The New Raith Rovers Thread

It’s a bit of a trend that teams that come up to this division have a great initial season and then get hit with the proverbial second season syndrome. Expectation are high, and rightly so, and the mood music from the club is we should be challenging for a play-off place, if not the title, but is a fairly steady Murrayesque 6th/7th/8th place finish a shock this season?

Edited by Enigma

14 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:
3 hours ago, raith1974 said:
Just been to the Strathearn Hotel. Two young guys staying at the hotel. My guess both are up and training at SP.

I assume there was a reason that you guess the are training with us other than just two young guys in a hotel?

Just a hunch, both at the right age and I've previously seen players who are signed staying at the hotel. We'll have to wait and see.

3 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Just a hunch, both at the right age and I've previously seen players who are signed staying at the hotel. We'll have to wait and see.

Did they look like good players?

Ffs give the guy a chance.Maybe,just maybe he,ll fit in with club,/system and the way McGlynn wants to play.We were laughed at for signing Nisbet if I remember

Nobody’s not giving him a chance. We all want him to do well, as we do every signing. We’re all entitled to our opinions. Mines, like many others is that the signing isn’t anything to get excited about and the same as Connolly and Zanatta. Just because Nisbet took off, doesn’t mean we have to hype up every new signing. He is an exception. More often than not a lack lustre signing is poor on the park.

56 minutes ago, Enigma said:

…is a fairly steady Murrayesque 6th/7th/8th place finish a shock this season?

An interesting question, and not easy to answer. Most fans would immediately cry “Nay” and haver on about maintaining momentum and pressing forward, but they’d be wrong. We are not a team that can buy who we’d like, we are a team who will end up selling on, when we can, their top prospects for a few years yet. The longer contracts we are seeing are a sign the Board and a manager are committed to maintaining Championship football and developing the chance to move up.

We have recently signed a number of two year contacts, why? Because it gives us a better group of players to chose from, and may even get us a player on a slightly smaller salary than other team offered with a one year deal. It ensures the continuity of the team, it offers us compensation if one of those lads turns out to be the next Hendry, it makes other players look at us differently, and with interest. Tait got a three year deal, not because we expect him to be here for three years, but because we expect an offer for him at least after this year or next, and we want something for him. Tom Lang and Liam Dick are both examples of talented players who liked out style of play, appreciated a two year offer, and who might offer a payday after this season if they flourish. Musonda is a great example of a guy it would have been awesome to have had sign a two year deal, but…

At this level, we develop players to help us win and earn, and as a useful byproduct, we get more loanees. If we can do that steadily for a few years, we might make the step up and become something more, so I’d be content, if not happy, with 6th, 7th or 8th.

The club have really misread the support with the whole season ticket thing. 

It's hard not to be a bit wary when dunfermline and killie are packing out their squads with signings. 

I think the players we have so far are the right players and the new additions look like good fits. That said last season we were bitten in the arse with such a tight squad when injuries, fatigue and bad form started to pile up.

Mcglynn will exploit the loan market to its fullest as he always does. I'm surprised he hasn't ventured south again as last years results were worth it in my opinion.

Duku went as expected.

Musonda was an absolute find 

Ugwu was a mixed bag, I think there is a player in there and he will likely hurt us when we play Morton. 

4 hours ago, dysartrovers said:
8 hours ago, raith1974 said:
Just been to the Strathearn Hotel. Two young guys staying at the hotel. My guess both are up and training at SP.

I assume there was a reason that you guess the are training with us other than just two young guys in a hotel?

He’s getting spit roasted 

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Wonder if you’d have said this if the chief exec was a man.

Of course not. I'd have said he instead of she if that was the case :rolleyes:

The season ticket thing is a misread of the room and so might this "exciting" signing be. 

6 hours ago, pub car king said:

It's hard not to be a bit wary when dunfermline are packing out their squads with signings. 

Are they? 🤨 Dunfermline fans are freaking out left right and centre about their squad at the moment. 

As was said, Poplatnik went through a brief spell of looking useful as a target man last season. He then got injured and Robinson went on a ridiculous run and Poplatnik could get nowhere near the team. A lack of reserve football definitely hurt him.

He started to play more towards the end of the season and I wasn't a fan. Not convinced he's a good finisher, he's pretty slow and only ok in the air. Maybe McGlynn can see something Martindale can't and find a role in the team that will suit him.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

As was said, Poplatnik went through a brief spell of looking useful as a target man last season. He then got injured and Robinson went on a ridiculous run and Poplatnik could get nowhere near the team. A lack of reserve football definitely hurt him.

He started to play more towards the end of the season and I wasn't a fan. Not convinced he's a good finisher, he's pretty slow and only ok in the air. Maybe McGlynn can see something Martindale can't and find a role in the team that will suit him.

With Ugwu gone we certainly do need a target man to give us something different. Maybe a drop down a level will do him a lot of good. 

I know nothing about him other than he scored against us, so hard to determine how it'll work. Decent chance it works out better than some random 19 year old, though. 

Midfield is still worrying me. 

8 hours ago, pub car king said:

The club have really misread the support with the whole season ticket thing. 

I think the club might have been sold a bit of a dummy by the Trust on this one. This statement from the Trust suggests that they were consulted, and gave the club the green light on this season's pricing. Particularly this section:

"It’s great to reward fans for their loyalty, but most of them will be loyal regardless – giving them something extra may be a more meaningful way of saying thank you than giving them a discount."

Looking at the uptake of refunds the season before (which the Trust underwrote, it should be noted) I can see where that view would come from. 

I do also think, though, that the offer of a partial refund would have been a bit of a free hit, PR wise. If they'd come out and said "Everyone can have £50 back, or it'll go into the transfer kitty", I can't imagine many (other than those who need it) would've taken that up. 

This is not to give the club a pass, or to start throwing stones at the Trust, but I think it is a partial mitigation from the club. They've not just unilaterally made a decision, they have consulted with others, albeit they've still ended up with an outcome that could have been better. 

Game day, most of us (me included) are a bit underwhelmed by the signing of Poplatnik, here's hoping he starts the game and bangs in a brace to silence the critics (again I include myself) and we will all be singing his praises come 4pm

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

That's really what we're after. 

On 02/07/2021 at 09:59, Raith Against The Machine said:

Name them. 

Tam O Brien, 

Forget about this. 

Edited by baillieinleeds
Needed to get rid as I couldn’t quote otherwise

What’s the story with Gullan, we’ve had him on loan 3 times. If he’s not getting a game with Hibs, then surely he should just come back to us. He’s played more football with Rovers than the Hibbees 

Edited by baillieinleeds

14 hours ago, renton said:

Yeah. I wouldn't mind so much if the club wasn't trying to work up some pish about us tilting for the title. Looking like fodder for 6th to 10th I think.

Anyone who thought we could go for the title is completely off their nut.

I’d be delighted with 6th, Thistle are more likely to recreate what we did last year.

13 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Tam O Brien,

Very good player, no doubt but he is under contract until 2024, part time or not he would never have been a viable option for us this summer.

On the move to full time, obviously McGlynn having more time with the players and access to a larger pool of talent are the main benefits.

However, I was told last year something that annoyed Scott Boyd was how much time the first team took up of ‘peak’ rental time for the pitch by training at night on Tuesday and Thursday. With the team training during the day now it frees up extra rental space and revenue from the pitch at night through the week. Might not sound like much but I’m sure over the year it will add up.

Edited by R.R.FC