The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Both are a bit shite, but agreed.

I am still left wondering what the guardian chat is?

Surprise, surprise but the Guardian article centres round Val McDermid and some MP who has connections to the bastion of propriety and morality that is Livingston Football Club.

Edited by Specky Ginger

18 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Surprise, surprise but the Guardian article centres round Val McDermid and some MP who has connections to the bastion of proprietary and morality that is Livingston Football Club.

In fairness to Livingston, they're the perfect example of offering someone a chance to rehabilitate into a success with Martindale. The polar opposite of our situation. 

33 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Surprise, surprise but the Guardian article centres round Val McDermid and some MP who has connections to the bastion of propriety and morality that is Livingston Football Club.

Yep, and a great spot to comment about the growth of our Club, etc…instead we’re left as having not responded.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Saying nothing is far, far preferable to saying the wrong thing.  

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

Both are a bit shite, but agreed.

Disagree. When we’re already in the deep end, a nice statement would show the Club is serious about changing direction. Instead, it looks like full steam ahead, sorry, but it’s a poor choice and sucks.

Club have made it abundantly clear that it's a case of "move along nothing to see here"

They have had plenty of time to develop a media strategy that starts to build bridges between the board, their vision and the fanbase.

Reality is people will drift back and drift away from the team rather than the board attempting to galvanise a support. Zero comment, zero interviews, zero time in front of camera isn't sustainable for ever. 

"Right we've got a new fundraiser get Raith TV/FFP/Courier on the phone but tell them we won't answer any G/W questions" that isn't going to fly because you kill the credibility of the interviewer.

It's damage limitation rather than anything more meaningful. This lot are going nowhere and moving on it will be the work of volunteers, community foundation and hopefully success on the park that will redevelop the wider view of RRFC.

Shame to have a board and CEO who are motivated by avoiding making things worse. 

Read the article and like many it misses the real story which is a fan base standing up for what they believed was right. The Val, Marie Penman story is a feature of something even more hopeful but that doesn't seem to fit the narrative.

Tried to word this in a way to focus on the lack of comment from the board rather than reopening "that" topic.

Edited by Always next quarter

Should the club put out regular updates on the DG affair?

Day 61 in the Rovers house. DG has been shat out the door to Clyde but Clyde have been threatened with eviction for being wrong uns. DG is missing.

I notice there’s nothing about the Goodwillie signing on the Rovers official news anymore. The double down is gone too. The first apology is still there as is the bit about engaging with fan groups.

Personally, I just want to go to the football occasionally. Ideally my club won’t sign rapists, paedos, drug dealers, violent criminals or the likes, but obviously there’s no guarantee of that. Maybe we could write that into the Concordat of Raith Rovers.

10. Do not sign rapists. Especially when there have already been serious rumblings of discontent from your fanbase about this signing.

Edited by Scary Bear

The Guardian article advocated a 'fit and proper person' test for footballers, which is overkill in my view. 

I don't believe Goodwillie has a place in the game, but I really don't want the game going down the rabbit hole of outlining what offences are "acceptable" for the purposes of being allowed to play in Scotland. And if nothing else, surely that reaction to the Goodwillie signing shows that there is already a mechanism for change here? 

It is for the best we didn't comment on this, frankly. Say we support it: HYPOCRISY! YOU SIGNED RAPIST!. If we say we don't support it: IN DENIAL! LESSONS NOT LEARNED! SCUM! 

There.was absolutely nothing to be gained from responding to that. A rare sensible decision. 

Edited by Michael W

Something needs to be said from the board at some point, but I can see the sense in holding off until the Goodwillie contract position is sorted once and for all. Hopefully something can be sorted in the summer. 

At the moment we have a diddy cup final and Fife derby to concentrate on. 

58 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Something needs to be said from the board at some point, but I can see the sense in holding off until the Goodwillie contract position is sorted once and for all. Hopefully something can be sorted in the summer. 

Agreed. It continues to annoy me they haven't said anything, but what we really need is a proper explainer. 

A narrow comment on a Guardian journalist's opinion piece isn't it. 

2 hours ago, Michael W said:

Agreed. It continues to annoy me they haven't said anything, but what we really need is a proper explainer. 

A narrow comment on a Guardian journalist's opinion piece isn't it. 

Not sure I agree. A simple release that RRFC is unable to comment further upon the DG situation due to ongoing negotiations regarding the termination of his contract, and that the Club is happy to support moves by the SFA toward understanding the roles of players and staff in society, and their influence upon the young and the impressionable. Only after understanding this can an inclusive policy be established to move Scottish football forward.

See, difficult, wasn’t it? No quote on DG that can be weaponized against us. Support for changes that the SFA finds necessary to establish due to players role model position. Used “inclusive” and is forward looking. To me, that would be the BoD taking the piss again, but at least the Club would not be implicitly named as on the wrong side still. Ideally, Susan Simpson would have issued this statement.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

These 'our team' videos on Raith TV have been a good wee watch. 

Agreed, there is a quality in their work that shows the players trust them. Let's see some of the longer player specials back please. The hour long specials in my lugs while I walk the dog are much appreciated. 

Are they covering the final tomorrow? 

5 minutes ago, The Tiel Burn said:

Agreed, there is a quality in their work that shows the players trust them. Let's see some of the longer player specials back please. The hour long specials in my lugs while I walk the dog are much appreciated. 

Are they covering the final tomorrow? 

Unless there is an unforeseen covid outbreak in the RaithTV team tomorrow… yes! Video coverage for international subscribers (audio otherwise) if the connection is good enough at the ground. 

Less concerned about the lack of a response to the Guardian article, more concerned about the complete absence of communication with the wider fanbase beyond a few early meetings with supporters groups. They are still sat in their bunker waiting for it to all to just go away or us to win the diddy cup as a distraction. Piss poor leadership. 

Two candidates for the supporters director and surprising none are the moaning faced hoors on this forum

Ffs give a rest till the end of the season and see what happens then. If nothing i,m sure you,ll have the support of the majority

Moaning and griping on here on every thread isnt,t going to achieve anything and is getting tiresome

Sure Val mcDermids team are looking for additional supporters

53 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Two candidates for the supporters director and surprising none are the moaning faced hoors on this forum

Ffs give a rest till the end of the season and see what happens then. If nothing i,m sure you,ll have the support of the majority

Moaning and griping on here on every thread isnt,t going to achieve anything and is getting tiresome

Sure Val mcDermids team are looking for additional supporters

Plenty of legitimate reasons why someone might not have the time to fairly devote to being a director that doesn't invalidate criticism levelled at the board.

15 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

Congratulations Rovers. Must be sweet with all the bad shit that has happened. Now go and get beat by Dunfermline. Thanks.

Theres every chance thats what will happen, after all we cant have our near neighbours going down........................ or can we 😉😈