The New Raith Rovers Thread

Danny Lennon is still available. He wouldn't exactly be bringing in Guardiola, but he'd at least allow for us to have a reboot of our style of play which we've come to know and love over the last decade.

I'm generally against having ex players managing the team. This isn't just because of people like Daizel. It's based on what I've seen throughout the footballing world.

I would have Lennon in a heartbeat. Change of philosophy, new faces with new ideas in training. The guy has been successful in short management career, plenty contacts, knows the club (without knowing it too well) He is a former player but didn't play here that long and despite THAT goal (deflection) is no legend. Seems the ideal and almost obvious target. He might not fancy it, he might want more than we can afford but if we COULD have him then I say go for it.

You also happy with the part where they refuse to discuss if finance is the reason that they won't fire him? I know I am not, it comes

across as basically saying club finances are none of the fans concern. Will they still be taking this high and mighty attitude when home crowds drop to 3 figures regularly?

He also said Murray was set no targets, in what other job do you not have targets and goals to achieve? I think most people if they were perceived to be performing so badly in their job they would be on a performance management plan, what makes a football manager any different?

They didn't refuse to discuss "if finance is the reason" - they refused to discuss the details of his contract, which is fine; and they expressed their confidence in him which implicitly answers the other bit. As RATM says, what do you expect them to say?

As far as targets go, I have come across some jobs that are based entirely on specified targets - I always thought it was a shit way of judging performance, and I've never worked in such a job. Nor have I ever set specific targets for my own staff - which is not to say there aren't minimum things and standards I expect from them, but those are based on their own input and not on a crude measure of outcome.

Any suggestion that football managers are simply being treated the same way as anyone else in other walks of life is palpably ludicrous - there's no other industry where senior managers are hired and fired with such gay abandon.

Ravy - I'm not anyone involved in the club and I'm not close enough to know any of them personally. I just don't agree with you.

Anyway, it's only a day or two since I said I was going to stay out of such conversations from hereon, and I've got sucked back in already. I'll give it another go.

Meantime I'll be there tomorrow. Play as we did last week and we're perfectly capable of beating Hibs. Play as we did the week before and we're perfectly capable of getting horsed. That's football, and I still love it.

Some points:-

1. Please refer to RATM as Rat Machine, as it makes me smile.

2. No atmosphere is better and more honest than manufactured atmosphere, such as music over PA (even the likes of Celtic take this shameful approach). Also falling into this category are drums, bands, etc. Atmosphere should be generated by the crowd singing/chanting/expressing emotions.

3. Having some pre-pubescent ultras is truly, truly desperate.

4. The best way of creating atmosphere is to get a team on the park who are worth backing.

So to sum up, the board are content with a manager who has been under-performing in the last year, who tries to shut up shop after a goal and play one up front against part time teams. The standard of football we play is widely renowned as tedious. Meanwhile, the Flyers offer a face paced alternative which seems to provide entertainment. But still, we have no targets and should be happy we're playing big teams like Rangers, Hearts and Hibs who are gracing us with our presence. The players need to either get sent off, or provide a horror show to get themselves removed from the team even if they've been brutal too.

Danny Lennon is still available. He wouldn't exactly be bringing in Guardiola, but he'd at least allow for us to have a reboot of our style of play which we've come to know and love over the last decade.

To be fair, the Flyers can afford to put entertainment above all else, they play in a league that has no relegation and where finishing third bottom is good enough to get you entry into 'the play offs'

Steady tiger, I used to enjoy your anti Dalziel posts back in those dark days.

And yet we are faced with a new set of dark days. The fans are irrelevant, it doesn't matter if we turn up they have their money from season ticket sales. Who cares what we "the punter" think. We are merely mug punters in all fairness.

Some points:-

1. Please refer to RATM as Rat Machine, as it makes me smile.

2. No atmosphere is better and more honest than manufactured atmosphere, such as music over PA (even the likes of Celtic take this shameful approach). Also falling into this category are drums, bands, etc. Atmosphere should be generated by the crowd singing/chanting/expressing emotions.

3. Having some pre-pubescent ultras is truly, truly desperate.

4. The best way of creating atmosphere is to get a team on the park who are worth backing.

SB, cheer leaders, we definitely need cheer leaders.

SB, cheer leaders, we definitely need cheer leaders.

I agree. Not the type that would get Gary Glitter hot under the collar though. Otherwise the Police Beast Squad will rightly shut Stark's Park down.

But what about our lady supporters? We have to cater for their tastes too.

If the football on the park was presentable the atmosphere would sort itself out, there's no atmosphere because how are you supposed to get behind 90 minutes of 10 men behind the ball/hoof ball tactics ....

I really do hope the BOD are not as short sighted as they appear to be, to have no targets for this season or any future seasons is a shocking way to run a business .... Even something as simple as survival last season, finish above PT teams and generate ££ this season before aiming to build up to the play offs in the next season or 2 would have done ...

Its simple, yet effective, its not impossible after seeing QOS/Falkirk do it and its something the fans can get their teeth into and start to believe in ... To simply say "Murray has no targets" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in the BOD with a new incoming chairman going forward ... Not that I'm calling for their heads obviously, but its just not a great thing to hear as a fan !

I agree. Not the type that would get Gary Glitter hot under the collar though. Otherwise the Police Beast Squad will rightly shut Stark's Park down.

But what about our lady supporters? We have to cater for their tastes too.

I'm Gadd you cleared that up.

The Board will obviously have targets that they'd expect the team to meet this season, to believe otherwise is a bit daft IMO.

Whether they would want those targets to be made public is another matter, bearing in mind you're potentially setting yourself up for a fall if you don't achieve them.

I think people have missed the gist of what was meant in the interview.

It reads to me that the Board have demanded an upturn in performances, and results, without necessarily attributing a points total to it. That's the "no target" that is being referred to, rather than meaning no specific targets were set at the start of the season.

It also reads to me that unless things do improve, then Murray will be shown the exit door.

Reading between the lines, I think more drastic action will be taken fairly soon if we continue to underperform, and if so, the Board can point to yesterday's interview and say, "well we tried our best to help."

At least that's my interpretation of it.

TH and ED should stay well away from making statements,besides I thought this would be the duty of our PR guy

i really cant see any drastic action being taken soon if/when we continue to underperform,it wouldnt put the board in a great light after backing the manager publicly

I'm glad the term "Results must improve." was used ... I'd have been far from happy if it was a case of "we need to improve our performance" ... At least its clear, win games or your out by the sounds of it, though with us, its very rarely ever that clear haha :P

Has a planned protest been planned? That's what it's saying is possible in the courier

If there was a protest planned then social media and these forums would be rife with people trying to drum up some enthusiam to get more people involved. If we get horsed tomorrow we'll have the usual moans and groans from the stand but doubt it'll escalate into a 'lets stand outside the ground and hound the board/gaffer' type situation. We don't really have anyone willing to take ownership or oganising such a thing at the moment.

I'll admit I only really skimmed the article in the Press last night but The Courier article reads in a bit more of a serious tone albeit it's probably much of the same quotes. Hard to explain. I'm also reading it as no targets were set upon Murray in a sense of 'you must win your next X amount games or you're out the door' but at least something was said to him and the board are recognising results are not satisfactory.