The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, philpy said:

A friend had this pic on his FB page. If only rovers fans knew how much fear those two men would install in our ranks... IMG_0526.jpg

Why did Hearts have Hannibal Lecter as their mascot back then? 

14 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'm of the view if we had Wright last season, we'd have won the league. He's looked far superior to Lennox and Smith so far.

I’m actually of the view that we would have won the league if we hadn’t signed Smith at all. Probably the worst keeper I’ve ever seen play for us. Smith’s (manager) persistence/stubbornness in keeping him in goal so long was baffling.

Also agree that if we don’t have the players to fit in comfortably to a rigid 4-4-2 then we need to be working on something different. Squad is full of central defensive and defensive midfield players and we are playing to many guys out of position far too often

Firstly, he was forced into playing players who were carrying injuries so that he could get his strongest team on the park. I recall McKeown having an extremely poor season under Grant Murray but being one of our better players under McKinnon. He put it down to the fact that he played a large part of his first season with us carrying an injury but there was no cover for him to sit out.

Secondly, luck 100% plays a huge part in any club winning the league. Was it poor tactics from Barry Smith that made Vaughan (our top goal scorers) hit the post in the last 30 seconds of the last game of the season? Was it poor management that led to Moore skying his penalty for Ayr against Alloa which took the league decider to the last game?

Thirdly, yes Ayr did put play us on several occasions last season. But they also dropped plenty of points in other games. Defeats against Stranrear and Forfar at home as well as losing to Alloa in the above mentioned game. A season is played over 36 games not just a handful against league rivals.

Fourthly, just because one team plays one way and does well, doesn't mean it's the same spread across the board. Livingston are in the Premier League now through a long ball and direct approach, the Motherwell 'hatchet men' made it to 2 cup finals last season with their direct and long ball strategy. I'll agree that last season at times was like watching someone running into a brick wall over and over again. But Smiths winning record speaks for itself. We won games and the fact that we didn't win enough to gain promotion comes down to a lot more than just the style of play.

For the record, I hope we do see a change in style and tempo with faster and slicker moving football. But I won't be moaning about the more direct approach, as I mentioned before, East Fife had a lot more possession than us and pressed us at home. Perhaps the longer ball approach with pace on the flanks would have elevated a lot of that pressure and pushed us further up the pitch.

Agree with some of what you say, but leaving Regan Hendry on the bench for weeks whilst our best attacker was wasted in CM is the one I found hardest to take.

Smith has to go. McKay dropped for no reason just so Davo gets a game. The mans a moron. This isn’t a team it’s merely a squad of “football” players that couldn’t cut it elsewhere. Everyone connected or had been connected to RRFC thank you for fucking things up.

I have to agree with everyone's comments here. Smith needs to go to give us a chance to salvage any chance of winning this league. 

Arbroath are off to a flying start, that's four games of the league done now and we've mustered 5 points. I know there's over 30 games left but I can't see us beating Arbroath and Dumbarton much this season. 

Today was confusing to say the least. Smith's flaws open for all to see with the team selection, we went down to 10 and looked beat, only to miraculously pull it out the bag for a win. 

Are we better than we thought we were if the right players/system are on the pitch, or was it all a massive fluke? 

I'm still in shock.