The New Raith Rovers Thread

Unless we suffer another meltdown of form, Murray deserves to be in charge next season.

We're more or less where we all expected, although there is that tinge of disappointment we didn't make a better challenge for the playoffs.

The main concern is hanging on to our better players.

I've always felt one of Murray's strengths was his ability to sign up good players. The last two seasons have seen an element of excitement with who we were bringing in (for me anyway) but for whatever reason it's taken til now to see them playing to an ability we know they are capable of. Certainly on paper I felt our squad(s) over the last two seasons would have been more than capable of getting a top 4 place but hey ho. Maybe Malpas might work with Murray to re-sign mandatory players whilst seeking out decent replacements.

I have to admit I was completely bemused by the reaction to us signing Cowdenbeath's left back last close season. I still don't see what all the fuss is about McKeown (sp?).

I was pleased we got Cardle, after seeing him play well for the Pars and I was pleased we signed Elliot. Cardle was every bit the frustrating player the Pars fans told us he'd be and although Elliot started brilliantly for us, he's now become a bit of a comedy figure. So, i'm maybe not the best judge of a player.

Oh, I was excited when we re-signed Baird too.

Hopefully we can get the players we need this close season.

Edited by Scary Bear

I can see there being a fairly large exodus of players this season. Our average attendance hasn't been great, about 2,200 the last time I checked, and while our cup run will probably keep the wolf from the door, I can't imagine us making a big profit this season.

Obviously it depends who gets promoted, but with Hearts definitely away and Hibs or Rangers potentially joining them, you're probably back down to an average of well under 2,000 again.

I really can't see the big wage earners being offered anything like what they were on this season.

If that's the case then I hope we prioritise keeping the current back four, then throw in Anderson, Mcgurn, Callachan, Vaughan and Conroy. Other than that, the rest could probably be moved on.

I don't think any of us know who the big earners in the squad are. You'd hazard a guess at Nade being one, which if true may well point towards him being on the way out. I'd be happy to keep him but in all honesty at this stage I'd be looking to start the season with Vaughan and a new striker as our starters, Stewart and Nade/someone else as back up.

Definitely keep at all costs:

McGurn (please god)

Thomson (perhaps not his best season but he's consistent, makes few mistakes and is captain)

Hill

Barr

Watson

Anderson

Conroy

Callachan

Vaughan

Happy to keep finances permitting:

McKeown (and I really didn't think I'd be saying that in November)

Moon (if he can get over his injury problems)

Nade

Stewart

On the fence:

Scott

Laidlaw

Punt:

Cuthbert - no issue with him at all but he's an expensive number two, you'd imagine

Fox

Elliot

BARRIE FUCKING MCKAY

Looking back at that I initially thought I'd be looking to get rid of more. The most important part is keeping the players in the "must keep" section. Baird was number one in that list last season and we lost him. If we're honest Cardle was probably number two despite his frustrations, he scored and assisted a good number of goals. Conroy has been worth more this season than Cardle but Baird was never replaced well enough. Keep the spine of the team and make sure we don't need ringers like Ross Perry derailing the season before it's started.

Edited by Paco

Just watched the highlights from the Alloa and QoS games. There were some really well taken goals in those games. Vaughan's volley against Alloa is excellent as is his finish against QoS when he has three defenders around him. Stewart's wee dink over the Alloa keeper and his header against QoS are also excellent, although the Queen's defender should never have let him get the header away.

Just watched the highlights from the Alloa and QoS games. There were some really well taken goals in those games. Vaughan's volley against Alloa is excellent as is his finish against QoS when he has three defenders around him. Stewart's wee dink over the Alloa keeper and his header against QoS are also excellent, although the Queen's defender should never have let him get the header away.

I was saying that today to my old man, as well as well worked goals there has been a lot of good football played with quick passes through midfield, Vaughan was involved in so many of our good moves looking at the highlights you'd be forgiven for thinking he played CAM

There is the core of a decent squad there just needs to hold onto them and make good signings.

Need to keep

Mcgurn

Thomson

Mckeown (what a turn around)

Hill

Barr

Watson

Callachan

Anderson

Conroy

Stewart

Vaughan

either way

Moon

Nade

Cuthbert

Let the rest go and look at getting a striker and a couple of midfielders.

Def agree however I would let Nade and Cuthbert go if only to use the money saved on a striker and a midfield. Scott has looked good as a sub last 2 games.

Evening Tele has you linked with Kyle Letheren. Do you lot just like to stockpile goalkeepers?

I can't see us looking at him unless Mcgurns away in the summer which I don't think he will be. We have Cuthbert and Laidlaw anyway. I think the papers telling a few fibs on that one..

Its either that or we're going to try and re-create your title winning side from last year..

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Davo clearly still has an affection for the club - he's always at the games if we've got a home game when Dundee aren't playing. The only comments I'm aware of after he left were attributed to his dad rather than him. I'd have no problem with him coming back.

Davidson is far superior to Fox

Fox's lack of pace hurts but he's a far better player positionally than Davo. If we are going to build a team around the likes of Vaughan, Stewart, Conroy and Barr we don't really need the ball constantly launched on 40 yard diagonals

Davo clearly still has an affection for the club - he's always at the games if we've got a home game when Dundee aren't playing. The only comments I'm aware of after he left were attributed to his dad rather than him. I'd have no problem with him coming back.

Neither would I. He was in the Main Stand at the Hearts game and I've seen him at our games a few times since he left. If he still has the same energy to his game, then he might be a good partner for Callachan. It might enable us to up the tempo in midfield. He's also a utility player and given we can't afford a big squad, that's a useful attribute.

Obviously he's no world beater, but those sort of players rarely sign for the Rovers.

Edited by Scary Bear