The New Raith Rovers Thread

33 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Agreed. Only interest I’ve got with them for remainder of the season is if they can grab any point against DU.

Glad I went to the game last night. It wasn’t high on quality not helped by the pitch. Result could’ve went either way but we had a couple of chances that really should’ve been buried.

Two clean sheets on the spin and Ross Matthews has to get the nod to start for me now.

I mentioned this Hibs testimonial to a few boys and all agree it’s mental timing. It’s surely going to be nothing more than an exhibition match with no slide tackles and studs down at all times. Vaughan absolutely deserves it but if I was a player I’d rather come on for a 10 min cameo and get myself off.

Club should’ve organised his testimonial to be away to Las Palmas 🙂

It’s like if they lose to DU they’ll be dragged down and have to fight for their lives. Although I can’t see Hamilton Accies being much of a threat. The most pleasing aspect of last night was seeing Matthews back and fit.

11 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Ticket sales for Vaughans testimonial don't look great, home or away. Hopefully we can get a good crowd there, the lad deserves it, but it is mental that its midweek, mid season.

It’s not even mid season though..it’s literally the run in! I do hope though as you say he gets a decent turnout.

We just need to keep it going and keep the pressure on DU. Goodwin isn’t known for doing well in pressure situations so if they win the league we need to make them earn it.

QP up next which will be another tough one but they all are at this stage. Hopefully we keep the ball down and let our attacking players do their thing on a big Hampden pitch.

17 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Ticket sales for Vaughans testimonial don't look great, home or away. Hopefully we can get a good crowd there, the lad deserves it, but it is mental that its midweek, mid season.

Perhaps due to potential glamour friendly in Europe, there are a lack of available dates.

I would doubt the organisers had this date as their first choice

4 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Perhaps due to potential glamour friendly in Europe, there are a lack of available dates.

I would doubt the organisers had this date as their first choice

No probably not, but given that it has been the chosen date, I hope we can get a considerable number of people to go to it. Though regarding the Euro glamour friendly, that wouldn't be any time before the league cup group stage as Spanish sides don't tend to start pre season until July. I wouldn't be surprised if our talks with the SPFL are around giving us a free weekend at the end of the group stage or potentially postponing a league game (a la Rangers/Celtic tended to do historically)

5 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No probably not, but given that it has been the chosen date, I hope we can get a considerable number of people to go to it. Though regarding the Euro glamour friendly, that wouldn't be any time before the league cup group stage as Spanish sides don't tend to start pre season until July. I wouldn't be surprised if our talks with the SPFL are around giving us a free weekend at the end of the group stage or potentially postponing a league game (a la Rangers/Celtic tended to do historically)

I totally understand why the prices are what they are, and I think nobody would deny Lewis deserves a packed Starks Park. The issue I have is it is quite a lot of money for what is essentially a bounce game. We have a lot of season ticket holders - so something like 50% off for ST holders would have made more sense to me than simply them not being valid.

Money is tight. Football is too expensive as it is. And as much as I absolutely adore Lewis, I would much rather skip his testimonial and go to the United away game instead.

Now... here is an idea. Free coach travel to Tannadice on purchase of a LV Testimonial ticket....! Mr. Barrowman, are you listening?

I agree with everything being said about the timing of the game and the pressure it will put on already stretched finances.

However, Lewis Vaughan deserves every Rovers fan who is capable of being there to buy a ticket and get there. f**k, even if you can't make it, just buy a ticket anyway.

The sacrifice and effort this boy has made to become a Rovers legend deserves every one of us to purchase a ticket regardless of how shite, meaningless and poorly timed the occasion might be. 

5 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

The sacrifice and effort this boy has made to become a Rovers legend deserves every one of us to purchase a ticket regardless of how shite, meaningless and poorly timed the occasion might be. 

Whilst I 100% agree that he is a fantastic servant of the club... I will point out he  is paid to play football, and paid pretty well. I'm sure he is actually paid more than may of us.

12 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

Whilst I 100% agree that he is a fantastic servant of the club... I will point out he  is paid to play football, and paid pretty well. I'm sure he is actually paid more than may of us.

I really hope that isn't that attitude of too many Rovers fans....

Just now, Double Jack D said:

I really hope that isn't that attitude of too many Rovers fans....

My response may have been poorly worded an blunt, however, it was in response to @Double Jack D . I stand my assertion that he has been an absolutely wonderful servant to the club, he is a great lad too and I do believe he is fully deserving of his testimonial. I do, however, push back on @Double Jack D's statement that even if you finances are stretched, you should buy a ticket whether or not you are going to make it.

So, to rephrase... yes Lewis is a great player. I would go as far to say that anyone wanting to make it in football should look to him as a role model - he is the type of player to emulate, not the 'superstars' in the Premier. He is, however, doing his job which he is paid to do. He does it exceptionally well... but the "sacrifice and effort" he puts in are not unrewarded. He is 100% deserving of a testimonial, but people should not be encouraged to get themselves into financial issues because of it. I believe the match should have made financially more accessible.

8 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

My response may have been poorly worded an blunt, however, it was in response to @Double Jack D . I stand my assertion that he has been an absolutely wonderful servant to the club, he is a great lad too and I do believe he is fully deserving of his testimonial. I do, however, push back on @Double Jack D's statement that even if you finances are stretched, you should buy a ticket whether or not you are going to make it.

So, to rephrase... yes Lewis is a great player. I would go as far to say that anyone wanting to make it in football should look to him as a role model - he is the type of player to emulate, not the 'superstars' in the Premier. He is, however, doing his job which he is paid to do. He does it exceptionally well... but the "sacrifice and effort" he puts in are not unrewarded. He is 100% deserving of a testimonial, but people should not be encouraged to get themselves into financial issues because of it. I believe the match should have made financially more accessible.

Chris.  Testimonials were brought in because unlike other paid forms of work, a footballer is pretty much forced into retirement in their mid Thirties.  Most of the rest of us can work on into our sixties and seventies.  So it was a small attempt at giving the player a wee financial boost for the rest of his life.  The fact he gets paid for what he does is quite frankly neither here nor there.  We are giving the man an extra thanks for his efforts in the club we all love, and Vaughan I think deserves this more than most.

1 hour ago, chris1883 said:

Now... here is an idea. Free coach travel to Tannadice on purchase of a LV Testimonial ticket....! Mr. Barrowman, are you listening?

Good idea in principle however I'd be surprised if the club aren't already considering doing what they done for the December game and organising coaches for fans to get up to Tannadice. 

1 hour ago, chris1883 said:

Certainly paid more than you I'd imagine.

We should have played this game in pre season to honour a player of his quality rather than keeping dates aside for a potentially pointless trip to Las Palmas. What exactly will the club gain from it? A few shirt sales? It’ll cost us thousands!

4 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Agreed. Only interest I’ve got with them for remainder of the season is if they can grab any point against DU.

Glad I went to the game last night. It wasn’t high on quality not helped by the pitch. Result could’ve went either way but we had a couple of chances that really should’ve been buried.

Two clean sheets on the spin and Ross Matthews has to get the nod to start for me now.

I mentioned this Hibs testimonial to a few boys and all agree it’s mental timing. It’s surely going to be nothing more than an exhibition match with no slide tackles and studs down at all times. Vaughan absolutely deserves it but if I was a player I’d rather come on for a 10 min cameo and get myself off.

Club should’ve organised his testimonial to be away to Las Palmas 🙂

First paragraph, Pars related. Obsessed, like a number of Rovers fans 😆