The New Raith Rovers Thread

McGurn was in goals for our 5-1 win over Raith, didn't look too clever for 3 of our goals, but didn't get the stick Cuthbert got after our win last week.

So that excuses a poor goal keeping performance? If it was any other keeper he would have got pelters.

I couldn't quite think of any specific mistakes directly causing any goals in this match, maybe slight hesitancy 'cos we were a man down and chasing the game, so I watched it back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCTs6IdCBqk#t=479

No way was he to blame for 3 goals, and the Cowden fan coming steaming in to the argument without any knowledge of the display is, frankly, bizarre

I couldn't quite think of any specific mistakes directly causing any goals in this match, maybe slight hesitancy 'cos we were a man down and chasing the game, so I watched it back....

No way was he to blame for 3 goals, and the Cowden fan coming steaming in to the argument without any knowledge of the display is, frankly, bizarre

But then that's natural for them, wanting to be noticed...

Guys just a wee heads up in case you didn't know that Kelty Hearts are 3 games away from being the 1st Fife club to win the East Superleague title.

Tomorrow we face Boness 1st v 2nd at home and next week we are at home to Camelon if we can win them both the title could be ours if other results go our way.

If your not travelling to Dumbarton tomorrow or are at a loose end next week we would like to welcome you along to Central Park to support the lads in their pursuit of the league.

Only £5 entry and we have a large social club at the ground where everyone is welcome so you can get a beer before or after the big match.

Good luck against Dumbarton and we hope some of you can come along tomorrow and next week to support a fellow Fife team.

www.keltyhearts.co.uk

Guys just a wee heads up in case you didn't know that Kelty Hearts are 3 games away from being the 1st Fife club to win the East Superleague title.

Tomorrow we face Boness 1st v 2nd at home and next week we are at home to Camelon if we can win them both the title could be ours if other results go our way.

If your not travelling to Dumbarton tomorrow or are at a loose end next week we would like to welcome you along to Central Park to support the lads in their pursuit of the league.

Only £5 entry and we have a large social club at the ground where everyone is welcome so you can get a beer before or after the big match.

Good luck against Dumbarton and we hope some of you can come along tomorrow and next week to support a fellow Fife team.

www.keltyhearts.co.uk

yeah, I'm working until lunchtime so will come along.

This boy Sheerin we're linked to is apparently mince according to a few posters in the Livi thread.

It seems odd to be linked to players without having a manager.

Unless the new manager is currenty in a job and we are waiting till the end of the season to appoint him/her

It was reported a few weeks ago that Malpas had been doing a bit of scouting, including in England.

It's one of the reasons I'm often unsure about the DoF model, but I'd imagine Malpas has at least some responsibility for signing players. Don't see how not having a manager would stop us.

www.keltyhearts.co.uk

I had a look on your website and noticed a few ex Rovers players in your side. Good luck for the run in.

Lets break it down this way so fans from other clubs can actually understand as opposed to spouting rubbish ...

Yes its good the team wanted to continue to move towards a FT Club, however when your GK is your best player, possibly the best you have had in decades, and could arguably be up there with the better keepers in Scotland at the minute, you have to take that into consideration ...

This season when we have played 2 other GK's outside McGurn, they have been Cuthbert & Laidlaw ... Cuthbert, who btw was obviously Hamiltons league winning keeper, i think some expected a lot from, however he has started 8 and conceded 25 meaning on average 3.2 Goals a game (13 in his last 4), which is appalling. As for Laidlaw hes started 7 and conceded 16, which equals out to 2.2 Goals per game, which again is pretty horrid. Mcgurn has started 23 and conceded 27, so about 1.1 goal per game ... Now 5 of these where Vs Livi due

to Perry being an utter moron and being sent off in 40 seconds, so you could even say McGurn is literally 1 goal conceded per game ...

Its no coincidence our run of 7 unbeaten, which included the wins at Ibrox, or our 2 better results of the season such as beating QOS & Hibs all came with McGurn in goal ...

Also the only thrashing we had with him in goal was Vs Livi, where like i stated above, we had 10 men for 90 minutes so take that with a pinch of salt ... Whilst Cuthbert/Laidlaw have been on hand for 2x4-0's from Rangers, 4-0's from Hearts, 6-1's from Rangers, 4-0's from Dundee, 4-0's from Livi, 4-3's Vs 10 men QOS and if you want to look further back a 4-0 from York pre-season to ...

Not only do goal conceding stats back it up that McGurn is by far superior to the other 2, matches won back it up, unbeaten runs back it up, our best wins of the season back it up and much more ... For Murray to not see what the fans seen, what the board obviously seen and due to their confidence levels excelling when hes in goal, what the players seen, it show's me he was not the man who should be in the job and I'm glad hes gone !

Now back to work I go ...

It was almost certainly Kevin Cuthbert, so no. Even McGurn in his FFP interview suggests he realises it's better that he train with the squad and that some compromise could be met. I don't think McGurn by himself is the reason, or even the main reason Murray went, all joking aside. I do think his treatment of the matter is emblematic of the larger issue the board had with Murray, which involved a longer term malaise. Speaking as someone who was happy enough for Murray to see next season, the issue is that when we were bad this season, we were horrific although when we were good, we were more than good enough. The fanbase however, is long since past giving him the benefit of any doubt on that part (and I still think folk were more than quick to hound him for defeat while not giving him any credit for winning games). The fanbase then, had absolutely no confidence in Murray, which is one half of the issue - his refusal to talk to McGurn would only inflame the support in this respect (while also revealing a deficiency in basic man management on Murray's part). The other half being that Murray himself did not inspire confidence in the board that he had a plan going forward to win back the confidence of the fans.

