The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Wish somebody had asked about a reserve side being formed.  My opinion is that it is a crucial aspect for a club going forward towards the Prem.  Gets injured players match fit and keeps the sqad players fit at the same time.  Can also bleed through some decent young players again and maybe get the next Crawford, Cameron and Dairs coming through.
I know academy was mentioned but thats not the same thing.

The SPFL Reserve League looks like a complete waste of time. There's only nine teams in it and they play each other once. 

I can't imagine there's that much extra benefit to participating in that, compared to just playing sporadic bounce games to give fringe players game time or get injured players back up to speed. 

7 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

As for the other loan signings, Turner has only had a handful of good games for us, although in his defence, I’m not sure we’ve used him where he’s most effective, and ultimately, I’m not entirely sure why we brought him in in the first place  

I'd agree with that. Looking back on it now, it wasn't long after Sam Stanton got injured that we set the wheels in motion to bring Turner in, at a point where we didn't really know how long Stanton would be out for or how long it would take him to get back to full fitness. The expectation, to me at least, seemed to be that Turner would be a like-for-like replacement for Stanton. Stanton then made a much faster and fuller recovery than expected, which kind of left Turner surplus to requirements or having to play out of his most effective position.

We've definitely seen flickers and flashes of what a good player Kyle Turner can be, but it does feel like we're having to shoehorn him into the team a lot of the time.

4 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Wish somebody had asked about a reserve side being formed.  My opinion is that it is a crucial aspect for a club going forward towards the Prem.  Gets injured players match fit and keeps the sqad players fit at the same time.  Can also bleed through some decent young players again and maybe get the next Crawford, Cameron and Dairs coming through.
I know academy was mentioned but thats not the same thing.

I submitted exactly that question. It wasn’t selected for the first portion of the session, and the one version that was selected was answered without addressing or touching upon a reserve side by Potter, and without Barrowman stepping in to mention it. As such, I didn’t think they’d add much, if anything, to it being asked again.

4 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Thats a good point, surprised it wasn't mentioned either. 

2 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

The SPFL Reserve League looks like a complete waste of time. There's only nine teams in it and they play each other once. 

I can't imagine there's that much extra benefit to participating in that, compared to just playing sporadic bounce games to give fringe players game time or get injured players back up to speed. 

There was also the discussion last year about bringing a side into the Reserve League for this season, and by the beginning of this season it was openly said that we had declined to enter a side this season (as it was “too soon”) and were unlikely to enter one for 2024-2025.

Since I only had one question I could ask, I elected to re-ask the question on teams they looked to for inspiration that they had ducked earlier. I think Barrowman and Potter’s answers were interesting, in that they clearly show the Board and Staff is genuinely focused on reaching top six as a medium-term goal.

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I submitted exactly that question. It wasn’t selected for the first portion of the session, and the one version that was selected was answered without addressing or touching upon a reserve side by Potter, and without Barrowman stepping in to mention it. As such, I didn’t think they’d add much, if anything, to it being asked again.

TBF I think that may have been the question where Andy unmuted himself to follow on from John's initial answer but Niall moved on to the next question without giving him a chance.

Edited to add: that wasn't a dig at Niall btw just an observation.  Thought Niall did a great job.

Edited by AllanJM

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Since I only had one question I could ask, I elected to re-ask the question on teams they looked to for inspiration that they had ducked earlier. I think Barrowman and Potter’s answers were interesting, in that they clearly show the Board and Staff is genuinely focused on reaching top six as a medium-term goal.

Clearly not Richard Cook 

7 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

Some folk getting very precious over a question which was quite clearly delivered as (and received by the panelists) a piss take, used in an attempt to lighten the mood from debates about cladding, multiple questions about the railway stand and Fife Council planning regulations 🤦‍♂️

If that’s in reference to the Liam Dick comment I made, it was very much tongue in cheek from me. I know it came from Mr Meldrum, the chairman of the LD Supporters Club. I was having a sly dig at him rather than a genuine moan.

15 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

If that’s in reference to the Liam Dick comment I made, it was very much tongue in cheek from me. I know it came from Mr Meldrum, the chairman of the LD Supporters Club. I was having a sly dig at him rather than a genuine moan.

In fairness, these types of question really highlight how far we've come as a club.  If we'd done one of these 2 years ago, can you imagine the questions they would've been asked?????

The fact that things are going well and supporters are able to use their one chance on a question like this speaks volumes.

There were a few moments from the Q&A watch stood out. I think it might have been beneficial to split it into a footballing Q&A and a commercial one - I was quite surprised so many of the questions involved the commercial aspects given that 3/4 of the panel played professionally but you'll always have different viewpoints.

