The New Raith Rovers Thread

McGlynn has ultimately sat with the national media for over half an hour today, the earlier reports of a prepared statement and no questions weren’t right.

Maybe we can actually wait to see what was said in full rather than condemn him based on two or three tweets from a journalist simply because it didn’t contain the exact words you might have wanted?

I am shocked, shocked that the Fife Free Press had this wrong. 

Pleasantly surprised that McGlynn has sat and answered questions on it, which he could've gotten away without doing, and simultaneously disappointed that the owner/chairman/CEO hasn't stepped up to the plate. At least there's someone fronting up though, it's definitely preferable to a head in the sand approach. 

In terms of the content of his apology, I think it's probably about all you could expect, if not what you'd hope for. He has literally said "sorry" (which some people wanted instead of "we apologise" which seems like semantics to me, but there we are) although it appears to be to the support and to 'football' rather than to any victims. 

Other than that I think it's just confirming things we already knew or heavily expected. 

Ultimately I don't think it changes much. I still think he should leave, probably at the end of the season. There's still a greater emphasis on the club, and it's owner, to provide a fuller response and a plan for moving forward. 

McGlynn has ultimately sat with the national media for over half an hour today, the earlier reports of a prepared statement and no questions weren’t right.

Maybe we can actually wait to see what was said in full rather than condemn him based on two or three tweets from a journalist simply because it didn’t contain the exact words you might have wanted?

That’s a fair point. I hope there’s more to what McGlynn has said, it would be nice to hear some recognition of what a shit decision that was, but it wouldn’t be all that impressive to persist with the “we thought we could ride out the backlash for a day or two” stuff.

17 minutes ago, Paco said:

McGlynn has ultimately sat with the national media for over half an hour today, the earlier reports of a prepared statement and no questions weren’t right

This media conference was not about DG, it was about the Celtic game. The club would know fine well that DG would come up and had said that a short statement would be said with no further questions regarding the matter. For all we know as of now this short statement could have literally been a 30 second paragraph.  Fair enough if he has answered some questions. Journalist obviously trying their luck. 

Journalists are always looking for a story and some click bait so if there was anything more interesting than what we already know, then we would know by now. 

i can see the club realising a statement once the contract has been sorted out. Until then I fully expect nothing from. They will want to give us the whole story rather than half of it 

Edited by Offshore Rover

7 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Gutted for Lang. He was absolutely superb when he came into the team earlier on this season. Tinkering in defence has caused us no end of problems since December.

Just when McGlynn had brought him back from inexplicably benching him after being a huge part of the unbeaten run. Berra & Lang clearly the most effective partnership in central defence. Really bad luck but you can be sure he will rehabilitate diligently and be back to fight for his place at the earliest opportunity.

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

How is this cancelling of the contract going to work?

Would there be a high possibility that this ends up as a contract dispute mess in court and Raith Rovers could be severely hit in the biscuit tin with Goodwillie walking away with a sizable lump sum?

Surely it's a simple matter of Raith trying to talk Goodwillie out of taking the entire value of the contract, either by releasing him and offering a % of the deal up front. Or seeing if a loan deal can be struck with another mutually acceptable club to cover X% of his wages.

However at Goodwillies age you would imagine he would be fairly happy to coin it in for a few years and find something else to do.

Also the press conference seems to be summarised by McGlynn shat it. Hope he is evicerated during his TV interviews.

Surely it's a simple matter of Raith trying to talk Goodwillie out of taking the entire value of the contract, either by releasing him and offering a % of the deal up front. Or seeing if a loan deal can be struck with another mutually acceptable club to cover X% of his wages.
However at Goodwillies age you would imagine he would be fairly happy to coin it in for a few years and find something else to do.

Also the press conference seems to be summarised by McGlynn shat it. Hope he is evicerated during his TV interviews.
Shat it? Wtf?

49 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

I feel heart sorry for Lang. He's been at this level before and didn't 'make it' but he's proven this season that he can be a standout (on his day) in the Championship, so to have that whole progression stopped for the best part of a year is a sickener. 

I don't know how many games he and Berra got together as a two, but up at Arbroath they were imperious. Undoubtedly the best defensive pairing I've seen this season. 

I'm sure he'll come back stronger, he seems like that kind of guy. It's yet another factor in this absolute Enron-share-price of a season, though, that'll mean we'll be very lucky to finish fourth. 

Pity this DG saga as came about when we're going through a shite spell on the pitch as well. Doesn't look like McGlynn is going to walk and I doubt he'll elaborate anymore on the matter and if he does he'll just end up repeating himself. Up to the board now to come out with their own statement - if they choose to do so.

Now John, if you could get the team peforming again that would be great.

33 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

I am shocked, shocked that the Fife Free Press had this wrong. 

Pleasantly surprised that McGlynn has sat and answered questions on it, which he could've gotten away without doing, and simultaneously disappointed that the owner/chairman/CEO hasn't stepped up to the plate. At least there's someone fronting up though, it's definitely preferable to a head in the sand approach. 

In terms of the content of his apology, I think it's probably about all you could expect, if not what you'd hope for. He has literally said "sorry" (which some people wanted instead of "we apologise" which seems like semantics to me, but there we are) although it appears to be to the support and to 'football' rather than to any victims. 

Other than that I think it's just confirming things we already knew or heavily expected. 

Ultimately I don't think it changes much. I still think he should leave, probably at the end of the season. There's still a greater emphasis on the club, and it's owner, to provide a fuller response and a plan for moving forward. 

Mcglynn has kinda been thrown out to the wolves , Why couldn’t the CEO or even another board member come out and apologise on behave of the club and refer to the poor female victim and the rest of the women associated with the club / female fans  that have been offended ,The clubs ruined IMO and will never be able to move forward unless the current board are removed . Just sadden , fed up and totally disillusioned in the direction my club is heading  

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Whatever happens from here on in, I feel its the players we need to rally around now, they need the support more than anyone or anything else for the rest of the season

Been saying that for the past few days on here. As JM says they are not bad people, mistakes have been made and consquencies are that they have received very bad press, lost sponsorship and will and probably have already settled Goodwillies contract but let's not forget about the 25 or so other players that need the Raith support behind them. They've done nothing wrong and need a good backing especially at home to get wins on the board.

11 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Mcglynn has kinda been thrown out to the wolves , Why couldn’t the CEO or even another board member come out and apologise on behave of the club and refer to the poor female victim and the rest of the women associated with the club / female fans  that have been offended ,The clubs ruined IMO and will never be able to move forward unless the current board are removed . Just sadden , fed up and totally disillusioned in the direction my club is heading  

With attitudes like that over 1 decision the club will die. Most of the people upset weren't even Raith fans. As I said to one of your other supporters on here the other day I experienced it with my club over a financial scandal. We are steadying ourselves but are in rebuild mode while most of the shouters who were wanting to take over, who didn't show their real names on social media, were nowhere to be seen.

So take it from me don't let your club die