion with Dabrowski though. Let's not forget the number of points he's gained or retained for us all season with some fantastic performances, specifically against Dundee United in the last two games against them.

Yesterday highlighted some of the worst defending we've had in a while. Every clearance was either lumped back to Arbroath or mistimed and dropped at an Arbroath foot because they were mobile while we stood around and watched. Tired of watching Murray try and make every header he gets be a contender for longest distance covered when there are options around him for a controlled touch instead. Brown was a shocker at the back last night, as was the other one too. Being a midfielder in defence is no excuse for not doing the basics properly, that's not something unique to a "by trade" defender. The absolute lack of composure under pressure was ridiculous, it was a case of "get the ball away from me, someone else can deal with it" which for a team at any professional level is weak. Watson is the voice of reason in there and it's very visible when he's not around. 

Our defensive unit is a mess, but it's further compounded by a poor midfield unit that is stretched because of our setup. Far too much space in the middle of the park again and Matthews was hindered early on by a soft booking which meant he couldn't put himself about as much as needed.  

Aye, I'm probably being a bit harsh, and I absolutely agree that the whole defensive set up cost us last night - I just don't feel there's a great deal of confidence between keeper and defence and think that goes both ways.  

7 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

It’s a shame it looks as though there’s no chance of a resolution between Murray and Millen. It’s a bit of an elephant in the room but James Brown doesn’t look up to it.

Based on what? He has played 4 games IIRC, won two, drawn one and last nights capitulation which no one came out of looking good.

15 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

It’s a shame it looks as though there’s no chance of a resolution between Murray and Millen. It’s a bit of an elephant in the room but James Brown doesn’t look up to it.

I don't think he's any worse defensively than millen is. He doesn't offer the same going forward but the big difference last night was Watson getting injured. Any chance at winning the league depends on keeping him fit which seems pretty unlikely considering the season he's had. 

Don't think that Brown looks any worse or better than Millen, and won't be the deciding factor that makes or breaks the season.  He can do a job I'm sure.

The biggest factor now is that we have a backline full of players who can do a job but not much more, as opposed to anyone particularly commanding - assuming Watson is out for a couple of games.  You've got an average defence, being helped out by a side that's generally skewed towards attacking players.  It's no real surprise we struggle defensively when our only commanding defenders are out.  That's also where you need a commanding keeper who can deal with cross balls effectively.  It's not all down to one area, but so much lies on having strong centre backs- you can get away with these other areas with that, but take that away and it just signs a massive burning spotlight on every other defensive weakness.

My issue with Corr not playing is not so much down to thinking he's the answer as such, but more so that taking Brown out of the midfield really harms us in my opinion. 

Really dissapointing to go from having signed Ashcroft, to this, in about 10 days.  But very,  very Rovers. 

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Aye, I'm probably being a bit harsh, and I absolutely agree that the whole defensive set up cost us last night - I just don't feel there's a great deal of confidence between keeper and defence and think that goes both ways.  

I don't disagree with you, the confidence isn't there, but I think a lot of that is borne out of the system and the pressure it puts our defence under more often than not too. 10 games to go, we're not out of this at all, we are arguably much further on than most people probably expected, certainly at the start of the season we would have been happy with fourth. Got to regroup and push on.

I am a big fan of Kev. He has pulled off some good saves his enthusiasm for the club has been brilliant. But, last night he was completely at fault for the second goal. When that ball gets crossed in, he comes out and just stands, if you are going to do that, then surely you have a quick look around you to make sure there is no threat coming in, but he doesn’t. Fair play to Mcintosh for following it in, but kev has to be more pro active there.

3 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Dabrowski isn't good enough at this stage of his career, if we want to challenge at this end of the league.  Not saying he won't or can't improve, but he's cost us at least 3 goals directly from absolute howlers this season - can't challenge for promotion with that. 

