The New Raith Rovers Thread

36 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Lang is likely one of our higher paid players, how is that a strange way to look at it?

On what basis do you reckon he's expensive? Because he's handsome? Remember where we got him. I'm not sure I agree with your valuation. 

8 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

On what basis do you reckon he's expensive? Because he's handsome? Remember where we got him. I'm not sure I agree with your valuation. 

Understand, but he was a JMcG two year signing, converting to full time and glowingly described by John. Do you have an argument for why he’s cheap as chips?

23 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Understand, but he was a JMcG two year signing, converting to full time and glowingly described by John. Do you have an argument for why he’s cheap as chips?

Berra and Bene would both have been on more money than Lang. I would keep Lang over Nolan but we still need a further 2 signings in that position. 

1 hour ago, kirkcaldybanjo111 said:

Good 

Yeah, good news that our top scorer is possibly going to sign for our biggest rivals. Scored 25 goals in two seasons from right midfield and however many assists. Insane to think that’s anything other than a terrible proposition. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yeah, good news that our top scorer is possibly going to sign for our biggest rivals. Scored 25 goals in two seasons from right midfield and however many assists. Insane to think that’s anything other than a terrible proposition. 

Euan Murray our top scorer.who knew.

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think you'll find he was talking about Euan Murray

I very much doubt that Connolly has signed a pca with our neighbours as they'd be gloating all over our threads that they've signed him.

As for player out of contract and their wages, neither I or Tx or uncle tom cobbly n all know what wages players are on, and at the end of the day its Murray who has to manage whatever budget hes given, it might be in his own interests to start weeding out some of Mcglynn signings Lang Dick and Nolan are not indispensable by any stretch of the imagination 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

40 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I very much doubt that Connolly has signed a pca with our neighbours as they'd be gloating all over our threads that they've signed him.

As for player out of contract and their wages, neither I or Tx or uncle tom cobbly n all know what wages players are on, and at the end of the day its Murray who has to manage whatever budget hes given, it might be in his own interests to start weeding out some of Mcglynn signings Lang Dick and Nolan are not indispensable by any stretch of the imagination 

100% correct, but I think that if we were all sat down and had to order expected salaries from a list of players, we’d all have pretty similar lists. On the indispensable list, who do we have?

Brown…perhaps MacDonald (I’m worrying more now about if we’d even risk offering more than a one year deal, and someone else might pip up to the post, or if we should even think beyond one year for Jamma)…we’d like Connolly…maybe Stanton (when playing forward, not deep)…eh, Millen?

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

100% correct, but I think that if we were all sat down and had to order expected salaries from a list of players, we’d all have pretty similar lists. On the indispensable list, who do we have?

Brown…perhaps MacDonald (I’m worrying more now about if we’d even risk offering more than a one year deal, and someone else might pip up to the post, or if we should even think beyond one year for Jamma)…we’d like Connolly…maybe Stanton (when playing forward, not deep)…eh, Millen?

McDonald may now only want yearly deals unless he wants to call it a day now, Connolly and Stanton much like Brown are pretty much in the build a team around them bracket

FWIW I actually thought Nolan was a pretty decent player, yes there are better out there but can we afford them ? I highly doubt it (pending said investment), however I'd definitely give him another season, he's only 24 and would be an excellent back up, but he also has a great opportunity to develop into a stronger player for us rather than one of our competitors.

Not sure guessing salaries/player add ons as a measure of whether we should be signing players or not is helpful.

If we want to be aiming for a play off places next season, we need a decent goalkeeper.

MacDonald proved again yesterday he can do the job.

Who else to keep that isn’t signed?

I’d love Connolly to stay. POTY last year, top goal scorer this season (reckon he would have got more if others saw sense and let him take more free kicks!). Can see others in the Championship looking at him for this reason.

Nolan has been, at best, the 4th best centre half that has played in a Rovers shirt at some point this season if you include Berra’s cameo. Would not be a starter for a top Championship team unless he becomes more commanding. 

Dick is similar to Nolan in that he can do a job but isn’t comparable to players in his position further up the league. Had some solid games but also had some god awful moments too. Never hit the heights of Kieran MacDonald in my opinion.

Lang is the one I’d keep. 100% will make mistakes as still has lots to learn but has that fire you need when the chips are down.

Spencer is good but something is going on there. Doesn’t sign on again until later on last season and not tied down again right now. A ball moving deep lying midfielder is maybe the easiest player type to replace at this level, but will they be as good as him though?