While someone might be keen in getting pet supplies in the door, I'm far more interested if we might get a chance of Lee Ashcroft rocking back up to help our backline in the playoffs. I'd have been interested to hear a bit more about their experiences as ex players and how the modern game is changing, but I'm sure there'll be other chances in the future.

I think the main thing is that there's a degree of transparency from the club as AllanJM mentioned.  A lot of the information was detailed in the AGM, but this offers them a bit of a chance to relay updates further. 

As with anything, the club will have taken quite a lot of learns from it. They've marshalled it well and answered most of the larger points without getting into "Where Ross Millen go?". 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

There were a few moments from the Q&A watch stood out. I think it might have been beneficial to split it into a footballing Q&A and a commercial one - I was quite surprised so many of the questions involved the commercial aspects given that 3/4 of the panel played professionally but you'll always have different viewpoints.

While someone might be keen in getting pet supplies in the door, I'm far more interested if we might get a chance of Lee Ashcroft rocking back up to help our backline in the playoffs. I'd have been interested to hear a bit more about their experiences as ex players and how the modern game is changing, but I'm sure there'll be other chances in the future.

I think the main thing is that there's a degree of transparency from the club as AllanJM mentioned.  A lot of the information was detailed in the AGM, but this offers them a bit of a chance to relay updates further. 

As with anything, the club will have taken quite a lot of learns from it. They've marshalled it well and answered most of the larger points without getting into "Where Ross Millen go?". 

I'd be surprised if they didn't have any questions submitted about Millen to be honest.  I'm sure Niall just chose not to ask them.  He was also clearly ready with the mute button on the second part like when he muted the guy while Ian Murray did his best to politely answer the question about subs (a fairly ridiculous one considering we've made subs ad HT in our last 2 games).

I asked the very biege question about cladding, renovations and snack bar building. 

These are all things that were getting a lot of fanfare when the new board took over but had gone very quiet. For me there's no other real opportunity to get something like that answered short of a lengthy interview with Barrowman and we should always ask questions of ambitious plans. 

For what it's worth I think the new regime have done an excellent job in such a short period of time. I'm more than happy to give the club my modest amount every month and although its a glorified donation I do feel as a member I get recognition from the club . 

15 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

I'd be surprised if they didn't have any questions submitted about Millen to be honest.  I'm sure Niall just chose not to ask them.  He was also clearly ready with the mute button on the second part like when he muted the guy while Ian Murray did his best to politely answer the question about subs (a fairly ridiculous one considering we've made subs ad HT in our last 2 games).

Absolutely. They'll have had questions about Millen but understandably not brought them. It wouldn't offer any benefit to have them, for us or Millen.

I did enjoy the Paxman-esque grilling of one person who asked "do you *really* think this squad is good enough to get promoted?" only for Potter to ask the question back to them after Murray had answered. 

One thing to say in credit to Niall is that he did mention he'd missed off Carol's question about the fans rep on the board. I can't recall the specifics of the answer, but it was at least good to hear it acknowledged. 

Does anyone have any idea when the play-off dates are normally announced? I notice the play-off final dates are already on the SPFL website but no mention of the earlier rounds yet. 

We can hazard a good guess on the weeks they will fall, but be good to get confirmation. 

1 hour ago, ComeOnYouRaith said:

Does anyone have any idea when the play-off dates are normally announced? I notice the play-off final dates are already on the SPFL website. 

If Aberdeen beat Celtic in the cup semi this Saturday then our playoff final against them will get moved anyway as they won't have them playing us at Pittodrie the day after the Scottish Cup Final.

17 hours ago, ComeOnYouRaith said:

Does anyone have any idea when the play-off dates are normally announced? I notice the play-off final dates are already on the SPFL website but no mention of the earlier rounds yet. 

We can hazard a good guess on the weeks they will fall, but be good to get confirmation. 

They were announced on 3rd May last year so would expect confirmation in the next couple of weeks.

My guess would be:

QF - Tuesday 7/5 and Friday 10/5

SF - Tuesday 14/5 and Friday 17/5

Final - Thursday 23/5 and Sunday 26/5

Above assumes Aberdeen lose the Scottish Cup SF on Sunday.

If Aberdeen win:

SF - Friday 17/5 and Friday 24/5

Final - Thursday 30/5 and Sunday 2/6

The semi-final was Friday/Friday last year but I think that was a result of the late finish in the Premiership due to the world cup break.

It's been a while since we had such an unappealing league game. 

Away on a Friday night to fucking Inverness, where we have nothing to gain and plenty to lose (inevitable injury)