The New Raith Rovers Thread

Jesus anyone remember any time we have been this optimistic about a squad we put together in the last 10-15 years? Regardless of how the season goes im delighted the way the club have gone about the pre season signings and hopefully we can kick on from here

Our first 11 is looking very decent on paper. Absolutely no depth whatsoever but we're looking good for this campaign. Best shape we've been in since promotion on paper.

Agree,good looking but lacking in a bit of depth squad.A centre half and a couple of loanees required IMO

Its a not bad sized squad, throw in the defender we need and maybe another midfielder for cover (tho Booth can play mid as well) looking pretty good

Factor in Murray unlikely to play much and Hills time in the stand serving suspensions our squads a bit thin ;)

Pleased with the Cardle signing and happy I took us at 12/1

Edited by Mij

Agree,good looking but lacking in a bit of depth squad.A centre half and a couple of loanees required IMO

Factor in Murray unlikely to play much and Hills time in the stand serving suspensions our squads a bit thin ;)

Pleased with the Cardle signing and happy I took us at 12/1

We were down at 8/1 when i put on an each way :-(

Very early days of course but looking at how all the squads are shaping up, you wouldn't be overly fearful of anyone else at the moment.

That's not to say that I think we'll win it, I don't, but at the moment most other teams look to have stood still or even went backwards in terms of how their squad looks, whereas we seem to have assembled a far better looking pool of players than at this time last season. At the very least we've closed the gap between ourselves and the other, more fancied teams.

It's been a really encouraging close season.

Certainly the team looks good on paper. Who'd have thought the team would have been gutted as much as it was from last year. Looking at a probable starting eleven from last year, and comparing it to this year:

2012--------------2013

McGurn----------McGurn

Thomson--------Thomson

Ellis---------------Ellis

Hill----------------Hill

Malone----------Booth

S.Anderson----Fox

G.Anderson----G.Anderson

Walker----------Moon

Graham--------Spence

Clarke----------Elliot

Hammill--------Cardle

That's a 55% Turnover in playing staff. Bare in mind that we are still in for another centre back so that figure could easily rise to 63%. Notably it's 83% of our front six that have changed against 20% (possibly rising to 40%) of our backline. So, there are some useless stats for you. Of those, graham got a better move, Anderson and Hammill released, Clarke was seemingly quietly scrapped and Walker was (publically at least) not offered terms.

Murray has been at least, ruthless and it's probably good that he has done. It at least offers him the chance to stamp authority on a group of players who see him more as the boss and less as 'Bert' the club captain.

Also looks like there is more mobility in the centre of the park, and Cardle will offer a lot of intelligent running and a decent goal threat out wide left. I've left otu Smith, but could quite easily have put him in there for Elliot or Spence. On paper at least, there is a decent forward line there, and Smith and above all Elliot come from a decent pedigree. We all know that Spence can put them away.

It could all got oshit obviously but that starting eleven looks good enough to push into the play offs (the good play offs)

with a turnover as high as that we may find it takes a few weeks for the team to gel as a unit, as the players get used to each others style, habbits etc. good team on paper though and another 2/3 signings would have us with a good squad imo.

Certainly the team looks good on paper. Who'd have thought the team would have been gutted as much as it was from last year. Looking at a probable starting eleven from last year, and comparing it to this year:

2012--------------2013

McGurn----------McGurn

Thomson--------Thomson

Ellis---------------Ellis

Hill----------------Hill

Malone----------Booth

S.Anderson----Fox

G.Anderson----G.Anderson

Walker----------Moon

Graham--------Spence

Clarke----------Elliot

Hammill--------Cardle

That's a 55% Turnover in playing staff. Bare in mind that we are still in for another centre back so that figure could easily rise to 63%. Notably it's 83% of our front six that have changed against 20% (possibly rising to 40%) of our backline. So, there are some useless stats for you. Of those, graham got a better move, Anderson and Hammill released, Clarke was seemingly quietly scrapped and Walker was (publically at least) not offered terms.

