The New Raith Rovers Thread

When were these halcyon days? Was it back in the '50s? '90s?

I too dream of better days. However, being a pessimist/realist, there looks to be a lack of goals in the team and if Cuthbert is to be first choice keeper he needs to rediscover some form. Hopefully this season goes well. We'll get an indication of how it's going to go once the league season gets underway. Bogey team Livi up first. Anything better than a crushing defeat will be an improvement for us.

If Cuthbert is to be our number 1, I would suggest he stops straying off his line.

So much negativity on here it's embarrassing. Rovers fans used to be known as one of the best set of fans in Scottish football. Not now

When was that exactly?

I find it just a bit concerning that we are pinning all our goal scoring hopes on a player who couldn't hit a barn door until last March.

Fingers crossed him and Vaughan pick up where they left off.

When was that exactly?

I find it just a bit concerning that we are pinning all our goal scoring hopes on a player who couldn't hit a barn door until last March.

Fingers crossed him and Vaughan pick up where they left off.

You could've said the same thing about Brian Graham after his first season.

More people moaning about people moaning, than people actually moaning. Good to see nothing has changed in the close season.

It's possible to have concerns over the team even in pre season, but have you have to temper it by realising the manager is watching the same thing and I'm sure has reached the same conclusions. If we'd scored twice rather than hitting the post against Aberdeen would what looks like a shortage up front be irrelevant? Of course it wouldn't.

Stewart is still to come back and while he's far from a messiah he does have a different approach than the rest of our strikers and I would wager his running and stretching defences will give Vaughan and Wighton more space to play. Anderson has given it a good try in fairness but he's not used to the role and it showed at times. I'd like a plan B up front I have to say, someone with a bit of physical presence, but I'm sure McKinnon would too - just a case of biding his time. No rush at all for a new player. If you'd like an example of a rushed signing, look at Ross Perry. Came in as a trialist, told no thanks, Hill got injured, Murray panicked and signed the only man he knew was available. Same day Alloa got, coincidentally, Kyle Benedictus on loan.

Having said that, if McKinnon doesn't play McGurn sometime soon he'll be receiving a nasty letter to Stark's Park and maybe even a scratch on his car. Grr.

People will moan about the team and if we start performing well and rack up the results the can main about how the club can't afford promotion and what's the point of going up to just get pumped every week...

That crossed my mind while typing.

Hopefully history repeats itself there.

We can only hope. In his favour Stewart does seem to have a decent technique in front of goal. I can think of a couple of times he could've done better (that miss in the 2-1 win vs Dumbarton in December, for example) but against that, he's shown he can put away even quite difficult finishes - the volley vs Hibs, the glancing header in the second game vs Queens at Starks, that blasted shot in off the bar at the start of the season against Cowden. Alongside his obvious pace he has all the attributes to do well for us this year....

When was that exactly?

...off.

f**k knows. I hope we won an award for it, like those nice Dundee United fans did, back in the '80s. As far as I was aware, Rovers fans have always been a bunch of miserable, petty, moaning, sweetie paper rustling, c***s.

Still the best fans in Fife.

So Dundee fans see Wighton develop for a few seasons and have high expectations of him. We get him on loan and some fans make a judgement based on 2 pre-season friendlies. No pleasing some!

Wighton will come good but come on we've played 2 games! That was Aberdeen's 5th and they looked much fitter as the game went on as would be expected. For what it's worth I thought Wighton actually had some good touches and I think if you watch him closely he's actually a very intelligent player for his age. Both he and Vaughan are still learning yet we've got fans wanting them to be the finished article already scoring 20 goals a season each.

I really like the way we are getting the ball on the deck and playing it out from the back. In past season's we'd if there was nothing on we'd have pumped it into the channels hoping for Stewart or Tade or Nade or whoever else to chase it down. Instead we're keeping it at the back and staying composed. All in all I think it's good signs.

As has also been said I'd far rather see us play games against these teams and lose than against junior, amateur or League 1 sides that offer little competition and see us winning comfortably. It'll all be worth it in the long run.

Wighton is a good player and an excellent prospect for the future but the long and the short of it is that:

a, he's not the finished article (else he'd be in the first team up at Dens) and b, I seriously doubt he will ever be a lone striker or target man type of forward.

He's a young lad with loads of potential and lots to learn, our trouble is and we can all see it is that we need a predator and we need one now. Wighton is unlikely to be that guy this season and for me I'd prefer Vaughan in a forward role than him.

That's not to say I have anything against Craig Wighton, far from it I like him and I'm sure he will go far in the game.

Lewis made his debut coming off the bench in a 3-1 win for us on the last day of the season at Cappielow May 5th 2012, he was 17 and 5 months.

Dunno when he made his full debut, though the way he was use by previous managers it wouldn't surprise me if he were 19 and a half by the time he started.

Was Vaughan anywhere near the starting 11 at 17?

Think he was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Vaughan

Think he made the starting 11 a couple of times in 2013-14 season, although I recall him mainly being used as a sub, and made his debut 2011-12.

Edited by Scary Bear

Lewis made his debut coming off the bench in a 3-1 win for us on the last day of the season at Cappielow May 5th 2012, he was 17 and 5 months.

Dunno when he made his full debut, though the way he was use by previous managers it wouldn't surprise me if he were 19 and a half by the time he started.

According to Wiki he was born in December 1995. Would that make him 16 years and 5 months when he made his debut? He's only 19 now.

Think he started against Hearts in the League Cup in 2013-14 season.

Edited by Scary Bear