The New Raith Rovers Thread

Can't believe you're ruling out the possibility that they've suddenly become good players....

After watching both legs of the play-off final the answer is no...

McGlynn also ruled out Kenny Duchar, and mentioned we're in the hunt for 2 strikers, possibly 3, where he hinted if someone who had played with us was released by his club, may be back again. Not much guess work needed to know who that is. That's in addition to McNeil and a defender which seem to be done deals. McGlynn also doesn't rule out loan players again next season, but only if injuries dictate.

I asked about stadium ownership and whether it was conceivable we could own our staduim at any time in the future. Apparently someone has already offered Sim his £400,000, which was refused, and is rumoured to be looking for close to a million. He also seems to be making some ludacrious demands on the maintanance of the stadium, where you would think with him being the landlord would lie at his door. He does not have any ongoing contact with the club.

All in all a good evening, but I would say poorly attended. it was a great chance for fans to ask whatever they wanted and not many took them up on it.

I wonder if it was Val McDermid that offered the £400,000? Only Raith fan that I can think of who has enough money to do this.

After watching both legs of the play-off final the answer is no...

I wonder if it was Val McDermid that offered the £400,000? Only Raith fan that I can think of who has enough money to do this.

If the price of my house extension is anything to go by, £400,000 for Starks Park is a steal.

That's actually a very good shout. She couldn't buy the ground and call it Val McDermid Park, she she sponsored the North Stand and called it the McDermid Stand.

Quite funny that on fantalk, they bang on about the creative midfielder, almost like they won't be happy until Tony Rougier appears from time machine and starts to play for us. Robert Sloan appeared and got 30 odd assists in his first two years, nobody said a thing other than moaning that he wasn't fast enough.

Quite funny that on fantalk, they bang on about the creative midfielder, almost like they won't be happy until Tony Rougier appears from time machine and starts to play for us. Robert Sloan appeared and got 30 odd assists in his first two years, nobody said a thing other than moaning that he wasn't fast enough.

He didn't run around doing f**k all though, not good enough! :angry:

If we signed somebody like Juan Román Riquelme most of them would still moan about that and bemoan the fact the he dosen't run about like a headless chicken like Davidson...

Why do people in this country prefer players with a so called "work rate" rather than actual abillity?

Edited by Willie Gray Ate My Hamster

If we signed somebody like Juan Román Riquelme most of them would still moan about that and bemoan the fact the he dosen't run about like a headless chicken like Davidson...

Why do people in this country prefer players with a so called "work rate" rather than actual abillity?

It's frustrating to say the least. The only reason I can think of, is that many still put 'playing for the jersey' towards the top of their priorities when it comes to valuing a player. As long as the player is out there giving his all, they aren't too fussed. This is fine in theory, but players who "work hard" are generally not very good.

Edited by Michael W

It's frustrating to say the least. The only reason I can think of, is that many still put 'playing for the jersey' towards the top of their priorities when it comes to valuing a player. As long as the player is out there giving his all, they aren't too fussed. This is fine in theory, but players who "work hard" are generally not very good.

Davo is a prime example for this, he is an average player but seems above criticism because he "plays for the jersey" and "gives 110%" we had a fantastic work ethic throughout the whole team last season but you still need to have some form of skill. I got fustrated with Sloan because of lack of pace and his decision making speed, if he was a couple of yards faster and football brain a bit quicker he would still be in the SPL

I don't think anyone could say that Davidson is "above criticism". I think he gets more than most.

Sloan's problem was that he was working at a different speed to everyone else. He can clearly spot a brilliant pass, but by the time he's had a look, decided, and then swung his boot, the chance has gone.

Sometimes he is absolutely fantastic. He ran the show up in Aberdeen.

When the game's being played at a frantic pace though, which it often is, he's nowhere to be seen. Either that, or he receives the ball and then in the time it takes him to decide what to do with it, he's been closed down and loses possession.

I'm sad to see him go, but he's not only being criticised because he doesn't run around. He wasn't giving us enough quality in enough games.

Some of us knew the value of Sloanaldo, even on here people would say assists from corners and free kicks didn't count :blink:

I don't think anyone could say that Davidson is "above criticism". I think he gets more than most.

Sloan's problem was that he was working at a different speed to everyone else. He can clearly spot a brilliant pass, but by the time he's had a look, decided, and then swung his boot, the chance has gone.

When the game's being played at a frantic pace though, which it often is, he's nowhere to be seen. Either that, or he receives the ball and then in the time it takes him to decide what to do with it, he's been closed down and loses possession.

I'm sad to see him go, but he's not only being criticised because he doesn't run around. He wasn't giving us enough quality in enough games.

thats the one

When the game's being played at a frantic pace though, which it often is, he's nowhere to be seen. Either that,

or he receives the ball and then in the time it takes him to decide what to do with it, he's been closed down and loses possession.

You've hit the nail on the head here, he was well liked because of his ability to score good goals but I feel to often this year he was getting involved enough and when he was the majority of the time he looked of the pace.

Not mcmanus please.

I don't know, all I know is that staff are going in tomorrow in hope of completing the signing of 1 or more players.

I'm guessing this will be the completion of the Baird transfer and then any other transfers that may arise. Looking forward to seeing who it is. I now wonder how many people will start saying they've seen whoever haha

Fair enough, there's a few guys on fantalk who talk nonsense, but it's the same on every forum.

I don't get why folk come on here and complain about it, it's as if you're saying "we're so much better than that lot who post on there." It's cringeworthy.

If you don't like it don't go on it, simple as that.

I don't know, all I know is that staff are going in tomorrow in hope of completing the signing of 1 or more players.

I'm guessing this will be the completion of the Baird transfer and then any other transfers that may arise. Looking forward to seeing who it is. I now wonder how many people will start saying they've seen whoever haha

I can exclusively reveal that when my sons babysitters boyfriends aunties nextdoor neebors brothers wee cousins mate was passing Starks Park at 9 o'clock last night he's almost certain that he saw a guy coming out of the main door that looked uncannily like Damien Cassalinouvo and he was carrying a trendy manbag with a designer logo on it. :huh:

Domino's :lol:

Perhaps Boaby Mullin was peckish. ;)

edited to add more smilies 8)

Edited by Scottydog

He didn't run around doing f**k all though, not good enough! :angry:

No, he jogged around at half pace doing f**k all which is probably one of the top reasons he was released.

Sloan will always have a special place in my heart for scoring perhaps one of the most important Raith goals in recent times with that glorious free kick versus Brechin.

People must be watching a different Davidson from me. The player I see who supposedly runs around like a headless chicken is putting constant pressure on key midfield players, panicking them into shit passes and often giving them a healthy wee reminder that they won't get any time on the ball.

Fair enough, he isn't our most consistant or most pleasing on the eye performer but every team needs a player like that who will do the donkey work.