Murray has been at least, ruthless and it's probably good that he has done. It at least offers him the chance to stamp authority on a group of players who see him more as the boss and less as 'Bert' the club captain.

Also looks like there is more mobility in the centre of the park, and Cardle will offer a lot of intelligent running and a decent goal threat out wide left. I've left otu Smith, but could quite easily have put him in there for Elliot or Spence. On paper at least, there is a decent forward line there, and Smith and above all Elliot come from a decent pedigree. We all know that Spence can put them away.

It could all got oshit obviously but that starting eleven looks good enough to push into the play offs (the good play offs)

The first XI does look good. If Hill could get back to form, or we get a new centre half, then there is cause for optimism. I really hope we can get off to a good start, to get folk through the turnstiles again. Pricing is still an issue, but that team looks capable of turning on the style, so a good start could see crowds up.

Cracking signing.

Along with others, optimistic for new season for a change.

Though a bit light in numbers (including the essential CB) IF Donaldson and Callaghan can come on again from last season, we are in very decent shape even before any loan players arrive.....

I got 14/1 at Victor Chandler just yesterday, £12.50ew 1st 3, obviously we need our players to gel together and embrace what will surely be a change in style but I am we'll excited for new season.....

Get off to a good start and hopefully the stay away punters from last season will start to filter back....

Chortle....

Can we all calm down a wee bit lads?? I'm enjoying this glossy appraisal you're all painting but let's keep our expectations in check until we get through the first round of matches eh?

Yep, good looking signings.

Yep, positive and realistic chat from Board and Manager.

Yep, great response to New strip and ST's...

However......LOTS to be done before this assembly of players can be properly assessed.

Remember ladies, sometimes your excessive highs are eclipsed by your implosive lows. More often than not, neither are truly justified.

Sincerely,

Mr Fun Sucker :P

Although I thought we shouldn't have been holding off for Cardle I'm well pleased we've finally got him signed up. If we can get a centre half on board, and still have money left over for a couple of loans to bolster the squad when we need them, we'll be in as good a position as could've been hoped for going into the new season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

This pre season so far has been very positive and full of expectations. Murray has the first part of the job right, getting rid of players who he thinks are not up to standard and getting the right players in. Big compliments to Murray for that. Now its time for the second part of the job: the team to gel and make it an attractive playing and winning team. I have trust in Murray to do that.

The biggest win IMO will be when Raith will get an attractive playing style and attract more crowd. Or with other words that Raith will be so much fun to watch. I rather see the team win 3-2, 4-3, etc. then a scrappy 1-0. Last season we didn't score too much and depended too much on Graham and Spence. I hope this year more players will chip in goals. It makes our team less predictable and much harder to defend.

I just hope the expectations now at the start will not be too high. In case the team is no there yet at the start of the season I hope fans will stay positive and stay behind the team. IMO the team can reach the play offs. Lets hope the season stay so positive as the feeling of many fans is now.

This pre season so far has been very positive and full of expectations. Murray has the first part of the job right, getting rid of players who he thinks are not up to standard and getting the right players in. Big compliments to Murray for that. Now its time for the second part of the job: the team to gel and make it an attractive playing and winning team. I have trust in Murray to do that.

The biggest win IMO will be when Raith will get an attractive playing style and attract more crowd. Or with other words that Raith will be so much fun to watch. I rather see the team win 3-2, 4-3, etc. then a scrappy 1-0. Last season we didn't score too much and depended too much on Graham and Spence. I hope this year more players will chip in goals. It makes our team less predictable and much harder to defend.

I just hope the expectations now at the start will not be too high. In case the team is no there yet at the start of the season I hope fans will stay positive and stay behind the team. IMO the team can reach the play offs. Lets hope the season stay so positive as the feeling of many fans is now.

I think our new midfield has alot of goals in it, lets not forget Anderson got a decent return for both assists and goals last season despite his form being hit and miss. Smith will probably start as backup striker but will be looking to put pressure on the other 2 which is always a good thing and hopefully stamp out players not playing well being kept in the team