The New Raith Rovers Thread

We'll lose Tade, McGurn, Wilson, Williamson, Weir and Ferry. That i have no doubt, why McGlynn has favoured McNeil over McGurn is astounding. The defence have absolutely no faith in him whatsoever, we've been shaky as f**k since he was introduced and the defence have felt this as well. The two goals we lost we lost yesterday were preventable if we had McGurn in goals, sorry but thats the way i see it.

All sources reported that McGurn signed a two year deal last summer. But if for personal reasons (like fitting in the travel and stuff round his day job) he wanted to move clubs I daresay we'd be willing to release him.

Personally I'd put him back in goal for the last two games either way. He's been very good for us and if he is moving on I'd like to see him again and let him finish with some game time. (Plus, yesterday has convinced me that he's probably the better 'keeper.)

The problem is more that we've over-achieved relative to what our budget is. With the budget probably being cut due to the loss of two 6,000 crowds against the Pars, that challenge is only going to get tougher.

I suppose other teams will also cut back, but we'll also be facing a Falkirk side under competent management and a Dundee side likewise. This was, IMO, the best opportunity we'll get in a while to go up.

Longer term, Grant Murray and Mark Campbell, both key players for us are getting on. Next season, they'll be 36 and 34 respectively (according to wiki) and they're going to need replacing eventually. With their advancing years, they won't be able to consistently turn out a high level of performance like they've done during their time here. I think Dougie Hill and Laurie Ellis are perfectly capable replacements, but these two have also been known to feature at LB. Strength in depth could then become an issue.

Whatever happens, we must ensure we keep McGurn, Ellis, Walker and Baird. The latter three have been our best players this season, and I do think we need McGurn back in, as I'm not sure we could get a similar quality replacement with what we have.

Edited due to shite spelling.

Edited by Michael W

Freeing Campbell might not be a bad idea IM(controversial?)O. We don't keep the ball well with him in the back four and we're too reliant on his aerial presence. Our long spell of miserly defence came when we had to find another way of doing it, and also had a complete back four comfortable in possession. Re Tade, I don't think we hoof it because he's there, I think we hoof it because we're too awkward and lacking in shorter options. If it was Weir and Baird we'd be doing the same things under any pressure (and complaining about it more).

McGlynn won't be going anywhere unless a better job appears that he can get. It's probably true that he's 'taken us as far as he can' if the budget is coming down and he can't attract better players, but I'd imagine he needs his modest salary as much as the rest of us need our own. Looking at the game yesterday, it's fairly apparent that it helped Dunfermline to be able to acquire a player like Hardie in January - along with Rutkewicz, Buchanan and whoever else - whereas we signed Gary Wales (still not fit enough to play apparently) and more recently McBride. If we had even one of Cardle, Graham etc yesterday we'd've been far more dangerous a proposition. Four centre mids! FWIW I thought Simmons made a decent fist of it, but just one natural wide player would've given us an alternative to the one option we seemed to have. There is inevitably a limit to what can be achieved with the type of recruitment the Rovers can muster at present.

<_<

Even though we won yesterday, it seems like some of you lot are acting like you've not got any chance of winning the league now. Yes, we've got a good advantage although we still require another two points to win the thing, although more preferably, a victory on Saturday to secure the title.

Freeing Campbell might not be a bad idea IM(controversial?)O. We don't keep the ball well with him in the back four and we're too reliant on his aerial presence. Our long spell of miserly defence came when we had to find another way of doing it, and also had a complete back four comfortable in possession. Re Tade, I don't think we hoof it because he's there, I think we hoof it because we're too awkward and lacking in shorter options. If it was Weir and Baird we'd be doing the same things under any pressure (and complaining about it more).

McGlynn won't be going anywhere unless a better job appears that he can get. It's probably true that he's 'taken us as far as he can' if the budget is coming down and he can't attract better players, but I'd imagine he needs his modest salary as much as the rest of us need our own. Looking at the game yesterday, it's fairly apparent that it helped Dunfermline to be able to acquire a player like Hardie in January - along with Rutkewicz, Buchanan and whoever else - whereas we signed Gary Wales (still not fit enough to play apparently) and more recently McBride. If we had even one of Cardle, Graham etc yesterday we'd've been far more dangerous a proposition. Four centre mids! FWIW I thought Simmons made a decent fist of it, but just one natural wide player would've given us an alternative to the one option we seemed to have. There is inevitably a limit to what can be achieved with the type of recruitment the Rovers can muster at present.

Those are all good points. I'd still be keeping Campbell, mind, but I agree the defence looked most solid early in the season with Ellis / Murray at centre-back.

It did, but I don't think the re-inclusion of Campbell is what's caused our goals conceded counter to mental since the turn of the year. Players performing poorly further up the park haven't helped, and Craig Wilson has been out of form for months. Again controversial, but I'm not sure I'd be too bothered if Wilson moved on in the summer, owing to his latter half of the season form. For whatever reason, he's just lost his confidence and has continually just booted the ball down the line.