The modern apprentice guys, outside Masson and McNeil, haven’t done anything really of note with our team. The Manager works with them on the training ground so we have to trust his judgement.

McBride and McGill would be lucky to be re-signed beyond squad bolstering players from what I’ve seen.

Most of the rest are under contract and can’t see much movement there. Brown POTY and will be a mainstay next year. Easton excites or frustrates, mainly because he sometimes slows down the play with questionable decisions, but is capable of the spectacular. Tumilty was better than Millen in my opinion, but not greatly so, and I actually think the lack of a decent centre forward has done Ross no favours as his delivery is good, but guys like Akio are just clueless and never in position. Stanton is a class act on his day, really wish he would be played higher up the park more often. Vaughan is a hero, and with a pre-season under his belt is facing a do or die season next year if he wants to make a case for being a Premier League player, and call me optimistic but I think he will do it.

But make no mistake, Gullan has a terrible injury record and we can’t afford for him to play less than 25 games again this season. Ethan Ross has sadly done very little this season, another one with potential but we can’t miss for another half a season. Will be interesting to see what happens with those two if an opportunity presents itself for them to move on.

Hopeful Ross Matthews comes back strong too. Easy to forget how crucial he has been over the years in important wins.

58 minutes ago, Raithfan2711 said:

Not sure guessing salaries/player add ons as a measure of whether we should be signing players or not is helpful.

If we want to be aiming for a play off places next season, we need a decent goalkeeper.

MacDonald proved again yesterday he can do the job.

Who else to keep that isn’t signed?

I’d love Connolly to stay. POTY last year, top goal scorer this season (reckon he would have got more if others saw sense and let him take more free kicks!). Can see others in the Championship looking at him for this reason.

Nolan has been, at best, the 4th best centre half that has played in a Rovers shirt at some point this season if you include Berra’s cameo. Would not be a starter for a top Championship team unless he becomes more commanding. 

Dick is similar to Nolan in that he can do a job but isn’t comparable to players in his position further up the league. Had some solid games but also had some god awful moments too. Never hit the heights of Kieran MacDonald in my opinion.

Lang is the one I’d keep. 100% will make mistakes as still has lots to learn but has that fire you need when the chips are down.

Spencer is good but something is going on there. Doesn’t sign on again until later on last season and not tied down again right now. A ball moving deep lying midfielder is maybe the easiest player type to replace at this level, but will they be as good as him though?

The modern apprentice guys, outside Masson and McNeil, haven’t done anything really of note with our team. The Manager works with them on the training ground so we have to trust his judgement.

McBride and McGill would be lucky to be re-signed beyond squad bolstering players from what I’ve seen.

Most of the rest are under contract and can’t see much movement there. Brown POTY and will be a mainstay next year. Easton excites or frustrates, mainly because he sometimes slows down the play with questionable decisions, but is capable of the spectacular. Tumilty was better than Millen in my opinion, but not greatly so, and I actually think the lack of a decent centre forward has done Ross no favours as his delivery is good, but guys like Akio are just clueless and never in position. Stanton is a class act on his day, really wish he would be played higher up the park more often. Vaughan is a hero, and with a pre-season under his belt is facing a do or die season next year if he wants to make a case for being a Premier League player, and call me optimistic but I think he will do it.

But make no mistake, Gullan has a terrible injury record and we can’t afford for him to play less than 25 games again this season. Ethan Ross has sadly done very little this season, another one with potential but we can’t miss for another half a season. Will be interesting to see what happens with those two if an opportunity presents itself for them to move on.

Hopeful Ross Matthews comes back strong too. Easy to forget how crucial he has been over the years in important wins.

McGill would be very useful, plays nearly anywhere in an acceptable manner or better. Has shown some flashes, would like to see him get a chance.

Easton…Easton is signed, but his back worries me. It’s like Spencer or Ross…will his back get better or worse…will he miss 10 teams a season.

Ross, there’s a player there, we spent the money to fix him (right?!), so let’s hope he ramps it up.

Gullan, perhap he also got fixed, but I’m not as hopeful…but I’d he’s right…

Vaughan terrifies me with every tackle…I can’t imagine the place he must be in mentally.

I’d keep McBride, gets better every time I see him.

Midfield with Matthews coming back, and McGill signing will be OK, at the back and up front should be the priority.

He might not be the greatest player in the world but a dirty big centre half like Ayr have would ideal

Edited by Beastie Russell