The New Raith Rovers Thread

4 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Ticket sales for Vaughans testimonial don't look great, home or away. Hopefully we can get a good crowd there, the lad deserves it, but it is mental that its midweek, mid season.

I’ll be going but since I’ve got a season ticket unless I need to I don’t usually buy match tickets until a day or 2 before hand. 

1 hour ago, North West said:

First paragraph, Pars related. Obsessed, like a number of Rovers fans 😆 

Odd guy.

Obsessed is a phrase a teenage boy would use. 
Have I enjoyed reviewing your fans reaction to 5 derby defeats in a row - absolutely. The meltdowns on Twitter and .net gave me a good ol chortle and have done with the volume of defeats you guys are racking up.

I also enjoy your league position, the points gap, your recent accounts and Mehmet.

I’ve moved on now however, the Dunfermline carcass has been picked bare.

They way some of your lads go on you’d think there was something or anything for that matter positive going on with your club. Unfortunately, there is not.

Good luck Friday, I’ll be rooting for you 🤞🏻

1 hour ago, North West said:

First paragraph, Pars related. Obsessed, like a number of Rovers fans 😆 

Openly admit I am pretty obsessed about beating and being better than the Pars. That is what rivalries are all about is it not?

So yes, amongst my celebrations at last nights scrappy 1-0 win against a team that is not Dunfermline I did note that, with 8 games remaining, it is now mathematically confirmed that we will be the top team in Fife for the 4th season in a row.

8 games!

2 hours ago, Jilted John said:

We should have played this game in pre season to honour a player of his quality rather than keeping dates aside for a potentially pointless trip to Las Palmas. What exactly will the club gain from it? A few shirt sales? It’ll cost us thousands!

I am looking forward to the game(s) against Las Palmas (and possibly Tenerife).  Its a rare opportunity to watch our side play top level (La Liga) European sides away from home, in the sunshine.  I had the opportunity when I went to the Faroes and Germany (missed Akranes away as it came along to quick).  Now its my kids/grandkids turn.  Not the UEFA cup of course, but as close as we will ever likely get again!

Much more glamourous than Hibs any day.  I will still be there for that game of course.

4 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

I am looking forward to the game(s) against Las Palmas (and possibly Tenerife).  Its a rare opportunity to watch our side play top level (La Liga) European sides away from home, in the sunshine.  I had the opportunity when I went to the Faroes and Germany (missed Akranes away as it came along to quick).  Now its my kids/grandkids turn.  Not the UEFA cup of course, but as close as we will ever likely get again!

Much more glamourous than Hibs any day.  I will still be there for that game of course.

I don’t disagree with any of the points you made, I just think don’t think we gain anything from it, other than an expensive jolly for the club. It’ll almost certainly be at the expense of a better crowd/game for a club legend that’s all.

11 hours ago, jasperellon said:

I wish every away side brought a small support of roughly 2000!

But not every club is the size of Dunfermline, if you listen to some of their fans they're fucking huge. The just constantly finish second to Raith.

Based on nothing at all, I’m not convinced there’ll be any game against Las Palmas.

Nice wee bit of PR between the clubs earlier in the season & a nice wee buzz around the away kit launch but I just cannot see a La Liga side going out of their way to arrange said friendly.

39 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Great to see us start to grind wins out.  Rode our luck a wee bit, but at the same time defended really well.  

Great to have Matthews back.

3 clean sheets in the last 4 now. Apart from that inexplicable 20 minutes at Arbroath we're looking much more solid. Albeit that's at the expense of some attacking threat. 

9 hours ago, raith1974 said:

But not every club is the size of Dunfermline, if you listen to some of their fans they're fucking huge. The just constantly finish second to Raith.

Jealous of our hugeness compared to your weeness. Understandable.

Whilst we’re still firmly second favourites to win the league I’ve just realised the perverse footballing gods could have something in store if we win.

Dundee Utd vs Aberdeen playoff final and Goodwin returning to his former club.

I know Sevco, Hearts, Hibs and DU have had spells in the Championship but there’s something wild about the thought of Dons playing Championship football to me. 

21 hours ago, Jilted John said:

I don’t disagree with any of the points you made, I just think don’t think we gain anything from it, other than an expensive jolly for the club. It’ll almost certainly be at the expense of a better crowd/game for a club legend that’s all.

Potentially blossoming connection with a La Liga side, and the possibilities of up and coming Tony Calderons or Paquitos coming our way for loans......
The board have also stated previously it (the game) will happen.

Edited by Heid_The_Baw

2 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Potentially blossoming connection with a La Liga side, and the possibilities of up and coming Tony Calderons or Paquitos coming our way for loans......
The board have also stated previously it (the game) will happen.

I think it's great for the club, and I don't think the logistics will be too difficult. It'll be more costly than a trip to Dunbar, but if we get promoted it wouldn't be the most outrageous thing. I suspect it's more on our side (funnily enough, Las Palmas seem quite keen to try to exploit the canary yellow link to Norwich) than the other, but there's definitely still really solid ties there given Paquito's reputation.

Zero chance we'll get loanees in off the back of it. Brexit has put paid to that one. The clubs would need to figure out work permits for players who would be going on loan to a club who are probably at a similar level to a third or fourth tier club in Spain. 

It's a nice wee connection to have though - it's generated a wee bit of interest over there which will have been helped by us doing well. We've done really well from the back of it though - our neeburs along the road have had owners desperately trying to tie themselves into St Pauli over the last few seasons. Theirs comes across as forced, ours has been totally natural.