The New Raith Rovers Thread

But considering you were bottom half of the 2nd a few years ago to being runners up in the 1st is a great achievement in the space of time.

We have done well (I was expecting the 2nd season slump this time), but to think how close it was makes it worse.

Perhaps being an auld cnut, makes it worse as 30 years ago we did the same, and it has been like history repeating.

Daft logic, WB, it doesn't need many clubs thinking the same way and the whole thing escalates and everyone is fucked.

(Which is, indeed, not far from what's actually happened.)

I'm happy or us to achieve what we can within our budget. If that had meant relegation then so be it, if it means third place as it may well do, then that's an excellent achievement and there's no need for any what-ifs.

I can't believe we're even talking about this after nearly going out of existence in the not so distant past.

I don't expect us to be challenging for promotion next season and we have to just make sure we stay up again. I would imagine most teams will be making cuts though, so there is no reason why mid table cannot be achieved.

"What ifs" are just needless right now. We did not have enough money to bring in anyone else and I would even hazard a guess that bringing in Kevin McBride pushed us over budget.

Wales may not have contributed anything, but he was there in case Tade or Baird picked up injuries. It's incredible to think that they both lasted the whole season without injury considering the 110% effort they possess each game.

Daft logic, WB, it doesn't need many clubs thinking the same way and the whole thing escalates and everyone is fucked.

(Which is, indeed, not far from what's actually happened.)

I'm happy or us to achieve what we can within our budget. If that had meant relegation then so be it, if it means third place as it may well do, then that's an excellent achievement and there's no need for any what-ifs.

I can't believe we're even talking about this after nearly going out of existence in the not so distant past.

I don't expect us to be challenging for promotion next season and we have to just make sure we stay up again. I would imagine most teams will be making cuts though, so there is no reason why mid table cannot be achieved.

"What ifs" are just needless right now. We did not have enough money to bring in anyone else and I would even hazard a guess that bringing in Kevin McBride pushed us over budget.

Wales may not have contributed anything, but he was there in case Tade or Baird picked up injuries. It's incredible to think that they both lasted the whole season without injury considering the 110% effort they possess each game.

I have been one of the biggest financial risk adverse posters on here for many years, however I saw the glitering prize and thought we (in January) should have strengthened our squad and possibly our grip on the title. I make no excuse for that.

The facts are the the cloth will have to be cut with no Dunfermline, and with at the time talk of 3 down next season, this was IMHO our best opportunity to get into the SPL again.

I wasnt calling for a Dundee esque recruitment policy, but enough to get us to the summer. As was pointed out we did sign a player who hadn't played for months and (another) defensive midfileder, so perhaps it was more a case of signing the wrong type of player, than not signing anyone.

I have been one of the biggest financial risk adverse posters on here for many years, however I saw the glitering prize and thought we (in January) should have strengthened our squad and possibly our grip on the title. I make no excuse for that.

The facts are the the cloth will have to be cut with no Dunfermline, and with at the time talk of 3 down next season, this was IMHO our best opportunity to get into the SPL again.

I wasnt calling for a Dundee esque recruitment policy, but enough to get us to the summer. As was pointed out we did sign a player who hadn't played for months and (another) defensive midfileder, so perhaps it was more a case of signing the wrong type of player, than not signing anyone.

I'd say it was the wrong type of player, you needed a flair type player who could create chances.

Macca is slaughtered on here by many but he got things spot on yesteray and in January.

McGlynn basically admits this was as close as Raith would get to SPL. Cuts to budget will follow this summer: http://bit.ly/mOKmqa (Skip to the last minute and a half)

Is he milking it, so he has an excuse to fall back on if we capitulate next season, or is he genuinely worried?

I think he's genuinely worried and would probably bite your hand off for a mid-table spot next season.

McGlynn basically admits this was as close as Raith would get to SPL. Cuts to budget will follow this summer: http://bit.ly/mOKmqa (Skip to the last minute and a half)

Is he milking it, so he has an excuse to fall back on if we capitulate next season, or is he genuinely worried?

I think he's genuinely worried and would probably bite your hand off for a mid-table spot next season.

The whole league is going to get worse next season but not only that but teams will likely raise prices to around £17 for adults will in turn make people consider not going due to the overpriced "product" which will in turn affect budgets which will lead to the squads the season after being lower... etc etc etc

Scottish football is slowly dying.

Edited by Willie Gray Ate My Hamster

On the phone, can't see it. What does he say? Got a text from my da saying it was just saying that the budget would be cut due to no pars, but we knew that anyway?

I may be over-reacting slightly, but the negative connotations in his voice were most discomforting.

I fear next season could be a severe reality check.

I may be over-reacting slightly, but the negative connotations in his voice were most discomforting.

I fear next season could be a severe reality check.

Everybody in the division will be in the same boat and I expect away supports to be tiny due to the cost of travelling/price of entry & crap football all round.

I was actually pretty depressed listening to McGlynn. I think he did sound genuinely worried, although the uncertainty of how much everyone else is cutting is something that probably concerns him too.

Most of our signings tend to come from the lower leagues anyway, but I think we might be reversing our trend of moving towards an all full-time squad next season.

The only consolation is that it's not just us. However, the next season is going to be tough to watch for a lot of clubs due to cut backs, and rising prices coupled with a poorer standard is going to lead to a fair bit of apathy.

I'm just looking through the pictures from the POTY night at DV8 on Saturday night, Allan Walker is in a few absolute belters, including one with some random bird grabbing his nuts. I was talking to my neebur who was there, and he was saying that him and his pals bought Walker a shot each, then Walker gave them a £20 a note and told them to go and spend the lot on more.

He sounds like a good lad.