In Case it sounds like it, I'm not blaming Wilson. I just think the team as a whole haven't performed as well (at least in their defensive capacity) as they did in the first half of the season.

As for punting it to Tadé, a lack of movement in midfield pretty much covers it. That's an inevitable consequence of playing with two defensive midfielders. L.Brilliant is also right that we look awkward in possession, although it doesn't help when the options are limited.

Agreed there too, I didn't mean to imply any blame to Campbell there, players come in and out of form and it's just one of those things.

I wouldn't be looking to change any of the defence this summer anyway. It's forwards we'll need, assuming Weir, Wales and Tade are all on their way.

It did, but I don't think the re-inclusion of Campbell is what's caused our goals conceded counter to mental since the turn of the year. Players performing poorly further up the park haven't helped, and Craig Wilson has been out of form for months. Again controversial, but I'm not sure I'd be too bothered if Wilson moved on in the summer, owing to his latter half of the season form. For whatever reason, he's just lost his confidence and has continually just booted the ball down the line.

In Case it sounds like it, I'm not blaming Wilson. I just think the team as a whole haven't performed as well (at least in their defensive capacity) as they did in the first half of the season.

As for punting it to Tadé, a lack of movement in midfield pretty much covers it. That's an inevitable consequence of playing with two defensive midfielders. L.Brilliant is also right that we look awkward in possession, although it doesn't help when the options are limited.

I agree. Murray has looked much, much more assured recently at RB than Wilson.

The game at Dens turned it for me. Cruising at 1-0 and seeing the game out pretty well, then bang. Wonder goal by Harkins and it all falls apart. We never really looked the same since them IMO.

<_<

Even though we won yesterday, it seems like some of you lot are acting like you've not got any chance of winning the league now. Yes, we've got a good advantage although we still require another two points to win the thing, although more preferably, a victory on Saturday to secure the title.

Seemed to work for you guys when a lot of you admitted defeat in March. :P

i think the second half of the season the team came crashing down to earth a wee bit after the excellent start. that said whole sale changes aren't needed just a few players to replace the ones that leave. for me mcgurn would be the biggest loss he is the best keeper we have had for years and is just as much a match winner as baird or tade are.

I still believe our inability to strengthen our squad in January is the reason we failed, too many jaded palyers and performances.

The board didn't gamble, and I think that has cost us a shot at the SPL for the next 5 years.

Next season will be tough, and I fully expect us to struggle.

Still cant understand in a must win game why we played only 3 forward thinking players.

We don't want the board gambling, thanks very much, been down that road before and there's no guarantees of success.

(The one player we didn sign in January contributed nothing.)

I still believe our inability to strengthen our squad in January is the reason we failed, too many jaded palyers and performances.

The board didn't gamble, and I think that has cost us a shot at the SPL for the next 5 years.

Next season will be tough, and I fully expect us to struggle.

Still cant understand in a must win game why we played only 3 forward thinking players.

Are you having a fucking laugh?

It's called a gamble for a reason ya daft vagina of a boy, say you took this gamble, spent outwith your means and you still finished second?

You're in the second with a mind cripple of a fuckng debt and your asking yon Anelka c**t if he has a spare 250,000 grand, you're team has done brilliant this season, I'd appreciate the fantastic achievement all done within the budget.

We don't want the board gambling, thanks very much, been down that road before and there's no guarantees of success.

(The one player we didn sign in January contributed nothing.)

We have been down the road of looking good and not strengthening before too, and it took us 12 years to get back up again.

1 SPL player on loan for 5 months would cost what ? £15-20K ?

We have been down the road of looking good and not strengthening before too, and it took us 12 years to get back up again.

1 SPL player on loan for 5 months would cost what ? £15-20K ?

I'm pretty sure Kevin McBride is a loan player, from the sfl, you also brought in Gary Wales for 40 minutes worth of action, that might have been all your budget done?

I'd rather have a board that were sensible, look at Dundee and Livi, they were blondey bawhairs away from not having a club to support, their gamble certainly never paid off,Dunfermline fucked up majorly on our gamble, you can at least be safe in the knowledge that you will still have a club to support to the rest of your life, not bad i'd say.

Edited by Grant228

Are you having a fucking laugh?

It's called a gamble for a reason ya daft vagina of a boy, say you took this gamble, spent outwith your means and you still finished second?

You're in the second with a mind cripple of a fuckng debt and your asking yon Anelka c**t if he has a spare 250,000 grand, you're team has done brilliant this season, I'd appreciate the fantastic achievement all done within the budget.

Tut tut. A pars supporter lecturing an opposing clubs supporter about their club getting into debt.

If it was my club i would be overjoyed about finishing in 2nd, would still be gutted having come so close to taking the title and passage to the SPL.

But considering you were bottom half of the 2nd a few years ago to being runners up in the 1st is a great achievement in the space of time.