I wouldn't say that, it's like with any younger player you decide to go with, they're more liable to make mistakes and you need to accept that comes with it.  Obviously being a keeper if Kev makes a mistake it's more than likely going to result in a goal and he's got some big weak points like his kicking and his habit of wanting to punch rather than catch crosses, which wouldn't be a big issue except that he's not really all that good at the punching part of it.   But his weak points can be improved upon, what's really not helping him is our so called defence in front of him.  

A solid defence in front of him and while he'd still make the odd mistake that would cost a goal, it wouldn't be a huge issue.  But at the moment we've got a young keeper who'll make the odd mistake plus a defence that seems to spend at least 20 minutes in every single game completely forgetting how to defend and just shipping goals.  It's not a great combination.  I don't think changing keepers is going to make much difference, McNeil is also young so is just as liable to make mistakes which would cost us a goal and neither McNeil or Robbie going to be able to suddenly turn our defence into a solid unit, which is the biggest issue.

We were probably never going to win the league with our back line. The Ashcroft injury is a huge blow as he might have added some quality and stability in there, but the rest just aren’t strong enough. The fact we’ve conceded more goals than the teams in 8th/9th says it all. You can blame systems or players further up but a lot of it is on the quality of the defense. 

At this stage of his career Watson was always going to be hard to keep fit for consistent periods so even though he’s solid when playing the length of time he’s been out makes him a poor signing. Murray also wouldn’t feature in a Championship best centre half’s list. And Millen/J Brown/Dick are pretty bang average too. Big Kev has been brilliant at times and a car crash at others. 

The reality is that we had an incredible first half of the season which has put us in an incredible position. Since Tannadice we’ve reverted to what we probably all expected at the start of the season - an average or slightly above average Championship team. Hard to get too annoyed about that. It’s only the raised expectations from the first half of the season that’s making things feel much worse.
Edited by FitbaSupporter

19 minutes ago, SanStarko said:

I wouldn't say that, it's like with any younger player you decide to go with, they're more liable to make mistakes and you need to accept that comes with it.  Obviously being a keeper if Kev makes a mistake it's more than likely going to result in a goal and he's got some big weak points like his kicking and his habit of wanting to punch rather than catch crosses, which wouldn't be a big issue except that he's not really all that good at the punching part of it.   

He’s 25, the same age as the United keeper, wouldn’t say he’s a younger player.

I've got to be honest, I don't think I'd be looking at the standard of player we've been able to bring in, and say that we should be any lower than 2nd or 3rd.  The run since the win at Tannadice,  considering the amount of points they've dropped themselves,  has certainly been poorer than average.  

It's been done to death by everyman and his dog but it's all about the defence yet again. Watson has manged to injure himself jumping for a header (he should have scored) and we've lost the organisation at the back. 

Look who knows what will happen this season, Dundee United seem equally as keen to throw away any possible advantage. 

That said whatever happens whatever league we end up in it is a complete rebuild at the back. 

We need at least 1 new RB and at least 3 new CB that are experienced and capable of holding a line and marking runners. Watson has done well when he plays but he's played in average every 3rd/4th league game and I'd injured again. 

Murray has not given a good account of himself which has been covered in part by playing with Watson. 

We have no right back to speak of after May. 

Dick is average at best. 

Masson and Corr without slagging them off serve no purpose. Murray will not play them and will move on. 

10 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Since Tannadice we’ve reverted to what we probably all expected at the start of the season - an average or slightly above average Championship team

I think we are better than that in some areas and worse in others. Our attacking players are very good for this level. However our defence is a mess and last night showed a poor mentality to see out a game. 

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I think we are better than that in some areas and worse in others. Our attacking players are very good for this level. However our defence is a mess and last night showed a poor mentality to see out a game. 

This is pretty much spot on. Keep our attacking options and strengthen the defence for next season. With a better mentality and less tinkering week to week. 

We have no leader or or organiser on the park, and after this latest kick in the teeth, I'm beginning to wonder if theres one off the park, sure we're in the top 4 with a slim chance of progressing through the play-offs, but if last nights game is replicated from here on in we might not even make that target.