The New Raith Rovers Thread

He's also great at throwing away possession and charging out of position.

There'll be a few midfielders released. Ferry seems a cert to go given his lack of opportunities, whilst Simmons and Sloan haven't had the best of it either. Not sure if Walker will stay, but he's been our best midfielder so far, IMO.

Also: Tadé & Darren Smith are signed for another season, IIRC.

No idea about: Hill, McGurn, Campbell, Ellis or Weir

As far as I can tell, John McGlynn's contract runs out in mid-2010.

Weir is signed until 2011. Cripes.

Craig Wilson is signed up until 2011, too.

Mark Campbell, Robert Sloan, Gary O’Connor and Stephen Simmons all signed new deals before the start of the season, and I imagine they were all 2 year deals, with the exception of Gary O. Maybe Sloan only got a year too, but I wouldn't think so.

:(

I'm kinda hoping a few of them were only given one year contracts, to be honest.

Well, as you well know, the official site is frugal with its details, but Weiry is one of the few who I can find a definite date for.

The information on the majority of the squad amounts to this, from May:

"David McGurn, Craig Wilson, Laurie Ellis, Iain Davidson, Mark Ferry, Allan Walker and Graham Weir are all under contract for next season and Mark Campbell, Robert Sloan, Gary O’Connor and Stephen Simmons have also re-signed."

Today's game being off is a real shiter for us. Kevin Smith is getting less and less game time to make an impact, and I fear that we won't get him back after Christmas if Craig Levein leaves United for Scotland, as looks likely.

A new manager coming in isn't likely to start sending players back out on loan immediately, if at all.

Right then, can I be the first to say that this January's big transfer rumour, as far as the Rovers are concerned, is going to be Rory McAllister joining from Brechin?

He's scored ten goals in 16 league games, as well as 3 goals in the 2 cup games he's played in (both against Elgin).

Now, with goalscoring stats like that, he'll attract interest from more than little old us. However, I think he's working part-time as a plumber up in the Brechin area, so he could carry that on while playing for us, if he isn't eager to return to full-time football.

My reasoning behind why I think we'll take an interest is based on Craig Levein taking the Scotland boss, and the Dundee United manager not being overly keen on having his squad loaned out all over the place, so we'll be without Smith.

Now, obviously, McAllister has a contract with Brechin, but I imagine they'll already be resigned to losing him by the end of the year. I don't know if there's any possibility of scraping together funds, but if there is then I can see John McGlynn being keen on trying to persuade Brechin to take what money they can.

First I've heard of it. If true, could this be a sign that:

a) Kevin Smith is going back to Dundee United in January?

b) John McGlynn has given up on employing Gregory Tade as a striker?

c) Javier Amaya might not staying on?

d) John McGlynn feels Graham Weir should be no more than a bit-part player?

PCA at best. That's obviously providing McAlister's contract is up at the end of the season. I seriously doubt we can afford a transfer fee.

Russell will return to Dundee United, along with Cameron. Smith may, or may not extend his loan. McGlynn said that we can't maintain the current squad size, so I doubt we'll be bringing in anyone new, unless we move a couple of our players on.

Apparently Amaya and Gathuessi are only on short-term contracts too... I think it's safe to say we really need to beat Airdrie and hope for a decent cup draw if we're to have any finances to keep players, let alone bring them in.

First I've heard of it. If true, could this be a sign that:

a) Kevin Smith is going back to Dundee United in January?

b) John McGlynn has given up on employing Gregory Tade as a striker?

c) Javier Amaya might not staying on?

d) John McGlynn feels Graham Weir should be no more than a bit-part player?

Because I only just thought it up. It's pure conjecture.

I was considering it because I feel that the squad needs to have one proper goalscoring out-and-out striker. At the moment, that is Kevin Smith. If he is no longer at the club, the best replacement I can see would be McAllister.

I would agree with Michael though that the finances make it highly unlikely. For a start, I think it's highly unlikely that Brechin will let him go in January - selling him would crush their promotion hopes. I think they'd rather keep him and sacrifice any transfer fee, in the hope of finishing high up the league. Also, we're rookit.

If he does survive past January at Brechin, and we aren't relegated at the end of the season, and they aren't promoted, then it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him at Stark's Park next season. Although, if he keeps up his current form throughout the whole season then I could see Ross County/QoS/Dunfermline willing to put up enough money to turn him full time again.

In other news, John McGlynn has gone straight in at Number 1 at the bookies for the Dundee United job, with odds of 3/1.

That surprises me a bit. I don't doubt for a second that he's on the shortlist that the United board are drawing up, Craig Levein almost certainly made sure of that, but I don't think they'll offer him the job.

I can see the sense in it, in as much as he's the one man who will continue Levein's good work (assuming his assistant is going to Scotland too), and there's every chance they're happy to just keep on truckin' in the direction they're going. I feel that the fans in particular would rather they went for a bigger name, rather than an up and comer.

And who knows, maybe with Craig Levein talking of being bored as Scotland manager, they'll just swap jobs and Levein will manage Rovers part-time...

In other news, John McGlynn has gone straight in at Number 1 at the bookies for the Dundee United job, with odds of 3/1.

That surprises me a bit. I don't doubt for a second that he's on the shortlist that the United board are drawing up, Craig Levein almost certainly made sure of that, but I don't think they'll offer him the job.

I can see the sense in it, in as much as he's the one man who will continue Levein's good work (assuming his assistant is going to Scotland too), and there's every chance they're happy to just keep on truckin' in the direction they're going. I feel that the fans in particular would rather they went for a bigger name, rather than an up and comer.

And who knows, maybe with Craig Levein talking of being bored as Scotland manager, they'll just swap jobs and Levein will manage Rovers part-time...

Hopefully he can improve on his record as manager from last time. Statistically, he was poor with only one win. :unsure:

Said it all along

Levien to Scotland

McGlynn to Dundee Utd..........

Danny Lennon to Rovers....The Legend Returns