Myview - all your points make perfect sense.... It's just a situation that, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to add up. McGurn doesn't train with the team - yet he works with them better, and inspires more confidence in them, than the keepers that do train full time. He holds down a full time job - yet he plays consistently better than the keepers that train full time. He's frequently our most valuable player - yet he takes home a fraction of the wage that our full timers do (I assume!).

Murray may well have brought in a "better" keeper, but we've had keepers come in to replace / deputise for McGurn before (e.g. Robinson and Cuthbert) who've had good reputations, but they've never quite matched up him once they've got to Starks Park.

I'm not convinced that not re-signing McGurn was the main reason for Murray's departure but it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Trying to compare that game to the performance by Cuthbert is ridiculous.

Wow It's a long time since I've heard of a player so highly thought of by the fans. I genuinely don't know enough about him and at 34 that surprises me if he is that good although it appears I'm not the only one. I still believe a 34 yr old p/time goalie can't be 'the last straw that broke he camels back' to lead to Murrays dismissal. The assumption that Murray was not going to re-sign McGurn may be wrong. Maybe McGurn if he is such a nice guy and I've no doubt to dispute this should post to confirm if Murray did speak to him because allegedly players are saying that Murray did speak to him about resigning. Most managers in end of season meaningless games play players who they are making a final decision on. Could this have been the position with Cuthbert?

It has also been said that the five clubs above Raith all had bigger budgets which I think was common knowledge. I'm sure not 100% but most players were disappointed in the sacking and were as surprised as Murray! Sacked by a chairman who allegedly admits his knowledge and understanding of football is close to zero. Murray leaves winning Raith their only 2nd trophy in their history beating Rangers away in the Scottish cup, reaching the q final to the team who is in the final and may win it! Chairman more than said it was down to not being in a top 4 finish! Yes he knows little about football! With these achievements behind him imo Murray deserves another club and I hope he proves this sacking was unfair and a very poor decision.

Wow It's a long time since I've heard of a player so highly thought of by the fans. I genuinely don't know enough about him and at 34 that surprises me if he is that good although it appears I'm not the only one. I still believe a 34 yr old p/time goalie can't be 'the last straw that broke he camels back' to lead to Murrays dismissal. The assumption that Murray was not going to re-sign McGurn may be wrong. Maybe McGurn if he is such a nice guy and I've no doubt to dispute this should post to confirm if Murray did speak to him because allegedly players are saying that Murray did speak to him about resigning. Most managers in end of season meaningless games play players who they are making a final decision on. Could this have been the position with Cuthbert?

It has also been said that the five clubs above Raith all had bigger budgets which I think was common knowledge. I'm sure not 100% but most players were disappointed in the sacking and were as surprised as Murray! Sacked by a chairman who allegedly admits his knowledge and understanding of football is close to zero. Murray leaves winning Raith their only 2nd trophy in their history beating Rangers away in the Scottish cup, reaching the q final to the team who is in the final and may win it! Chairman more than said it was down to not being in a top 4 finish! Yes he knows little about football! With these achievements behind him imo Murray deserves another club and I hope he proves this sacking was unfair and a very poor decision.

Seriously are you Grant Murray?

If you read it again it's down to the fact the entertainment on offer at Starks was not good enough.

I can see where you are going from because you haven't seen first hand what it has been like, particularly at home matches.

On paper Murray has a better record in his first three years of management than some managers throughout their whole career.

But if the fans are not happy with the style of football, or the players lack of passion on the pitch, then the board have to act. It is us, after all that pay the money to help the club function.

Murray had lost the fans. There was no going back. The board had to act, and they did. We shall see in the season ahead if it turns out to be the correct decision or not. Every decision in football is ultimately a gamble, it's the nature of the sport.

What's done is done. It's time to look forward.

Too many poor spells of form did it for Murray in the end. He went into this season on the back of three wins in the last twenty league matches last season, had a mid-season capitulation and after turning it around another slump.

I said a good few weeks ago that the games weren't meaningless at all - we needed to do alright or Murray would feel the pressure. We didn't, and he's gone.

I haven't seen the players saying anything in public about it, but if they are disappointed at what's happened then I'm afraid they have to carry a chunk of the blame too. It's clear they are in holiday mode which is unacceptable, but Murray also has to try and keep them motivated.

From my point of view, the last few games soured things for me to the extent that I developed quite a dislike for some of our players. Despite calling for Murray's head earlier in the season, I was prepared to give him the next season. Maybe it's because he is a genuinely nice guy or maybe because I had mentally pictured him here next season, but the axe fell the other way for me. Ultimately however, the evidence IMO justified the sacking and he had lost the fans.

The way MyView is going on you would think Grant never got a fair chance at management, he got 3 years which is a lot more than most managers would get in this day and age, there are very few managers who the supporters would have liked to have seen do well more than Grant as he is a well liked person at RRFC and a respected player. Yes he had some good results, the Ramsdens cup but look at the 3 month period before that where we won something like 2 games. Murray has had some aweful runs, our winter colapses which would see most manager sacked at other clubs at this level. The truth is exactly as Wardy says we were totally brutal to watch and even when we won it certainly wasn't entertaining. I doubt you will find a Raith fan who doesn't wish Grant well and hope he proves us wrong but he was let go because he lost the fans and certainly wasn't bringing any new ones through the gates

Edited by San Starko Rover